Mobile TV Production Set Up

m4a2000

Working on a simple production set-up for a high school. I have 3 stations(audio, graphics, & technical director) and most of the gear is rack mountable. Attached is the base look.

Gear to buy: (Links fixed)

Gear on hand:

Spoiler

2 TVs

2 HP 27" monitors

1 NewTek TriCaster Mini SDI

1 Clear-Com MS-702 2 Channel Main Intercom Station

2 UPS units

1 HP ProDesk G600 (Graphics) - LiveText 3.1

1 Mackie 1402VLZ4 14-Channel Compact Mixer

2 Lilliput 10" Monitors

1 2U Rack Mount patch panel (20+ connections)

... and all the cables, keyboards, mic, midi boards, and switchers needed to wire everything.

This whole set-up allows for 4 cameras, anchors, and game data to wire in to a patch panel and can output 1080i60 to SDI for TV broadcast, NDI for backup, and normal YouTube streaming.

I want to attache the small carts to the sides of the large cart so it moves as just one big unit.

I am looking for some input before buy the final parts... With how things are going we wouldn't be using this until Nov/Dec due to sports being on hold meaning I have until the end of September to buy everything.

Cart set-ups.png

All of the links you posted bring me to a page that needs some school login. Can you repost them?

Is the tricaster you are using the one with a small screen on the side? 
I don’t know if you have one already or if what you are doing with it is complex enough, but I found a control surface like this one can be useful. I used it when I was helping with a live show type thing that switched between a few camera inputs and a laptop inputs with some graphics and it was very useful. But that was on an older tricaster software and the one I used on a newer version of the software (the mini advanced without a screen) I only had a keyboard but it was also only one camera input with some graphics so it was good enough. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

The middle rack looks pretty tall to me. Are these screens really usable in 45" height without neck strain?

I'd suggest to get some rack mountable drawers. You'll always have small parts like adapters, short cables, batteries or microphones. Having a convenient place for these parts is crucial to keep everything tidy imo. A drawer is often nearly perfect for that task.

Also, the mixer seems to be rack mountable. Your sketch suggests that it sits on a shelf. Maybe you could think about a rack that offers a top mounting for the audio rack. That's at least how I know it from my school.

At most on site productions, I've seen flightcase racks. They seem more rugged to me, but that's just my opinion. If you need the additional ruggedness, depends on your use case, though.

Btw, I'm interested in why you'd want to move the 3 carts at once. Wouldn't it be more convenient to set up in one good place and then use one of these racks that allow the front panel to be used as a table? You'd have more space this way and you could orientate everything in a way, that everybody can see what's happening.

Edit: Consider mounting the monitor stands to the racks somehow. Maybe also get one that can be folded down instead of the ones you've listed, so you're able to mount them permantly in a way that allows you to go through doors. I've had an old VGA only monitor falling from 1.5m once. Luckily it survived, so I just had to reseat the VGA connector.

1 hour ago, zeusthemoose said:

Is the tricaster you are using the one with a small screen on the side?

The TriCaster is the box with TC on it in the center. I do have a switcher, basically the one you linked, but I also have a midi board for macros which will live on top of the center cart.

49 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

The middle rack looks pretty tall to me. Are these screens really usable in 45" height without neck strain?

The center TVs are for the Producer who will be standing behind the TD, technical director, who operates the switcher. The bottom TV is a tech screen that allows the TD to adjust video on the fly (mainly for replay). The TD also has the screen on the side of the TriCaster and another monitor that will act as Preview & Program. My goal is for the TD to have a stool and the producer just stand.

I have a whole separate cart which has all my cable runs, adapters, and the like. I would like to get drawers for the new carts, but I'm need to save what I can due to limited budget.

The mixer comes out on a sliding shelf for easy of use and quick access.

Flight cases are expensive!!! I'm looking at 5K for what I could find and with this only going around a high school, and one journey a year outside for graduation, I really don't need the ruggedness. I also want to make this as one big unit due to the locations we work at through out the school. It also helps with storage inside the video classroom.

I've been doing multi-camera events since 2003 and did some WNBA games in 2012. Keeping the stations 'away' from each other keeps people on task. Also it prevents back seat producers.

I would love rack mounted monitors. I was looking at one here, problem is I need 2 and that puts me over budget.

1 minute ago, m4a2000 said:

The TriCaster is the box with TC on it in the center. I do have a switcher, basically the one you linked, but I also have a midi board for macros which will live on top of the center cart.

The center TVs are for the Producer who will be standing behind the TD, technical director, who operates the switcher. The bottom TV is a tech screen that allows the TD to adjust video on the fly (mainly for replay). The TD also has the screen on the side of the TriCaster and another monitor that will act as Preview & Program. My goal is for the TD to have a stool and the producer just stand.

