i3-9100F vs Ryzen 3 3200G

Budget (including currency): $350, $400 max. US Dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Office use, mostly accounting, no gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): All peripherals already accounted for, evaluate PC Hardware only.

So I'm looking at building a PC that will be used for accounting/general office work, so pretty basic stuff. It will be replacing an old Windows 7 PC, and will hopefully be usable for the next 10 years (offices never upgrade, lol). I know the LTT people are generally only interested in gaming stuff, but any input you have would be great!

I'm trying to decide between a Ryzen 3 3200G for $95USD https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3200G-Unlocked-Processor/dp/B07STGHZK8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+3&qid=1597421148&s=pc&sr=1-2

Paired with a Gigabyte A320M for $55USD https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-A320M-S2H-MicroATX-Realtek-Motherboard/dp/B079NYQQJJ/ref=sr_1_11?

And this Intel Core i3-9100F bundle for $150 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BPJBB8F/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It seems to me that the i3 is going to be better, but I could be wrong?

The rest of the build:

Corsair Vengence 16GB Kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

WD Blue 250GB M.2 SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBV3XX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thermaltake Smart 500W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EM2W/ref=twister_B08DZ2QHJZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fractal Design Core 1100 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPIL6GQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Are you getting a graphics card with this build? the 9100F doesn't have integrated graphics so you'll have to add in the price of a GPU. But the 9100F from a purely CPU standpoint is better than the 3200G.

3 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Are you getting a graphics card with this build? the 9100F doesn't have integrated graphics so you'll have to add in the price of a GPU. But the 9100F from a purely CPU standpoint is better than the 3200G.

Thanks, I completely overlooked that. I was intending on using Integrated Graphics. So then the question becomes, is it worth the extra $55 for a GT 710 (really bad card I know, but it is cheap AF) https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2GD3-LP/dp/B01DOFD0G8/ref=sr_1_3? And going with the i3, or is the Ryzen 3 good enough? I'm thinking the Ryzen 3 is probably enough for the use case.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

Thanks, that is definitely a build I'd considered, it is $80 more (that $46 ram price doesn't arrive till Nov. It is $59 w/ prime).

I will for sure swap out my WD SSD for that Crucial one, it is WAY better for the price.

What are your thoughts on ASRock mobos? I've heard mixed things.

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

This is almost exactly the 3200G build i've been considering. I will NOT be buying a Silicon Power SSD for $46 when I can get a Crucial for $42 or a WD for $44.

23 minutes ago, Marshallhoff02 said:

I will NOT be buying a Silicon Power SSD for $46 when I can get a Crucial for $42 or a WD for $44.

Why is that? The Crucial P2 is trash and the WD Blue is SATA. Not that SATA is going to be noticeably slower, but still, I don't get it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Marshallhoff02 said:

Thanks, that is definitely a build I'd considered, it is $80 more (that $46 ram price doesn't arrive till Nov. It is $59 w/ prime).

I will for sure swap out my WD SSD for that Crucial one, it is WAY better for the price.

What are your thoughts on ASRock mobos? I've heard mixed things.

That motherboard I have listed is amazing for the price, and is much better than any other similarly priced boards. Most of ASRocks boards are great, its just the lower end b450 hdv and a320 ones which are not very good.

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Why is that? The Crucial P2 is trash and the WD Blue is SATA. Not that SATA is going to be noticeable slower, but still, I don't get it.

Is the P2 really that bad? Storage reliability is the most important aspect of this build, that's why I was willing to go with a SATA WD that I trust over a cheap NVME. I might just have to spend the extra money and go with a 970 EVO though.

Obviously everything is backed up, but the downtime of a failed part isn't worth it.

Edited by Marshallhoff02
Further explanation

5 minutes ago, Marshallhoff02 said:

Is the P2 really that bad? Storage reliability is the most important aspect of this build, that's why I was willing to go with a SATA WD that I trust over a cheap NVME. I might just have to spend the extra money and go with a 970 EVO though.

Obviously everything is backed up, but the downtime of a failed part isn't worth it.

The P2 is QLC which is slower than a TLC drive like the A80, and NVMe drives are reliable enough now that it's very unlikely for it to fail and it's easy to install a new one.

12 minutes ago, Marshallhoff02 said:

I will NOT be buying a Silicon Power SSD for $46 when I can get a Crucial for $42 or a WD for $44.

A $2 difference is almost nothing, and a NVMe drive will be way faster than any SATA drive

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

The P2 is QLC which is slower than a TLC drive like the A80, and NVMe drives are reliable enough now that it's very unlikely for it to fail and it's easy to install a new one.

A $2 difference is almost nothing, and a NVMe drive will be way faster than any SATA drive

Looks like the P2 is DRAM-less too, so that's not great. I'd heard a lot of shit about Silicon Power awhile back, but with both of you recommending it I'll give em a chance, it is quite a bit less then a 970.

Here is my new list then.

1 hour ago, Marshallhoff02 said:

Looks like the P2 is DRAM-less too, so that's not great. I'd heard a lot of shit about Silicon Power awhile back, but with both of you recommending it I'll give em a chance, it is quite a bit less then a 970.

Here is my new list then.

3400g is much better  and it has 4 more thread too. can you get that instead?

Edit: 400 is your max so 3400g isn't going to fit. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

53 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

3400g is much better  and it has 4 more thread too. can you get that instead?

Edit: 400 is your max so 3400g isn't going to fit. 

I'll see about talking it up, the 3400G should put me at about $425. I work for a small Newspaper group and in addition to my role as a copy-editor, I am also the technology person. Our accounting and subscriptions at each paper are the only two windows PCs they use, we do everything else on macs. Now that this PC is up to be replaced I am encouraging them to have me build one because I hate repairing off the shelf ones. For instance we recently had another accounting PC's PSU go out, and I had to buy a brand new computer because it was going to take 2 weeks for the proprietary PSU to arrive by mail.