CPU TEMP SPIKES 80c+

Redoga
15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah. I see it.  49c@20% cpu usage.  Sounds about right for a cpu that runs 40c or a bit lower flat idle.  Anything over very low 50s flat idle for ryzen2 and stuff needs to be looked at.  At that usage 60c would be basically acceptable.  Over  70c would be edging towards worrisome.  It’s within the “good bin” level for a 3700x   If that was 80% usage is be expecting nearer 70c for a good bin 80c for a poorer bin.  

🤔 Well, considering that the dude in that video video was still staying below 60C even at 65% usage rates, while paired with a tank like the 2080TI at 1080P, I consider it to be more than acceptable. I would say its what a Zen 2 CPU user should expect it to be. Anything more than that is more than worrisome if that benchmark video is any indication at all. Its a true testament to how efficient the architecture really is. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

12 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well, considering that the dude in that video video was still staying below 60C even at 65% usage rates, while paired with a tank like the 2080TI at 1080P, I consider it to be more than acceptable. I would say its what you a Zen 2 CPU user should expect it to be. Anything more than that is more than worrisome if that benchmark video is any indication at all. 

You mean below 70c.  Was hitting 67-68.  I wouldn’t call it worrisome.  It depends one the metric.  There is an old  metric that says CPUs run over 75c degrade slowly.  The problem is it’s old.  Like the beginning of SOI old. Close to 20 years. At the time Silicon on insulator had just switched from aluminum traces on silicon to to copper traces on insulator on silicon.  Silicon, aluminum, and copper are the same things now as the were a couple thousand years ago, so if it’s referencing them it hasn’t changed.  The issue is the insulator material.  I don’t know what it is. IF the thing that started degrading was the insulator only AND the insulator material is the same now as it was then THEN 75° is still a thing assuming it wasn’t a leftover from the older process and was even older than that.  If the the thing that degraded was the insulator BUT the insulator material is different now, the statement that CPUs aren’t bothered at all by temps in the 90c range is pretty reasonable.  It’s something I’d really like to know the answer to.  Unfortunately I don’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You mean below 70c.  Was hitting 67-68.  I wouldn’t call it worrisome.  It depends one the metric.  There is an old  metric that says CPUs run over 75c degrade slowly.  The problem is it’s old.  Like the beginning of SOI old. Close to 20 years. At the time Silicon on insulator had just switched from aluminum traces on silicon to to copper traces on insulator on silicon.  Silicon, aluminum, and copper are the same things now as the were a couple thousand years ago, so if it’s referencing them it hasn’t changed.  The issue is the insulator material.  I don’t know what it is. IF the thing that started degrading was the insulator only AND the insulator material is the same now as it was then THEN 75° is still a thing assuming it wasn’t a leftover from the older process and was even older than that.  If the the thing that degraded was the insulator BUT the insulator material is different now, the statement that CPUs aren’t bothered at all by temps in the 90c range is pretty reasonable.  It’s something I’d really like to know the answer to.  Unfortunately I don’t.

You were looking at the wrong number. The CPU never hit 60C. It was the GPU that was hitting 67-68C, which I consider to be perfectly fine for a GPU, especially one with that much horsepower. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

You were looking at the wrong number. The CPU never hit 60C. It was the GPU that was hitting 67-68C, which I consider to be perfectly fine for a GPU, especially one with that much horsepower. 

Was i?  Possible.  I’ll look again.

UPDATE:  right you are.  There was only one cpu temp registering but it was running 55-56c. 

matters for me misreading something, doesn’t affect the concept.  Even by the old metric if it was 67-68c (Which apparently it isn’t) would still be Likely fine. Might not be at 100% since I don’t know how much hotter it would get between the use levels it was receiving and if every Cpu core was pegged near 100% all the time. This CAN happen in non gaming situations, though it depends on what one is doing.  Prime95 wasn’t even designed as a cpu stress tester. It was supposed to be a standard workload.  It just happened to be effective, flexible, and free. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, BlackManINC said:

Well a 3700X is a 3rd generation Ryzen CPU that runs on Zen 2 Architecture. He confused the hell out of me by calling it "ryzen 2" when its actually Ryzen 3. Nevertheless though, your temps shouldn't be constantly spiking to 80°C. Really, under more ideal conditions, I'd say you shouldn't even be getting 70°C. I just checked the temps using Ryzen Master, Core Temps and MSI Afterburner just to see how accurate they all are while playing Hitman 2. They never went beyond 57°C, give or take. I have the same CPU you have, so I know for a fact that those temps you are getting are not "normal". That's a load of baloney. I'd be inclined to say install the stock cooler back and see what happens since its working perfectly fine for me, but I'm willing to bet that your case is the real culprit. I mean, I knew something wasn't quite right about it's design the moment I saw those little holes on the side of it. There is a reason why such design has become less prominent with recently released cases. Its not exactly a very efficient way to manage air flow. It looks rather old school, which is not a good thing. 😒

NZXT H510 Elite Reviews - TechSpot

i can't replace a case at the moment unfortunate :(