Aftermath of the Verge PC build - 2 years of bullying

Vishera
3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Like you said in the OP, they made a mistake, but what made it worse is how they reacted after it; the strikes/claims against certain YouTubers, etc.

I'll give you that, the memes became stale.

It's still a little funny. 

I'd have sympathy if their reaction hadn't been to automatically play the race card, then start firing out DMCA takedowns at anyone who rightfully criticized them. 

If they were to apologize, perhaps I would feel sorry for them, but we know that won't happen. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

People are still giving him shit for this? After 2 years ? (wow seriously, its been 2 years!?)

The fact that many of them are just following him just to shit on everything he does or say as soon as he post it, is frankly pathetic.

I mean, yeah, there were some mistakes, but nothing that should warrant such bullying over a long period of time. Even if someone were to follow their guide to the letter, it would still result in a working PC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

57 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Even if someone were to follow their guide to the letter, it would still result in a working PC.

Not if they used a conductive thermal paste. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

People are still giving him shit for this? After 2 years ? (wow seriously, its been 2 years!?)

The fact that many of them are just following him just to shit on everything he does or say as soon as he post it, is frankly pathetic.

Agreed, but there's not much the LTT forum, or LMG can do. Linus making a video about it would more likely have the opposite effect, and then you'll have reminded people, or informed new viewers about it. People need to let this go, really.

I mean, yeah, there were some mistakes, but nothing that should warrant such bullying over a long period of time.

Agreed, it's been 2 years not sure why people keep harassing him. But while the guide was just that (mistakes), the subsequent reaction (DMCA takedown, ignoring legit critics by calling them racists and jealous, and doubling down that he did nothing wrong) is his own doing, and my guess is, that's why people are trolling him, still.

As @SansVarnic mentioned, they should've owned up to it, apologize and I would argue they should've taken Linus on his offer to make a colab, explaining the mistakes and issues.

Even if someone were to follow their guide to the letter, it would still result in a working PC.

Not sure, there are plenty of people in here that have issues with new builds that followed perfectly fine YT guides, his had issues with vague instructions and bad camera angles, not sure a noob would have no issues if they followed along, even with the same parts.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

They have influence,not control,it could help if influencers condemn this behavior,and some of those bullies are viewers of Linus Tech Tips...

No one cares besides those on the forum for what the mods have to say. And Linus, he has voiced his very strong disapproval of the video and the subsequent copyright shenanigans. I doubt that he would suddenly change his stance because of some guy on the forum who has a lot of posts. Like it or not, the verge guy made his bed, and now he has to lay on it. Worse yet, he shat in it, but refuses to say he did. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

first rule of dealing with fementing cesspool: dont stir the cesspool.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Twitter is just garbage. If you really care about this after two years then you are a bit weird. 

On 8/15/2020 at 2:31 PM, Vishera said:

2 years have past,and yet some people from the PC enthusiast community bully and harass Stefan Etienne to this day,

All day every day Etienne exeprience cyber-bullying,His twitter account is full of bullies.and his twitch too.

Everyone makes mistakes,but nobody deserve harassment and bullying for a bad PC build guide...

This issue must be brought to the forefront and condemned by influencers and the community.

I think that @LinusTech should do a video condemning that behavior,Bullying is not ok.

Please @leadeater, @wkdpaul pass it to the higher ups at LMG.

From today:

From yesterday:

Since when did this count as bullying? Worlds gone bloody soft.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

The other issue is, if for example BitWit or LMG would release a video or statement in some way that the behaviour of those VERY FEW people is inappropriate, it would probably cause another resurgence in people who know about it already and would call up the Streisand effect all over again.

Exactly I agree, If maybe the video somehow makes him wake up and do an apology video, that'd be nice. But at this point that is pretty unlikley. He still acts as if the PC was perfect.

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

On 8/15/2020 at 6:19 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

also he addressed it already 

Yeah, but since it was on Sara's second channel, not a lot of LTT fans have saw it.

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

On 8/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, Vishera said:

They have influence,not control,

Fasle. We have zero influence on LMG as a company in terms of video or topic ideas. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Fasle. We have zero influence on LMG as a company in terms of video or topic ideas. 

You misunderstood me,I was talking about LMG itself,not the moderators.

Anyway i gave up on it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 8/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, Vishera said:

What you are saying could be right,but it feels wrong to watch and do nothing about it...

This isn't genocide in Rwanda. The dude is a grown man, getting snide tweets on a social network. He is free to ignore them. Twitter has controls that will let him block them. Or, he can just stop using Twitter, as this type of thing is pretty much what you get on Twitter regardless. It's not our job or your job to defend him, and frankly it's just ridiculous to even imply that it is.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On 8/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, Vishera said:

It's not funny anymore.

