Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchGuyTom

The "New" ATX 12VO

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone, earlier today I watched Linus' new video on the ATX 12VO. This is supposedly a new PSU standard and they say they're the first to see it outside of the lab.

Here's the video:

But then I just stumbled upon this video from four months ago and it talks about the Dell G7 prebuilt gaming PC you can buy at Best Buy. If you look closely, it looks like it uses a very similar power delivery set up since the proprietary connector looks identical to that of the ATX 12VO and sine it also relies on the motherboard to supply the SATA power.

Here is that video:

Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like this "new" power supply standard is not as new as they thought. It is probably new though in terms of being available as a standalone unit for System-Integrators.

What do you think?

I should be writing papers...

Just looks like a regular proprietary motherboard. It's not that uncommon in these type of machines.

It's not what you think it is.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's not 12VO, you can see around 3:30 in the video it only has a 6 pin power connector, the 10 pin from 12VO is nowhere to be found. Big system integrators like Dell, HP, and Lenovo have been making proprietary power supplies and motherboards since the early 2000s, possibly even before. It's unusual in having the SATA power come from the motherboard, but it's not unique.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

20 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like this "new" power supply standard is not as new as they thought. It is probably new though in terms of being available as a standalone unit for System-Integrators.

think it's been around for a while

also the computer in the 2nd video is indeed running only 12V from the PSU

image.png.77638e324f5e8fec72ad555fb196b40a.png

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Do not confuse ATX12VO with power supplies that output 12V only.

OEMs like Dell already use 12V only power supplies in some of their systems but there's no standard. They're not compatible with each other and it's a mess. 

ATX12VO is new. It's the new standard that 12V only power supplies will follow.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The Fujitsu E720 which is approx. 6 years old already had mostly only 12V rails with 80+ gold but a single proprietary connector so if the PSU dies you need exactly the same proprietary PSU or modify a off the shelf unit.

With 12VO things might change if the OEM use a common formfactor. So don't see it as replacement for the common ATX and more of a addition for OEMs.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for clearing this up. I totally forgot about the ten-pin connector on the 12VO.

One of the selling points that Linus brings up is the better power efficiency while idle or consuming <20% of the PSU's rated power. If OEMs already use 12v power supplies, I wonder if they are as efficient as the 12VO. If so, I doubt OEMs will be on board with adopting the 12VO standard and only System-Integrators would have an interest.

I should be writing papers...