I need a camera for youtube videos.

Trippsy

I normally record gaming content through OBS on my PC, but me and a friend have decided to make some videos in real life just for fun.

For our first video I used my Samsung S8 at 1080p 30FPS (can also record in 60FPS); The end result was acceptable enough, however next time I want to come better equipped.

My first thought was to buy a small tripod and lapel/lavier microphone since it was mainly the phone's microphone that proved difficult.

My other idea was to go a little more long term, and buy a beginner budget camera, and attatching a microphone to that. I've yet to look into cameras so I have no idea if they're good or not, but the first thing that came to mind was one of those handheld camcorders, though any suggestion helps.

Im not looking for outstanding results as its nothing professional but I would like better overall quality than what I got out of my phone. If anyone has ideas im all ears.

5 minutes ago, Trippsy said:

I normally record gaming content through OBS on my PC, but me and a friend have decided to make some videos in real life just for fun.

For our first video I used my Samsung S8 at 1080p 30FPS (can also record in 60FPS); The end result was acceptable enough, however next time I want to come better equipped.

My first thought was to buy a small tripod and lapel/lavier microphone since it was mainly the phone's microphone that proved difficult.

My other idea was to go a little more long term, and buy a beginner budget camera, and attatching a microphone to that. I've yet to look into cameras so I have no idea if they're good or not, but the first thing that came to mind was one of those handheld camcorders, though any suggestion helps.

Im not looking for outstanding results as its nothing professional but I would like better overall quality than what I got out of my phone. If anyone has ideas im all ears.

Budget?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Budget?

$200 max for the camera. Its only for Youtube so im not looking to break the bank.

6 minutes ago, Trippsy said:

$200 max for the camera. Its only for Youtube so im not looking to break the bank.

That including a mic and tripod? 

Zoom Q2n 4K or Canon Vixia RF800 are really good vlog cameras for under $200. I've used both and they are very trusty and put out outstanding looking video. Also, the GoPro Hero 5 has had good reviews (although I've never used it) and is around $150 USD

Just now, Lord Vile said:

That including a mic and tripod? 

No, just the camera.

1 minute ago, Trippsy said:

No, just the camera.

Could look for something like an A6000 used? Only does 1080p60 though 

maybe a used canon t2i?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 hours ago, Trippsy said:

nothing you can really do at that price. most used canon t_i start at around 250-300 and most cheap non camcorders don't have a mic

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

nothing you can really do at that price. most used canon t_i start at around 250-300 and most cheap non camcorders don't have a mic

Did say the 200 was camera only not including mic and tripod 

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Did say the 200 was camera only not including mic and tripod 

right but without a mic in you'd have to get something like a zoom h1 and sync in post

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You'll probably will need to up the budget, as there aren't many good cameras that do decent video at $200, especially if you are looking for one that has the ability to take an external mic. You probably won't be able to go any higher than 720p in terms of resolution at that price, unless you pick up a used camera.

14 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

right but without a mic in you'd have to get something like a zoom h1 and sync in post

True would be an adventure though ;)

I would say try a point and shoot. I'm looking to get one myself because I am an upstarting youtuber myself and I'm considering getting one that records at least 1080p.

• 5 weeks later...

I just went through what OP is going through. Mostly do video game stuff on YT, and recently wanted to do some live action. 
As of now, here is where I am at:
Canon R700 Camcorder (Used was about $150)

Tascam Lav and Recorder $200-ish

Crappy Kmart Tri-pod $Free....for reasons....

Carbon Fiber Glide Stick $40

Always remember, Audio is more important than video.