Aftermath of the Verge PC build - 2 years of bullying

Vishera
Just now, lewdicrous said:

I think you need to know about the Streisand effect. I feel like that's why it became as big a news as it did.

I know about that,that's why it was that bad - because of their poor reaction to critical comments.

I still stand behind this:

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Doesn't matter,what's going on right now is bullying and must be stopped.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I know about that,that's why it was that bad - because of their poor reaction to critical comments.

I still stand behind this:

To me, anyone who unironically keeps doing things like this is an idiot. However, like I said, I would've had more sympathy for them if they didn't do what they did, but as it stands, I don't have enough to care.

I feel like LTT telling people to stop will just make more people do it.

34 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's not the point, @warmongerp @RollinLower why harass the guy for so long?,people should just leave him be.

Doesn't matter if he is right or wrong,it's going on for years.

So, holocaust deniers are wrong, but it doesn't matter anymore since it's been going on for years? 

When I correlated the two in my mind it made me laugh so had to post

this isnt aimed at anyone in the thread, it just made me giggle - timestamped

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, divito said:

So, holocaust deniers are wrong, but it doesn't matter anymore since it's been going on for years? 

I knew someone would bring up something like that...

That's just a bad PC build guide,not a genocide that he denies.

Genocides are remembered for thousands of years and are written in history books,PC build guides are not the same...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Bully him ? like specifically him? Have you seen the amount of trolls on literally every other youtubers each tweets?  that's twitter for you. Peoples first mistake is trying to find sanity from it's users.

Details separate people.

35 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This one is better.

Feels bad for that guy though, 100% of his twitter replies are about thermal paste. 

No it's horrible, no offense. But joking about Beirut isn't funny at all.....the guy who said that should mind his own business.

That one hit me hard af.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

Bully him ? like specifically him? Have you seen the amount of trolls on literally every other youtubers each tweets?  that's twitter for you. Peoples first mistake is trying to find sanity from it's users.

When most of the comments on his twitter are about thermal paste,and often all of them - you know that's way above normal trolling.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

When most of the comments on his twitter are about thermal paste,and often all of them - you know that's way above normal trolling.

you should see comments about Linus dropping something replies on pics he tweet. he only realistically dropped like maybe 5 or 6 things properly onto the ground in his entire career that you can deem as "dropped". but everyone call him butterfingers for the wonky handling for anything & everything.

Details separate people.

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I knew someone would bring up something like that...

That's just a bad PC build guide,not a genocide that he denies.

Genocides are remembered for thousands of years and are written in history books,PC build guides are not the same...

They are not the same, but logic doesn't care about that. Your stance is that because it's been going on for years, he shouldn't be reminded that he was wrong or made mistakes any further. Applying that logic to other situations showcases that it doesn't and shouldn't work that way. Just because the stakes were low because it's a PC build and didn't involve people's lives doesn't change the actual scenario. 

From all accounts, Verge and the person in question have been brazen, unapologetic and not humble in regards to this. If they took a rational perspective and apologized, or did some type of reasonable follow-up given that they're a media company, there would be far less attention. But given their responses and actions since it happened, people are rightly not letting them get away with that type of behavior. 

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

you should see comments about Linus dropping something replies on pics he tweet.

Latest Linus tweet:

Not much memes and trolls here.

Etienne's latest tweet:

Almost all of the replies are about the verge PC build...

Not the same

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Latest Linus tweet:

Etienne's latest tweet:

Not the same

The difference is Linus has always been responsible and accountable for his remarks and comments. He has apologized or offered explanations in countless situations.

Just now, divito said:

They are not the same, but logic doesn't care about that. Your stance is that because it's been going on for years, he shouldn't be reminded that he was wrong or made mistakes any further. Applying that logic to other situations showcases that it doesn't and shouldn't work that way. Just because the stakes were low because it's a PC build and didn't involve people's lives doesn't change the actual scenario. 

From all accounts, Verge and the person in question have been brazen, unapologetic and not humble in regards to this. If they took a rational perspective and apologized, or did some type of reasonable follow-up given that they're a media company, there would be far less attention. But given their responses and actions since it happened, people are rightly not letting them get away with that type of behavior. 

You seem to understand my stance very well,

But i suspect our conflicted opinions will not change.

1 minute ago, divito said:

The difference is Linus has always been responsible and accountable for his remarks and comments. He has apologized or offered explanations in countless situations.

