Monitor gets no signal when starting pc

TristanN

Hi,

when I turn my PC on my monitor gets no signal. The PC itself turns on (fans spin up, LEDs turn on, can hear hard drive working, etc), but the monitor gets no signal and eventually just goes into energy saver mode. My motherboard shows a "00" error, which isn't helpful looking at the manual.

I have had this issue in recent months from time to time, but usually turning the pc off and on again a few times fixed it.

What I have tried:

• Multiple restarts
  • Using different monitor cables (hdmi and another display port)
  • Connect monitor to different port
  • Test with another monitor (also no signal)
  • Plug monitor into motherboard
  • Unplug/re-plug all parts
  • Replace CMOS battery

One issue that I have been having for the past couple of years is that every now and then the monitor goes black while gaming. Display goes black for 1-2 seconds, then back to normal. Usually happens once every 2 hours or so. Could never get it fixed... tried different cable for monitor, checked temps, but everything is fine.

Not sure if that's a related issue and maybe the GPU is the culprit. The fans on the GPU do spin up then turn of as expected, but a few times now they've gotten stuck going on and off (don't know if that's normal)... video here: https://imgur.com/LfoQxYg

I have had the PC for maybe 4 or 5 years. I am not sure about all the parts but here's what I know:

• ASUS Maximus VII Hero
  • EVGA GTX 970
  • i7-4790K
  • CX750M
  • AW3418DW

I was planning on building a new PC after new AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs launch, would really suck to have to replace the GPU now.

Thanks a lot for the help!

With Intel CPUs it is easy to troubleshoot a faulty GPU.  Just plug the monitor into the MoBo and see if you get a signal from the Intel integrated graphics.  This worked for me a month ago when my GPU got real funky.  I was able to run off the integrated graphics until a new GPU  came in.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

With Intel CPUs it is easy to troubleshoot a faulty GPU.  Just plug the monitor into the MoBo and see if you get a signal from the Intel integrated graphics.  This worked for me a month ago when my GPU got real funky.  I was able to run off the integrated graphics until a new GPU  came in.

Unfortunately no integrated graphics. I'm not sure the exact model and can't find the box, but I bought the cpu in 2015, think only newer ones have integrated graphics.

I found the order email, I have a  i7-4790K, so has integrated graphics.... not sure why it's not working.

2 hours ago, Dudeinfire99 said:

Try changing/re-installing the psu or the video card.

I don't have another psu or gpu to test with, I would have to buy them new... don't you think the psu is fine if the pc turns on, fans/leds turn on, hard drives spin up, etc., or can it still be faulty?

Thanks!

I bought a new PSU, will see if that works, thanks for the help

To update on this, I replaced the PSU but no luck. I now get a red CPU Light with a 00 Post Code, so I guess the CPU is dead. Could be motherboard too but from reading other forum posts most likely CPU.