It's never been funny considering he probably didn't even choose to film that video and just did what he was asked.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, lewdicrous said:

I would've had more sympathy for them if they owned up to it, released a corrected video (I believe Steve-GN also offered to help them), and didn't go after YouTubers, but I think it's 2 years too late.

That's not up to this person in particular but rather to The Verge as a company. Harassing this guy is pointless and unfair. He never had a say in this.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, Chris Pratt said:

I'm not saying it's necessarily right or wrong, but it's the Streisand Effect. By trying to insist that you did nothing wrong, when anyone with two eyeballs and some grey matter behind knows you screwed up, means that people will definitely continue to ridicule you. Own it.

The Streisand effect refers to trying to hide information that is already widespread so it's not really applicable here in any meaningful way. Plus, in Streisand's case she was fully responsible for her actions whereas this man is an employee who was trying to do his job.

I won't blame anyone for not giving a bunch of losers what they demand just because they'll harass you if you don't (and let's face it, they'll probably keep harassing you anyway).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

The Streisand effect refers just to the case where an attempt to conceal something brings mass attention to what is to be cocealed, independent of how popular the "thing" is/was, not how popular it was in the first place.

By "widespread" I mean "freely available". The picture Streisand was trying to hide was on the Internet and therefore it was already beyond her ability to prevent its spread.

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

But to the second part... If he is the one who hosted it, wouldn't he have a say in it regarding the accuracy of information and whether he wanted to present it or not?

Almost certainly, no. Or at least not in to a level he would have felt comfortable doing. Of course they couldn't force him to host anything but typically you need a pretty good reason to refuse to do something your employer asks you to do. He probably said he hadn't done this before (or maybe he had, just with a simpler build or long enough ago that he forgot some aspects) and was told it was fine, to just give it a shot. He probably didn't pick the parts and he was the only one on set when the filming was scheduled to happen by someone else. From there to the video being uploaded it probably had to go through a lot of hands, from the editors to PR to someone who gave the final go-ahead on the upload. The Verge isn't the same as LMG where it's just a handful of people who only have to answer directly to the owner and the hosts are often also the writers. Even if he shares some responsibility it's definitely just a small part - and if he had absolutely refused the video would probably have still happened in the same way, just with a different host.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Almost certainly, no. Or at least not in to a level he would have felt comfortable doing. Of course they couldn't force him to host anything but typically you need a pretty good reason to refuse to do something your employer asks you to do. He probably said he hadn't done this before (or maybe he had, just with a simpler build or long enough ago that he forgot some aspects) and was told it was fine, to just give it a shot. He probably didn't pick the parts and he was the only one on set when the filming was scheduled to happen by someone else. From there to the video being uploaded it probably had to go through a lot of hands, from the editors to PR to someone who gave the final go-ahead on the upload. The Verge isn't the same as LMG where it's just a handful of people who only have to answer directly to the owner and the hosts are often also the writers. Even if he shares some responsibility it's definitely just a small part - and if he had absolutely refused the video would probably have still happened in the same way, just with a different host.

This is just a speculation,it's possible to argue about speculations for years and it will never end.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

This is just a speculation,it's possible to argue about speculations for years and it will never end.

I'm not the one harassing someone over that speculation though - and while I don't have definite proof of what I speculated it's still infinitely more likely than this guy making this video of his own initiative all by himself and uploading it without having anyone else look at it and approve its content. Even at LMG I wouldn't believe that happened.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Since when did this count as bullying? Worlds gone bloody soft.

3 hours ago, Benji said:

I would agree with that. Unless it is actually insulting or threatening, yeah, that would be bullying. But what does a meme, which is always supposed to be fun entertainment, have to do with bullying?

Well people have been constantly making fun of him for 2 years now. There is a very big difference between making fun with someone, and making fun AT someone. What people are doing here is the latter.

I don't think saying "hey, people should really stop bullying this person" when he has endured 2 years of people constantly mocking him for a bad video is "going soft".

I thought the video was shitty too, and their reactions like playing the race card and flagging others that talked about it was bad. But come on... 2 years and people still think it's funny? This thread is proof that The Internet Historian was wrong when he said:

But here is the thing about boomer humour. They don't know how to let a joke go. Once something is funny, it remains funny to them for years.

Seems like children also behaves this way.

If you want to see some truly pathetic people, check out the people making mean comments to Stefan. They are some grade A losers. Look at this person for example:

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.093740c43d040d52ee9a99744fbbc2e5.png

This person has spent months posting "lol hexa core" and "thermal paste haha so funny" at Stefan. The jokes aren't even good. They are just mean and shitty, and the dedication really solidifies what a colossal piece of shit this person is.

And this is not the only person who is like this. There are plenty more. I can't even laugh at this person because it's just sad how pathetic he/she is.

Just now, Benji said:

Great example! I wouldn't even look at that and ignore it because it is neither funny, nor insulting, nor has any purpose. He is a twat, I have to agree with it. But can't you block users on Twitter? He would've disappeared after the 3rd horrible joke if it were me.