I have a whole separate cart which has all my cable runs, adapters, and the like. I would like to get drawers for the new carts, but I'm need to save what I can due to limited budget.

The mixer comes out on a sliding shelf for easy of use and quick access.

Flight cases are expensive!!! I'm looking at 5K for what I could find and with this only going around a high school, and one journey a year outside for graduation, I really don't need the ruggedness. I also want to make this as one big unit due to the locations we work at through out the school. It also helps with storage inside the video classroom.

I've been doing multi-camera events since 2003 and did some WNBA games in 2012. Keeping the stations 'away' from each other keeps people on task. Also it prevents back seat producers.

I would love rack mounted monitors. I was looking at one here, problem is I need 2 and that puts me over budget.

The second hand market offers certain stuff quite a bit cheaper. For example, I got a used flightcase rack (12HE) for around 80 bucks. Admittedly, it was in quite a bad condition, but for around 160 bucks, you might already find ones in good condition. The same basically goes for drawers and other rack stuff. This is probably not an option because the school will most likely want to order the stuff themselves, but I just want suggest it anyways.

And here are some suggestions for rack mounted VESA mounts (I'm too lazy to find trustworthy shops, so I'm just posting images):

image.png.cbfb6125701f3774835f221d98ec44d0.png

image.png.bd149ca027ba59540736b1952e66d69b.png

image.png.99405570da5f44e205b8b2bac52d7ec0.png

41 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

The second hand market offers certain stuff quite a bit cheaper.

I cannot buy second hand items. Comes with working at a school.

I've been look for anything looks like that first image, but I just couldn't through my normal buying sites. What did you google to find it?

2 minutes ago, m4a2000 said:

I cannot buy second hand items. Comes with working at a school.

I've been look for anything looks like that first image, but I just couldn't through my normal buying sites. What did you google to find it?

It's probably DIY. Just get a normal VESA mount and screw it to a rack cover.

Edit: I googled sth along the lines of "VESA rack mount"

Made another pass with using this as the mount for my TVs. I made the outline for the TVs - - - so I could measure things out. The TVs for this are 32" models. For this I think the keyboard and switcher are too low for the TD.

Some problems... Well the rack doesn't come in that size so I would have to buy smaller one and secure that to the top (sketchy). If I can find a mount that allows me to do side by side I would be all set. I'm going to work more on this on Monday. Just glad to finally talk to other people about this as most people at work just have their eyes glaze over.

Cart set-ups.png

On 8/15/2020 at 5:19 AM, m4a2000 said:

Made another pass with using this as the mount for my TVs. I made the outline for the TVs - - - so I could measure things out. The TVs for this are 32" models. For this I think the keyboard and switcher are too low for the TD.

Some problems... Well the rack doesn't come in that size so I would have to buy smaller one and secure that to the top (sketchy). If I can find a mount that allows me to do side by side I would be all set. I'm going to work more on this on Monday. Just glad to finally talk to other people about this as most people at work just have their eyes glaze over.

Another thing that came to my mind are the casters of the racks. Right now, there's the possiblity, that they might tangle up at some point. You could buy racks without casters and put them on one big roller board with 6 casters or so. I'd probably use an inch thick piece of plywood and decent quality casters. You wouldn't have the ability to seperate them, though.

Edit: Then you might also find racks with more RU, since they don't have to have casters on them.

I'd try and get 1 larger cart and then break it into 3 sides

Audio mixer and gear

Producer/Graphics with intercom

TD with swticher

I'm trying to find the card my high school used

I'd assume 3 field 1 studio cam?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 8/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, GDRRiley said:

I'm trying to find the card my high school used

I'd assume 3 field 1 studio cam?

For live events we use 3 cameras (Blackmagic Studio Cameras) and we'll sometimes wire in a forth for plays or graduation.

I'm currently looking to replace my studio/event cameras next year with Blackmagic Design URSA Broadcast Cameras. Small camcorders and their zooms just don't cut it for football or graduation. Also whatever I get goes right back into the studio the next school day for our daily show.

5 minutes ago, m4a2000 said:

For live events we use 3 cameras (Blackmagic Studio Cameras) and we'll sometimes wire in a forth for plays or graduation.

I'm currently looking to replace my studio/event cameras next year with Blackmagic Design URSA Broadcast Cameras. Small camcorders and their zooms just don't cut it for football or graduation. Also whatever I get goes right back into the studio the next school day for our daily show.

I think thats a fine upgrade choice for cameras.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs