Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saksham

pcie to usb adapters possible?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Is it possible to adapt a usb-c 3.1gen 2 into a pcie slot? I wanted to connect some devices to my laptop but they are a pcie x4 device. 

I know that there are bandwith limitations but I won't be exeeding 5Gbps which is well under the usb 3.1 gen 2 limitations. 

Basically, is there a cable which has usbc male on one end and pcie 3.0x4 on the other end. 

Nope. They do appear to both use Serial communication but I can safely say there is no direct adapter. You would need a USB controller between the slot and the USB device.

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

Edit:https://www.ebay.com/itm/352240749164

I found this ^^

not sure if these are real or not. 

Oh, you're asking about a USB riser cable. Those are real yes.

I haven't seen them in USB-C yet though and it doesn't have enough pins for PCI_ex4. Your devices would be stuck at x1. Also probably gen 3 as I these aren't tested for gen 4 speeds.

Guides & Tutorials:

In the Queue:

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

lso probably gen 3

I have a couple of these and they sometimes refuse to post in gen 3 speed, have to lower to gen 2

As for x4 riser, try looking at m.2 to full size pcie, I've not seen USB riser for full size pcie slot above X1, but there's a couple m.2 converter out there

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

@Windows7ge @Moonzy would it be possible to use one of those usbc to nvme adapters, then use another adapter to convert that nvme into pcie?

Just now, Saksham said:

@Windows7ge @Moonzy would it be possible to use one of those usbc to nvme adapters, then use another adapter to convert that nvme into pcie?

Now that I reread your post, I understood what you want

It sounds very clunky but it might work

But depends on a couple things:

1) you definitely won't get 40gbps over any current USB standard

2) the signal strength might not be strong enough to travel through the extension/riser

3) you might not have enough power to power your device through the riser

What device is it actually

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Also note that the USB riser you've shown does not operate on the USB protocol

They merely use the wiring in USB to transmit PCIe signals

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Now that I reread your post, I understood what you want

It sounds very clunky but it might work

But depends on a couple things:

1) you definitely won't get 40gbps over any current USB standard

2) the signal strength might not be strong enough to travel through the extension/riser

3) you might not have enough power to power your device through the riser

What device is it actually

I wanted to connect 2 nvme SSDs but I only wanted to use a single connector. I have seen a couple of docks on a few websites, but they go for $150++.

9 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I wanted to connect 2 nvme SSDs but I only wanted to use a single connector. I have seen a couple of docks on a few websites, but they go for $150++.

They're probably powered and it's a niche product hence the price

I'd rather buy USB to m.2 nvme SSD enclosures, and use a powered usb type c hub

How much would this solution cost?

Edit: if your type c have high power delivery capability, unpowered is fine

Those chewing gum sticks draws 15W at most

But might strain your laptop's USB port power delivery

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

They're probably powered and it's a niche product hence the price

I'd rather buy USB to m.2 nvme SSD enclosures, and use a powered usb type c hub

How much would this solution cost?

nvme to usb (x2) will cost $23. then add the usb hub (usb 3.1) so another $30 = ~$55 which is decent I guess. 

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

nvme to usb (x2) will cost $23. then add the usb hub (usb 3.1) so another $30 = ~$55 which is decent I guess. 

Do take note of the converted USB standards as it'll be limited by the slowest one

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

In theory that should work. Rather crude and definitely bandwidth limited but it should work. Depending on what you want to connect though you might end up needing auxiliary power.

Guides & Tutorials:

In the Queue: