Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RealEWF

Is it possible to replace an Optiplex fan?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm using an optiplex 360 DT and I plan on upgrading the CPU to a Quad, but I don't know if the fan is sufficient for cooling the CPU.

 

If the fan is insufficient for cooling the Quad, is it possible to replace the said fan and is it worth it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Do you mean the fan or the cooler/heatsink? The fans are most likely standard components and should be replaceable

The Fan bro. I want to replace it if it isn't sufficient for cooling a Quad Processor

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are adapters on eBay that will let you use a standard fan. The bigger issue is that I don’t think the 360 supports  quad-core CPUs.


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There are adapters on eBay that will let you use a standard fan. The bigger issue is that I don’t think the 360 supports  quad-core CPUs.

Q6600 and Q6700?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

Q6600 and Q6700?

I don’t think the 360 supports them. Not positive though


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I don’t think the 360 supports them. Not positive though

G31 socket supports those. I'm just not sure if the cooling fan is sufficient for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

G31 socket supports those. I'm just not sure if the cooling fan is sufficient for it.

If a C2Q on Dell’s compatibility list, the fan will handle it. As much crap as I give them about everything else, they’ve always taken great care with their Optis, and that includes documentation. If it does run too hot, the heatsink is more likely the issue. The 360 was a budget, cut down 760, so it probably came equipped with only the aluminum heatsink. If you need copper, they’re cheap on eBay.


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If a C2Q on Dell’s compatibility list, the fan will handle it. As much crap as I give them about everything else, they’ve always taken great care with their Optis, and that includes documentation. If it does run too hot, the heatsink is more likely the issue. The 360 was a budget, cut down 760, so it probably came equipped with only the aluminum heatsink. If you need copper, they’re cheap on eBay.

Thank you bro

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RealEWF said:

Thank you bro

Np. If you do go C2Q, make it a Q6600 and tape mod it. Half a cent of electrical tape gets you a 20% performance bump.


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If a C2Q on Dell’s compatibility list, the fan will handle it. As much crap as I give them about everything else, they’ve always taken great care with their Optis, and that includes documentation. If it does run too hot, the heatsink is more likely the issue. The 360 was a budget, cut down 760, so it probably came equipped with only the aluminum heatsink. If you need copper, they’re cheap on eBay.

So uh... Any link to the copper heatsink? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RealEWF said:

So uh... Any link to the copper heatsink? 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=optiplex+360+copper+heatsink&_sacat=0

 

Searching on a phone sucks, but it's going to be in there somewhere. Is the cooling just totally not doing it? What do your temps look like? I've run taped Q6600s in small form factor Optiplexes with worse cooling than the DT on many occasions. Never had one throttle.


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=optiplex+360+copper+heatsink&_sacat=0

 

Searching on a phone sucks, but it's going to be in there somewhere. Is the cooling just totally not doing it? What do your temps look like? I've run taped Q6600s in small form factor Optiplexes with worse cooling than the DT on many occasions. Never had one throttle.

No man, I'm book marking just in case I need it. I'm prolly gonna get the processor in a few weeks or more. Thanks and sorry for bothering you

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

No man, I'm book marking just in case I need it. I'm prolly gonna get the processor in a few weeks or more. Thanks and sorry for bothering you

No worries. You just happen to have piqued the interest of someone who's got a very strong affinity for LGA 775 and LGA 1155 Optis, and loves to see them unleashed to their full potential. I'm always happy to help someone who wants to take a poor, neglected inventory management PC out of its dusty back room and make it into the most Opti of Plexes.


The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×