Sapphire pulse 5600 XT coil whine

Coltonw023456

so my friend bought me this card and the other day i got it i had really bad coil whine when i played any game so then i returned it back to amazon then today i got the new one replacement and it has coil whine but not as nearly bad as before so is it normal ?

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-01-20G-Radeon-backplate-Graphics/dp/B083R25Z94

coil whine is common on many cards yes, some more than others. what's your psu? some people say that replacing your stock cables with cables that have inline caps can help with coil whine

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

coil whine is common on many cards yes, some more than others. what's your psu? some people say that replacing your stock cables with cables that have inline caps can help with coil whine

Rosewill PHOTON Series 650W 

cant find a link but its new 

55 minutes ago, Coltonw023456 said:

so my friend bought me this card and the other day i got it i had really bad coil whine when i played any game so then i returned it back to amazon then today i got the new one replacement and it has coil whine but not as nearly bad as before so is it normal ?

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-01-20G-Radeon-backplate-Graphics/dp/B083R25Z94

Weird. I have that exact card, and it doesn't make any noise. In fact, the Sapphire PULSE is actually one of, if not the, most quiet aftermarket 5600 XT cards. I wonder if maybe you're getting some kind of electromagnetic interference from some other source.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

56 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

Sounds like an old wives tale, or something that worked once in one thing.  It wouldn’t be reliable.  How coil whine works is well known.  The irritating thing is there’s basically nothing that can reliably be done about it.  It happens when the magnet in a coil cracks (which thy commonly do) and the intense magnetic field causes the coil to vibrate.  If the vibration is the right frequency a harmonic is crated in the human hearing range.   It is sometimes possible to change the harmonic so while the vibration still happens it’s not audible to humans.  Tiny changes in clock speed and voltage can be hunted through to maybe find something.  There may be nothing, it may become worse not better at certain settings, you might get lucky.  This online cap thing might do that. Change the harmonic slightly.  Perhaps one it happened to hit this thing in such a way that the vibration became inaudible once.  To someone.  Another trick is to try painting the offending coil with clear nail polish.  Effectively glueing the coil in place and stopping part of it from vibrating.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn’t.  Sometimes it works for a while and rips loose. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.