How should I upgrade my internet?

StrixxTV

I have  a sagemcom or whatever its called router and a motem that I got with spectrum. What can I get to upgrade my wifi for not too expensive. Do i need a modem and router combo or just router?

Believe it or not, the best way to ensure good strong wifi is with good strong cables.  Shielded cables are a must.  I had a problem a while ago and turns out that upgrading to shielded Ethernet cables solved it.

Other options, wifi6 is a boon of technology.  old school wifi jumps between devices really fast, wifi 6 allows multiple devices to connect simultaneously.    That one guy for LTT made a video about it... the dark hair guy... what's his name?... the cute one.  Regardless, start with better cables, and if you have the money get a better router with "wifi 6" technology.

Unless the problem is that your house is too big and you have weak signal far from the router, in that case, try a mesh wifi system.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

7 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Believe it or not, the best way to ensure good strong wifi is with good strong cables.  Shielded cables are a must.  I had a problem a while ago and turns out that upgrading to shielded Ethernet cables solved it.

Other options, wifi6 is a boon of technology.  old school wifi jumps between devices really fast, wifi 6 allows multiple devices to connect simultaneously.    That one guy for LTT made a video about it... the dark hair guy... what's his name?... the cute one.  Regardless, start with better cables, and if you have the money get a better router with "wifi 6" technology.

Unless the problem is that your house is too big and you have weak signal far from the router, in that case, try a mesh wifi system.

James.  The hot guy is named @James

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

james, is that you?, is this an alt account?

No, James is that LTT guy that seems to be always yelling at the camera.

6 hours ago, StrixxTV said:

I have  a sagemcom or whatever its called router and a motem that I got with spectrum. What can I get to upgrade my wifi for not too expensive. Do i need a modem and router combo or just router?

So you have a gateway which is a modem and router in one. You can do either. To my understanding Spectrum will issue just a standard cable modem (as they dont charge a rental fee for modems) then you can get any router you want. OR you can see about putting your current gateway in bridge mode, which makes it in to a modem only. You dont want to connect two routers together, it can mean bad news bears. 

6 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Shielded cables are a must

These cables are only required if you run Ethernet near electrical. Even then standard 110v doesn't really cause enough EMI to worry about. ALSO the OP has an internet gateway, so its an all in one box. The only thing the OP has connected to that is a Coax cable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:32 AM, StrixxTV said:

What can I get to upgrade my wifi for not too expensive.

What is your budget? A single wireless router will be limited in range (and therefore, speed) for large multi-level homes. Having multiple wireless access points around the home wired into the main router will yield much better performance, but the entire setup will cost more.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:32 AM, StrixxTV said:

Do i need a modem and router combo or just router?

Read what @Donut417 suggested. I agree with running the existing ISP gateway in bridged mode and attaching your own router.

you can drop that wifi router and get a Nest Mesh Wifi system with Router + 1 Access Point. super easy to set up, costs $200. Nest Wifi wins most of the range and speed comparisons.