You block one another 2 emerge...

Also blocking people all day is bothersome.

The hypocrisy of a bunch of anonymous trolls harassing people online, without admitting any wrongdoing, and hiding behind "not owning up to his mistakes" is just too much. It's just prison rape: no matter how much you tell yourself that the victim is guilty of X, Y  or Z, you're still a rapist. Claims that the trolls are any better than him are just laughable.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, SansVarnic said:

Just my 2 cents, if Etienne wants it to stop he knows what steps to take.

No, there aren't any steps to take, because nothing he does or stops doing will change the fact that a significant part of the population is plain retarded.

We all saw the video and how bad it was. Some of us have a life, others keep twitting about it.

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well people have been constantly making fun of him for 2 years now. There is a very big difference between making fun with someone, and making fun AT someone. What people are doing here is the latter.

I don't think saying "hey, people should really stop bullying this person" when he has endured 2 years of people constantly mocking him for a bad video is "going soft".

I thought the video was shitty too, and their reactions like playing the race card and flagging others that talked about it was bad. But come on... 2 years and people still think it's funny? This thread is proof that The Internet Historian was wrong when he said:

Seems like children also behaves this way.

If you want to see some truly pathetic people, check out the people making mean comments to Stefan. They are some grade A losers. Look at this person for example:

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled.thumb.png.093740c43d040d52ee9a99744fbbc2e5.png

This person has spent months posting "lol hexa core" and "thermal paste haha so funny" at Stefan. The jokes aren't even good. They are just mean and shitty, and the dedication really solidifies what a colossal piece of shit this person is.

And this is not the only person who is like this. There are plenty more. I can't even laugh at this person because it's just sad how pathetic he/she is.

It's people posting pictures of thermal past on his tweets. He's also a "journalist", if you put work out to the internet it's what you expect never mind how he's a massive wanker which just invites more. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 hours ago, George Vella said:

Yeah, but since it was on Sara's second channel, not a lot of LTT fans have saw it.

That's the point, he explains why he didn't make a video on his main channel addressing it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I really don't get how people are defending him or the Verge. It's not about a joke or thinking it's funny for two years. 

The Verge is a technology news website. This isn't like some guy that has his own website or Youtube that produces videos; the person who made the video is employed, paid, to produce content and made a video that with 30 minutes worth of research, would have been shown to be incorrect in several areas. The level of ignorance and incompetence in regards to basic terms, best practices and common knowledge are not even the reason for its continued attention.

It's videos like this:

and the actions of Vox Media that have kept it alive and rightfully so. That type of attitude, when they're supposed to be educating is abysmal and deserving of the attention he continues to get. If a follow-up video was made addressing the corrections, or if he even bothered to have the video watched by someone remotely experienced, they would have avoided all the of the backlash and continued targeting.

His lack of modesty and responsibility as a journalist, and the organizations that have supported this and lashed out in brutal ways, are wholly attributable to why it is the way it is, and no one should feel bad for holding them accountable. 

Just now, divito said:

I really don't get how people are defending him or the Verge. It's not about a joke or thinking it's funny for two years. 

The Verge is a technology news website. This isn't like some guy that has his own website or Youtube that produces videos; the person who made the video is employed, paid, to produce content and made a video that with 30 minutes worth of research, would have been shown to be incorrect in several areas. The level of ignorance and incompetence in regards to basic terms, best practices and common knowledge are not even the reason for its continued attention.

It's videos like this:

Spoiler

and the actions of Vox Media that have kept it alive and rightfully so. That type of attitude, when they're supposed to be educating is abysmal and deserving of the attention he continues to get. If a follow-up video was made addressing the corrections, or if he even bothered to have the video watched by someone remotely experienced, they would have avoided all the of the backlash and continued targeting.

His lack of modesty and responsibility as a journalist, and the organizations that have supported this and lashed out in brutal ways, are wholly attributable to why it is the way it is, and no one should feel bad for holding them accountable. 

You got it all wrong,nobody justifies nor defends the actions of The Verge,Vox Media and Stefan Etienne,

We simply condemn bullying,2 years is a long time and people are harassing the guy nowdays.

I am certain that all of us agree about what happened 2 years ago,yes it was a bad PC build guide and their response to criticism just made the situation worse.

But that was 2 years ago,for some reason some people are harassing the guy 2 years after...

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You got it all wrong,nobody justifies nor defends the actions of The Verge,Vox Media and Stefan Etienne,

We simply condemn bullying,2 years is a long time and people are harassing the guy nowdays.

I am certain that all of us agree about what happened 2 years ago,yes it was a bad PC build guide and their response to criticism just made the situation worse.

But that was 2 years ago,for some reason some people are harassing the guy 2 years after...

So you've watched the video and seen his other comments? Because it's been 2 years, his attitude and treatment of the community he serves is completely fine?