That's what incited the anger and later on bullying,but no matter the excuse i think people should just leave him be.

Twitter is a stupid website anyway.

I think even if he "apologized" for the crappy build guide (seriously who cares?) people would not let it go and keep on spamming him.

53 minutes ago, Vishera said:

They have influence,not control,it could help if influencers condemn this behavior,and some of those bullies are viewers of Linus Tech Tips...

white knighting has never worked ever.

Do you seriously believe that LMG making a video will make these people go "oh...maybe i'm being too harsh"? a small minority of LTT viewers maybe, but the rest are trolls, i remember when the go to tactic on the internet was "don't feed the trolls".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

white knighting has never worked ever.

Do you seriously believe that LMG making a video will make these people go "oh...maybe i'm being too harsh"? a small minority of LTT viewers maybe, but the rest are trolls, i remember when the go to tactic on the internet was "don't feed the trolls".

What you are saying could be right,but it feels wrong to watch and do nothing about it...

-= Moved to Off topic =-

Just my 2 cents, if Etienne wants it to stop he knows what steps to take.

Personally, I don't feel bad for him for not standing up for himself properly, people will stop when he does what he needs to do. Additionally, you are fighting a very uphill battle and taking on no-win for someone that hasn't earned your support, you may feel differently of course but there is a difference between bullying and being called out for their behavior, you have blurred the two.

Linus doing a video on this wont help, besides he has already condemned bullying in the past and people know his stance.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

All day every day Etienne exeprience cyber-bullying,His twitter account is full of bullies.and his twitch too.

Everyone makes mistakes,but nobody deserve harassment and bullying

Memes are not bullying. Stop being so weak

It obviously doesn´t bother him after two years or he would have deleted his social media and twitch account a long time ago and yet white knights like you still come unrequested to his aid.

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Latest Linus tweet:

Not much memes and trolls here.

Etienne's latest tweet:

Not the same

Difference is that hes averaging around 5-20 replies at most & peaking at rare above 30+ Most of his regular tweets have no problems relating to thermal paste trolling. but i can see some of them going pointless & overboard as a funny reply in certain images.

meanwhile Linus gets 100s-1000s' over-flooding replies on all ranges under minutes. Just on that tweet of Linus theres sponsor shill comment,clickbait accusation, pletheroa of repeat memes,drop troll reply . this is on every tweet reply as you expand to more reply on the tweets. that's basically twitter & it's user base. a huge chunk of idiots & a few bunch of ordinary people using it for what it is.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Doesn't matter,what's going on right now is bullying and must be stopped.

I don't want to crush your dreams, but that's exactly what I'm going to do.
No amount of talking, discussing, berating, condemning or any other form of "Please don't do this its bad" will stop any of it.

The only way to stop it is to pretty much just ignore it and wait for people to get bored by it.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

9 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Difference is that hes averaging around 5-20 replies at most & peaking at rare above 30+ Most of his regular tweets have no problems relating to thermal paste trolling. but i can see some of them going pointless & overboard as a funny reply in certain images.

meanwhile Linus gets 100s-1000s' over-flooding replies on all ranges under minutes. Just on that tweet of Linus theres sponsor shill comment,clickbait accusation, pletheroa of repeat memes,drop troll reply . this is on every tweet reply as you expand to more reply on the tweets. that's basically twitter & it's user base. a huge chunk of idiots & a few bunch of ordinary people using it for what it is.

11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to Off topic =-

Just my 2 cents, if Etienne wants it to stop he knows what steps to take.

Personally, I don't feel bad for him for not standing up for himself properly, people will stop when he does what he needs to do. Additionally, you are fighting a very uphill battle and taking on no-win for someone that hasn't earned your support, you may feel differently of course but there is a difference between bullying and being called out for their behavior, you have blurred the two.

Linus doing a video on this wont help, besides he has already condemned bullying in the past and people know his stance.

I agree,I will probably give up on it,both of your replies are logical and make sense.

At least we have had a civilized and fruitful discussion here about the topic

Have you heard of streisand effect ?

also he addressed it already 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This one is better.

Feelsbad for that guy though, 100% of his twitter replies are about thermal paste. 

While I’m kind of indifferent to the whole Verge PC build scandal and the constant scorn the guy has received over the two years, I have to admit that this comment gave me a mild laugh. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…