Windows 10: Don't know what's in a new update? You will now, says Microsoft

wall03

Summary

Microsoft has admitted that it has done a poor job of explaining new features to users in its biannual Windows 10 feature updates. So it's now releasing a new iOS-like Tips app to make it easier for users to learn more about the new features in an update. 

Quotes

The new Tips app should help the one billion people who are actively using a Windows 10 device, many of whom aren't keeping abreast of the latest features being tested in the Windows Insider program, or highlighted through Microsoft blogs and tech news reports. 
"We know that it doesn't always feel clear what changed with a major update, or even how you can learn about and try out new features and improvements. This means that updates can feel time-consuming without real benefit to you, and we want to change that," said Brandon LeBlanc, a senior program manager on the Windows Insider Program.

The new "post-update experience" is currently being rolled out to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel on the Windows 10 preview Build 20190. It follows the release of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, a.k.a. version 2004, which contains relatively few feature changes as Microsoft attempts to stabilise its feature updates to cater for enterprise customers and consumers.   

The Tips app will highlight all the major changes in the next feature update after that update is installed. People with this preview build will see a new Tips app that shows "some of the most recent new features from the latest Insider Preview builds in the Dev Channel".

My thoughts

I would love to see something like this, but this is mainly geared at normal users. This would be a nice feature addition, but it should have happened earlier.

Sources

https://www.msn.com/EN-US/news/technology/windows-10-don-t-know-what-s-in-a-new-update-you-will-now-says-microsoft/ar-BB17VdAj

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Or we won't even have the time to open a browser because windows is an unstable piece of shit

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Just now, Cvet76 said:

Such strong opinion. Such strong language. Unstable how? I've yet to run into a problem.

ah youg one, you haven't yet experienced the absolute beauty of windows update crapping all over the system, completely random driver issues or just the OS wanting to commit suicide after 10 months (bit rot)

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

inb4 it's just devs blogging about thier day in the changelog.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Here's whats coming in the next update: a whole lotta pain and suffering

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xIuNOV-aqTvGRhe90DP19QHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

ps we need a ? reaction

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Clippy Didn't Just Annoy You — He Changed the World

yes, I would like you to help me, Cortana (the skin of Clippy)

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

35 minutes ago, mbntr said:

ah youg one, you haven't yet experienced the absolute beauty of windows update crapping all over the system, completely random driver issues or just the OS wanting to commit suicide after 10 months (bit rot)

I've experienced none of that, and I am quite abusive to my OS. I've also used the sketchiest ISO's with no Defender, Cortana, default start apps, etc when benching. The only time I've ever killed my OS was when running benchmarks with what I knew to be a very unstable memory overclock, and even that was a very rare occurrence. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

45 minutes ago, mbntr said:

I have been on the same Windows install for a couple of years now and I've never had any issues, I use my system daily and tinker with a lot of things

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Clippy Didn't Just Annoy You — He Changed the World

Yeah, gimme that cute little paperclip back instead of that data hungry creepy Halo adaption.

39 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

inb4 it's just devs blogging about thier day in the changelog.

You get a funny reaction for your profile pic, not your post 🙂

1 hour ago, Cvet76 said:

Such strong opinion. Such strong language. Unstable how? I've yet to run into a problem.

I also have had issues on my old gaming rig. So much so I had to switch it to Ubuntu when Windows 10 no longer wanted to work with the on board nic. On board nic works fine in Linux BTW. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

53 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I've experienced none of that, and I am quite abusive to my OS. I've also used the sketchiest ISO's with no Defender, Cortana, default start apps, etc when benching. The only time I've ever killed my OS was when running benchmarks with what I knew to be a very unstable memory overclock, and even that was a very rare occurrence. 

I assume you are talking about Win10?

Get back to us when you've tried to use 98, ME (shudder) or Vista, in any meaningful way.

ME would BSoD if you looked at it funny as a prime example.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

Microsoft has admitted that it has done a poor job

About goddamn time.

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

of explaining new features

Oh, nevermind, same old shit from a company used to forcing shit on users.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Get back to us when you've tried to use 98, ME (shudder) or Vista, in any meaningful way.

Well none of these are relevant today, so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well none of these are relevant today, so...

Relevant? Nope, I agree, but aa cycle of shoddy workmanship by a company that holds a virtual monopoly on desktop operating systems, and an indication of the quality of care they put into their systems.

They used to put. 

Or should we judge you by the stupid things you did as a kid? It's what happens now that matters, and it works.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, mbntr said:

Ok, if you're experiencing "bit rot", that's a HARDWARE PROBLEM, and nothing whatsoever to do with Windows.

2 hours ago, Cvet76 said:

I have with an old Korean dual link dviD monitor not getting a usable driver.  Thing is basically useless.  It also seems to be occasionally a pain to get installed correctly.  The habit of using automatic updates to push stuff that doesn’t always work well is another problem.  I’m not sure that qualifies it as “an unstable piece of shit” though. Depends on what base standards are. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I dont like this.

If they do it, I'll have no reason to read @GoodBytes's tech news articles! :( 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If they do it,

you mean me???

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xIuNOV-aqTvGRhe90DP19QHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont like this.

If they do it, I'll have no reason to read @GoodBytes's tech news articles! :( 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I assume you are talking about Win10?

You were safe to assume I was talking about Windows 10... in a thread with Windows 10 in the title.

I will say, it's bold of you to assume I am too young to have used Windows 98 and it's successors, I grew up in a Windows 95 household myself and still have my old collection of MS DOS games that still see their fair share of play every now and then (mostly thanks to their re-release on GOG), I am well aware of how Windows used to be. However, it's extremely ignorant to make blanket statements based on past statistics when referencing modern operating systems. 

58 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Relevant? Nope, I agree, but aa cycle of shoddy workmanship by a company that holds a virtual monopoly on desktop operating systems, and an indication of the quality of care they put into their systems.

That's not how this works. You can't deduce that a modern product is bad because decade old products from the same company were not to your standards. It's already a stretch to use that logic in slower development fields, but it's silly to have that mindset in the field of technology where things advance as quickly as they do.

That's just as silly as refusing to buy a modern electric Chevy vehicle because their early 90's vehicles had poor gas mileage and invest your entire reasoning into "Well they were bad back then". 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well Microsoft already those release notes. They just release it several days after the update is released. All I see them doing, is no longer have to wait so long for this, and now make it some startup page with Edge after you update OR have a link in Windows Update  that says "What's new" or something, when a new version of Windows 10 is ready to install. That said, they never, not even if you are in the insider program shares all the bug fixes, known issues perform. Just some key points. I think that will remain. Then again, no one really cares about the inner details, and miss interpretation (by the editor(s) which aren't teh ones that worked on it, and while have technical background, aren't experts, and may miss understand a dev (who might have a communication problem due to English being a second language, laziness, or makes sense for him/her in their head but not to others)) can be an issue. 

I am interested in better error messages than "Something Happened". But, probably, if I ask, they'll change it to:  "Something Happened - A certain event has occurred which may or may not be expected that potentially did something. Contact your administrator for more information."