Is it possible to replace an Optiplex fan?

RealEWF

I'm using an optiplex 360 DT and I plan on upgrading the CPU to a Quad, but I don't know if the fan is sufficient for cooling the CPU.

If the fan is insufficient for cooling the Quad, is it possible to replace the said fan and is it worth it?

Do you mean the fan or the cooler/heatsink? The fans are most likely standard components and should be replaceable.

11 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Do you mean the fan or the cooler/heatsink? The fans are most likely standard components and should be replaceable

The Fan bro. I want to replace it if it isn't sufficient for cooling a Quad Processor

There are adapters on eBay that will let you use a standard fan. The bigger issue is that I don’t think the 360 supports  quad-core CPUs.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There are adapters on eBay that will let you use a standard fan. The bigger issue is that I don’t think the 360 supports  quad-core CPUs.

Q6600 and Q6700?

16 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

Q6600 and Q6700?

I don’t think the 360 supports them. Not positive though

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I don’t think the 360 supports them. Not positive though

G31 socket supports those. I'm just not sure if the cooling fan is sufficient for it.

5 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

G31 socket supports those. I'm just not sure if the cooling fan is sufficient for it.

If a C2Q on Dell’s compatibility list, the fan will handle it. As much crap as I give them about everything else, they’ve always taken great care with their Optis, and that includes documentation. If it does run too hot, the heatsink is more likely the issue. The 360 was a budget, cut down 760, so it probably came equipped with only the aluminum heatsink. If you need copper, they’re cheap on eBay.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If a C2Q on Dell’s compatibility list, the fan will handle it. As much crap as I give them about everything else, they’ve always taken great care with their Optis, and that includes documentation. If it does run too hot, the heatsink is more likely the issue. The 360 was a budget, cut down 760, so it probably came equipped with only the aluminum heatsink. If you need copper, they’re cheap on eBay.

Thank you bro

1 minute ago, RealEWF said:

Thank you bro

Np. If you do go C2Q, make it a Q6600 and tape mod it. Half a cent of electrical tape gets you a 20% performance bump.

30 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

So uh... Any link to the copper heatsink? 

3 hours ago, RealEWF said:

So uh... Any link to the copper heatsink? 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=optiplex+360+copper+heatsink&_sacat=0

Searching on a phone sucks, but it's going to be in there somewhere. Is the cooling just totally not doing it? What do your temps look like? I've run taped Q6600s in small form factor Optiplexes with worse cooling than the DT on many occasions. Never had one throttle.

24 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=optiplex+360+copper+heatsink&_sacat=0

Searching on a phone sucks, but it's going to be in there somewhere. Is the cooling just totally not doing it? What do your temps look like? I've run taped Q6600s in small form factor Optiplexes with worse cooling than the DT on many occasions. Never had one throttle.

No man, I'm book marking just in case I need it. I'm prolly gonna get the processor in a few weeks or more. Thanks and sorry for bothering you

2 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

No man, I'm book marking just in case I need it. I'm prolly gonna get the processor in a few weeks or more. Thanks and sorry for bothering you

No worries. You just happen to have piqued the interest of someone who's got a very strong affinity for LGA 775 and LGA 1155 Optis, and loves to see them unleashed to their full potential. I'm always happy to help someone who wants to take a poor, neglected inventory management PC out of its dusty back room and make it into the most Opti of Plexes.