Why do people hate on plastic phones?

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I don’t blame them they have to differentiate their devices somehow as they’re all running the same OS on the same hardware with the same basic design but it’s people effectively writing a drive off because of features that they won’t use or don’t understand properly (like phones shipping with 4K displays WHY?!)

Bragging rights, I suppose.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

9 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

If you are using PLASTIC, it probably isn't a high end phone. 

The Note20 isn't a high end phone? Plus, metal body is only really viable in high-ish end phones because it is pretty expensive, especially compared to plastic.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The Note20 isn't a high end phone? Plus, metal body is only really viable in high-ish end phones because it is pretty expensive, especially compared to plastic.

I meant that most  high end phones are metal frames with glass, at all metal.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, KenTees said:

Bragging rights, I suppose.

Just bigger number = better right? It’s like the MP wars going on now, I remember back in the K800i days where I think Nokia had 20MP phones and it wasn’t as good as the ones at 3 and 5 MP but bigger = better right? Like the 108MP phones that don’t need that many pixels and the Samsung 8K video which is worse than a normal 480p video there’s so much noise. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, personally I couldn't care less but wireless charging has basically become a must-have in every high end phone for some reason.

Tbh, just having a second means of charging the phone is the more important aspect to me than the fact that it happens to be wireless. 

A combination of plastic and a cast steel interior frame would probably be extremely impact and bend resistant while allowing for wireless charging. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I put a case on it no matter the phone materials. Plastic doesn't feel as good as metal or glass, so I'd image people are relating lower cost plastic to less social status. I miss those days when I'd drop my phone and the plastic back flies in one direction and the battery goes another. 

Meanwhile I'm using a phone with a ceramic back, what ever happened to that as an option?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I hate that Apple puts so much into how the phone looks, make the damn thing more durable and waterproof!

im just going to put it in a case anyway so you just see the screen. I don’t care what it looks like, I care how it performs.

If it can be plastic all the better! Just make them not break and more waterproof.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I used to own a iphone 6s and it still bent

and I don't care about plastic since I had a magpul case on it

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I do like the feel in my hands of anything metal over plastic.

It may not make sense but it just gives me the feeling of "This has value".

What is also weird about it is the heavier it is the more it feels value to me.

I'd like to see Apple make a heavy thick metal iPhone with a pop out bottom or side drawer to hold my cash and drivers license.

Then I could throw away my wallet for good and only have one thing to carry all day.

6 hours ago, KenTees said:

I have a simple answer for you.

Money.

I agree, but what I wanted to say was not necessarily that I'm surprised manufacturers keep making them this way, but rather that people just keep accepting it as normal. 

5 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

polyxxxxx instead of plastic

everything with poly- in it is a name for a type of plastic (polymer).

Personally I really like the combination of a metal frame with a plastic back panel. I use a Sony XA2 wich is built this way, and it's quite rigid thanks to the metal frame yet the back is made of plastic meaning I can use it pretty well without a case.

Very happy with my Moto G6. The Moto G has always been the upper end of "budget" phones and as such has always had a plastic body. It used to feel really cheap but recently they've put loads of work into the design and it fits nicely in the hand. It doesn't feel like a cheap piece of s**t, far from it.

I just wish they made them smaller! Slightly over 5" is about the sweet spot for me.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Plastic is structurally weaker and as you have said scratches to fuck. Doesn’t last as long and wears faster.

Not if you use a decent case.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Not if you use a decent case.

My old LG G2 came out of my Otterbox Defender case scratched to hell after a few years of use. Dirt and grit can work its way into a case over time. Sand aside, tempered glass better resists the scratching. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

I agree, but what I wanted to say was not necessarily that I'm surprised manufacturers keep making them this way, but rather that people just keep accepting it as normal. 

I'm afraid people have no choice. If they want an iPhone 11 Pro Max, they're going to have to deal with the glass back, and the solution to that problem is a case.

@KayTees' Little Brother

Spoiler

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Just bigger number = better right? It’s like the MP wars going on now, I remember back in the K800i days where I think Nokia had 20MP phones and it wasn’t as good as the ones at 3 and 5 MP but bigger = better right? Like the 108MP phones that don’t need that many pixels and the Samsung 8K video which is worse than a normal 480p video there’s so much noise. 

Kind of like that, but more so being an early adopter of bleeding edge technology.

@KayTees' Little Brother

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

People may have a bad impression of plastic phones. Personally, as long as the plastic is decently durable and feels nice, it is good enough of me.

45 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My old LG G2 came out of my Otterbox Defender case scratched to hell after a few years of use. Dirt and grit can work its way into a case over time. Sand aside, tempered glass better resists the scratching. 

Fine, but after a few years you don't expect your phone to be looking pristine. Problem with glass is that you're screwed if you drop it too hard and it adds weight.

In any case my Moto G6 has been in the case for about a year with zero scratches excluding the screen protector (which is designed to be replaced anyway). Different plastics and coatings are more scratch resistance than others anyway so newer phones are probably better in that respect

pythonmegapixel

Well glass feels a little better imo. I've held a samsung a50 before and it was great, but the texture was somewhat, i dunno how to explain it, less slippery but like more "smudgy" and cheap feeling.

Android companies use glass in their budget-midrange devices because of competition, they have to do something in order to be different. If plastic is used to cut down the cost of manufacturing, thus meaning lower retail prices then those devices would be more appealing.

12 hours ago, KenTees said:

Kind of like that, but more so being an early adopter of bleeding edge technology.

It’s more the sensor can’t handle it, remember how tiny a phone sensor is vs even a micro 4/3 never mind a full frame and professional camera body’s are normally in the 20’s in terms of MP, the Sony A7iii which is around 2K for the body has a 24MP sensor.  There is no need for a 108MP on a smartphone and there’s no need for 8K video either. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

23 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wireless charging is impossible if the phone has a metal body.

Iphone has a steel frame with glass back. I am pretty sure every other 'premium' device with wireless charging has a metal frame too.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

On 8/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, KenTees said:

TL;DR the modern smartphone is a status symbol. Manufacturers want to use glass on their flagship devices because of wireless charging and they can also charge whatever they want to repair that glass back. People want flagship devices, manufacturers are happy to oblige, as long as they get to put a glass back on it.

This is probably at the core of it. I haven't though of it. People just tend to care more about the symbol and the upfront cost than maintenance.

Given for example the Galaxy S5 and the Nexus 5 had wireless charging I'd like to disagree with your point that wireless charging is incompatible with plastic devices.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

23 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Ok. Go watch jerryrigeverything. Find a video of a plastic body phone, and watch the bend.

Yes, there are terrible devices like the Nextbit Robin or the nexus 6P which clearly had design flaws but the stress he puts the device under is also highly unrealistic.

Given that the Pocophone F1 survived the torture and the Oneplus Nord only broke the screen upon a second bend I'd say you can still built reasonable resistant plastic designs.

I am also not in any way opposing a metal frame, in fact I'd personally say metal frame with plastic back is the way to go.

3.Use