Testing all different fans and shocked at results

G H O S T

Okay guys is I am back with some testing and need your thoughts off the PC building family 😘

So in the UK we had a lot of heat and decided to make my own fan cooling while I was getting my AC serviced and came across some strange thing and I think a YouTube tech channel should test this with more fans 

As from the photos I used my old corsair AIO fans and notices after 15 minutes of use the fan centre (motor) heats up and gave a slight heat being blown out and thought it was strange, as kind of defeats the object of blowing cool air inside a PC/ radiator 

So I gathered many different types of fans and tested this out and came across half the fans after 12 to 20 minutes use would heat up tho I dont have a anything to see the heat you can feel the centre getting quite warm of the fan and so decided to test all different fans on my rad and check the temperatures and noticed the fans that get warm caused my temperature to heat up in the PC case and gpu and CPU would spike up by 5*c to 15*c depending on the fan 

If anyone has time to check this out or do tests on YouTube and post it would be really interesting to see might be on to somthing here !

Noticed the cheaper fans seem to be better at cooling! 

15974258080388630841007184129814.jpg

15974258458977327750188539124193.jpg

1597425870489682060206772880761.jpg

7 minutes ago, G H O S T said:

Okay guys is I am back with some testing and need your thoughts off the PC building family 😘

So in the UK we had a lot of heat and decided to make my own fan cooling while I was getting my AC serviced and came across some strange thing and I think a YouTube tech channel should test this with more fans 

As from the photos I used my old corsair AIO fans and notices after 15 minutes of use the fan centre (motor) heats up and gave a slight heat being blown out and thought it was strange, as kind of defeats the object of blowing cool air inside a PC/ radiator 

So I gathered many different types of fans and tested this out and came across half the fans after 12 to 20 minutes use would heat up tho I dont have a anything to see the heat you can feel the centre getting quite warm of the fan and so decided to test all different fans on my rad and check the temperatures and noticed the fans that get warm caused my temperature to heat up in the PC case and gpu and CPU would spike up by 5*c to 15*c depending on the fan 

If anyone has time to check this out or do tests on YouTube and post it would be really interesting to see might be on to somthing here !

Noticed the cheaper fans seem to be better at cooling! 

15974258080388630841007184129814.jpg

15974258458977327750188539124193.jpg

1597425870489682060206772880761.jpg

this would be interesting to see @LinusTech to do a video on maybe even someone else, havent seen jake too much recently, maybe bring luke back in a special, havent seen him in ages and never have time to watch the wan show

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

7 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

this would be interesting to see @LinusTech to do a video on maybe even someone else, havent seen jake too much recently, maybe bring luke back in a special, havent seen him in ages and never have time to watch the wan show

I hope so as well as a simple fan change could help small builds, just shocked that 5 completely different fans I tried out of 8 get warm !

I really doubt the 2 watts coming off a fan motor would cause that much of a difference in temperature. I'd suspect it's something else causing the temperature differential, not that their motors get hotter to the touch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

20 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I really doubt the 2 watts coming off a fan motor would cause that much of a difference in temperature. I'd suspect it's something else causing the temperature differential, not that their motors get hotter to the touch.

Tried on two power pack, and try it your self with different fans 

1 minute ago, G H O S T said:

Tried on two power pack, and try it your self with different fans 

I'm not doubting your results, I'm sure different fans have different cooling results. I'm doubting your conclusion that the fan hub getting warm is the cause of the different results.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I'm not doubting your results, I'm sure different fans have different cooling results. I'm doubting your conclusion that the fan hub getting warm is the cause of the different results.

Haha sorry I didn't mean it in a snappy reply 😂 but its happing I think due to the motor warming and being so close to the rads when you take them off the rad is also a tad bit warm where the fan has been 

That's why I think this should be tested out with more fans and themal capture/camera would be good to see

Just now, G H O S T said:

Haha sorry I didn't mean it in a snappy reply 😂 but its happing I think due to the motor warming and being so close to the rads when you take them off the rad is also a tad bit warm where the fan has been 

Which is why I said I doubted that this was the cause. The radiators are already cooling around 100 watts of heat from the CPU. 2 watts of heat from a fan motor, or even 4 watts from two fans, won't cause a 5-15 degree difference

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Which is why I said I doubted that this was the cause. The radiators are already cooling around 100 watts of heat from the CPU. 2 watts of heat from a fan motor, or even 4 watts from two fans, won't cause a 5-15 degree difference

Oh I see where you mean I should edit that thanks, as in so many fans it's hard to say due to the fans heating up and different fans as some fans dont even hardly cool my system down (cheap) do to terrible performance of pressure sorry, cheers bro will edit it in a bit 

As hard to get results 

16 hours ago, G H O S T said:

I hope so as well as a simple fan change could help small builds, just shocked that 5 completely different fans I tried out of 8 get warm !

Are you going to tell us which ones?  😛🙂

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

On 8/15/2020 at 10:58 AM, GuruMeditationError said:

Are you going to tell us which ones?  😛🙂

Oh corsair stock H100i x2 , arctic white 120, corsair LL 120, corsair LL 140 x3, silver stone quite sst 120

Get warm 

Corsair LL 140 x3

Stock corsair H100i x2

Didnt get warm

Corsair LL 120

Silver stone sst

Artic white 120

Also didnt get warm after this is the stock fans that come with Ek water cooling kit which I believe is varder.

Noctua 140 NF 

Also for the fun of it these got warm 

Xbox 360 stock fan 

The fan in my corsair AX860i got pretty hot after 10 minutes of use 

So last few days been testing all different fans so anyone one else want to test them outside a PC case and post results will try to clean up the spelling and mistakes been writing this while at work sorry 😂

Will keep adding to this 

Edited by G H O S T
Adding

That's actually really interesting; another argument in favour of fan spacers maybe.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

23 hours ago, G H O S T said:

Oh corsair stock H100i x2 , arctic white 120, corsair LL 120, corsair LL 140 x3, silver stone quite sst 120

Get warm 

Corsair LL 140 x3

Stock corsair H100i x2

Didnt get warm

Corsair LL 120

Silver stone sst

Artic white 120

Also didnt get warm after this is the stock fans that come with Ek water cooling kit which I believe is varder.

Noctua 140 NF 

Also for the fun of it these got warm 

Xbox 360 stock fan 

The fan in my corsair AX860i got pretty hot after 10 minutes of use 

So last few days been testing all different fans so anyone one else want to test them outside a PC case and post results will try to clean up the spelling and mistakes been writing this while at work sorry 😂

Will keep adding to this 

I have a lot of pre-built and old fans and when they break (stop rotating smoothly or the holding mechanism of plastic rotor break) I open them and I see that they tend to be very different from one another, some have the motor windings too far to radiate heat into the plastic to be felt or the plastic is too thick for the heat to be felt through

Common guess is that it doesn't get too much heat into the system but would love to see testing with thermal camera