Hidden Network cant connect

Abimbolababatunde

On my laptop, my wifi network wasn't showing so I went into the network settings and made it visible and so it showed as hidden network on the list of networks, but even when I put in all the information it still says "can't connect to this network".

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

why is it hidden? just use it visibly?

Hidden networks are worse for security, and still easy to find.

how do I make it visible? It just wasn't showing up in the first place so I clicked "add a new network" and added it

Just now, Abimbolababatunde said:

how do I make it visible? It just wasn't showing up in the first place so I clicked "add a new network" and added it

change the settings on the access point?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

change the settings on the access point?

where is that at?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what model or router or access point do you have? What does the manuall say?

what do you mean? btw the laptop is the only device having this problem

try going to a computer that can connect to the network and type ito the address bar:

192.168.1.1 and see if that gets you to your router.

Then you can get to settings to make it visible

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

3 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

try going to a computer that can connect to the network and type ito the address bar:

192.168.1.1 and see if that gets you to your router.

Then you can get to settings to make it visible

It brings me to some spectrum login page but whenever it does this, no credentials i type work, like even though i am typing in the correct password, it's not letting me in saying "invalid username or password"

hmmm... try finding your router mdoel on this page:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/configuring-wireless-security-twc/?redirected=false

when in doubt, try username of "admin" and password of "password"

Also, sometimes you need to be hardwired in  (but that might be only on ancient routers, I am a grumpy old man, so it is possible that my information is out of date)

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 hour ago, Abimbolababatunde said:

On my laptop, my wifi network wasn't showing so I went into the network settings and made it visible and so it showed as hidden network on the list of networks, but even when I put in all the information it still says "can't connect to this network".

If you intentionally hide the SSID broadcast at the wireless router or access point, you'll have to manually enter the network name and credentials to connect to your WiFi. But seeing as you don't seem to know how to log in to your wireless router or ISP gateway device, I doubt that's the problem, unless you forgot.

If the wireless signal is too far from your device or there is significant signal degradation from obstructions, your device won't be able to connect. It will detect that something is there but the WiFi signal source might not be powerful enough to respond or vice versa.

How far is your device from the WiFi? Any walls or floors in between?

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

If you intentionally hide the SSID broadcast at the wireless router or access point, you'll have to manually enter the network name and credentials to connect to your WiFi. But seeing as you don't seem to know how to log in to your wireless router or ISP gateway device, I doubt that's the problem, unless you forgot.

If the wireless signal is too far from your device or there is significant signal degradation from obstructions, your device won't be able to connect. It will detect that something is there but the WiFi signal source might not be powerful enough to respond or vice versa.

How far is your device from the WiFi? Any walls or floors in between?

When I go to the router page, I am using the same credentials I always use to login to Spectrum. Unless they are different credentials, I think the problem is on their end and also I couldn't find a way to edit my router settings from spectrum's website. The laptop is actually closer to the router than the other devices that are connected to wifi and there aren't any obstructions in the way.

1 hour ago, Abimbolababatunde said:

When I go to the router page, I am using the same credentials I always use to login to Spectrum. Unless they are different credentials, I think the problem is on their end and also I couldn't find a way to edit my router settings from spectrum's website. The laptop is actually closer to the router than the other devices that are connected to wifi and there aren't any obstructions in the way.

The ISP device login credentials are different than that for WiFi access.

Did you look at this page on Spectrum’s website?

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The ISP device login credentials are different than that for WiFi access.

Did you look at this page on Spectrum’s website?

So I logged in to the page and I'm in the settings, what now? It's only happening to one device so I would assume I would have to go into the laptop's settings but I dont know.

3 hours ago, Abimbolababatunde said:

So I logged in to the page and I'm in the settings, what now? It's only happening to one device so I would assume I would have to go into the laptop's settings but I dont know.

Go to the wireless page. What settings are listed?

What is the make and model of the laptop's WiFi adapter?

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Go to the wireless page. What settings are listed?

What is the make and model of the laptop's WiFi adapter?

I can't find the wifi adapter, but my isp provides 2 separate networks with my router, a 2G and a 5G network and only the the 2G network is showing up on the list of networks even though it still doesn't work, while the 5G network is the one that isn't showing up on the list.

wireless.PNG

12 minutes ago, Abimbolababatunde said:

I can't find the wifi adapter...

You have 2 options:

1. Look into Device Manager on Windows and locate the wireless adapter, or
  2. Open the laptop, locate the WiFi card and read off the make/model from the label.
14 minutes ago, Abimbolababatunde said:

my isp provides 2 separate networks with my router, a 2G and a 5G network and only the the 2G network is showing up on the list of networks even though it still doesn't work, while the 5G network is the one that isn't showing up on the list.

It’s the same network; just 2 different radios being used by the wireless access point. Thankfully, your ISP seems to have given each radio a unique SSID to identify whether it’s the 2.4GHz or 5GHz broadcast.

If the 5GHz SSID is not being detected by your laptop, it more than likely means that your laptop’s WiFi adapter does not have a 5GHz antenna. But finding out the make/model of the adapter will assist in clarifying.

That screenshot only shows the details for the 2.4GHz radio. Does it also have one for the 5GHz radio? What kind of security/encryption (WPA/WPA2, AES/TKIP) are you using?