Bought a new PC, but Ubuntu 20.04 will not install (tried everything on internet)

System Specs

* Ryzen 9 3900X

* Nvidia RTX 2080ti

* MSI x570 gaming pro carbon wifi (updated bios to latest version from website)

First problem, when I insert the live usb, I cannot get to boot into ubuntu without using acpi=off. I have tried nomodeset. But without acpi=off, it will just not start (acpi_osi=Linux) also did not work.

Second problem, when I issue the command install ubuntu, I get Executuing 'grub-install /dev/nvme0n1' failed - This is a fatal error. I have tried manual partitioning, but it will just not work. To work around this issue I had to install Ubuntu 18.04 (with the same acpi=off, otherwise this will also not open). Ubuntu 18.04 installed successfully.

Third, then I got to ubuntu 18.04 installed nvidia-driver=450 from PPA (booted using acpi=off). Now when I start to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04, The installation began but at the end, when grub could not be installed in /dev/nvme0n1 error was displayed. And it asked me if I should continue install or stop. I continued install but Ubuntu is a mess.

Can someone please help me, I paid a lot of money for the system and now I am stuck without an OS (please I really need your help)?

you could check in the BIOS is safe boot is turned on if you bios has it it could prevent the install of the OS here.

Didn’t Ryzen 3000 and Linux have problems that would prevent from booting?

But with the newest BIOS Version this should not be an issue.

maybe double check wether you’re on the newest version 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Where you added acpi=off, remove anything that says loglevel, quiet, or splash. Don't add acpi=off.

Boot the installer again and post the output where it hangs.

4 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Where you added acpi=off, remove anything that says loglevel, quiet, or splash. Don't add acpi=off.

@Nayr438 I have uploaded the video of me going through the above process. You can check the video here. Thanks for helping.

Also, I have disabled secure boot and I have flashed the latest BIOS from MSI motherboard website.

28 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

@Nayr438 I have uploaded the video of me going through the above process. You can check the video here. Thanks for helping.

Also, I have disabled secure boot and I have flashed the latest BIOS from MSI motherboard website.

The Video si set to private. So I cant view it.

@Nayr438 Sorry for the inconvinience. This is the updated link.

It may be a good idea to disable secure boot if its enabled.

Unfortunately if anything useful goes to the shell output it gets garbled before the display goes out.

I am going to look through bug reports and see if I can find anything related.

In the meantime can you try to boot a Manjaro Live Install media and see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am right now trying to install POP_OS. I will give it a few trys and then try Manjaro.

@Nayr438 same issue with Manjaro. When I select Boot manjaro, the screen goes blank and the process stops.

I have started to work with Manjaro. I added acpi=off and the blank screen problem is resolved. Currently, I am trying to boot Manjaro. For Ubuntu, Pop_Os, Manjaro, I found acpi=off is the only way to atleast start the boot process (the failure of the process is another issue). I will post the update if I am able to boot to Manjaro.

@Nayr438 I have installed Manjaro. I used systemd-boot during the install and everything worked fine. I selected automatic partitioning. But now when I try to boot into Manjaro, it gets to the login screen and the screen goes blank. 

I cannot get into another shell. As soon as the system boots up, right before the login screen the monitor loses signal and the system restarts. This keeps happening in a loop. 

I have tried nomodeset. But it does not work. The only option that works for me is acpi=off. 

I really have no idea. Between needing acpi=off, the Graphics Card losing signal, and Ubuntu not wanting to behave with the drive, the only thing I can think of is some weird power management with PCI or something. I would have a hard time trying to diagnose this personally without the board in hand.

I couldn't find any bug reports, I did however see users reporting similar issues along with sata issues on that board, but none of them with solutions.

If it was me personally, I would just exchange the board for a different one as there is obviously something funky happening. Linux doesn't play nice with non standard implementations.

Thanks @Nayr438 for the help. I still don't know the issue myself. I have tried installing windows also, but when the windows logo appears during installation the monitor loses signal and the system restarts.

2 hours ago, Kushaj said:

Thanks @Nayr438 for the help. I still don't know the issue myself. I have tried installing windows also, but when the windows logo appears during installation the monitor loses signal and the system restarts.

If it happens with Windows, then either something is unstable or there is something wrong with the Motherboard or Graphics Card.