Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

This is NOT a normal power supply... - ATX 12VO

My PSU has lived through 4 motherboards, it is still going strong after over 10 years of usage. For me having those converters on MOBO would mean significantly higher cost just because I plan for my PSU to outlive them. I am planning on getting a new one, but I want it to live for 10+ years too and with motherboard it's highly unlikely.

22 minutes ago, Loote said:

My PSU has lived through 4 motherboards, it is still going strong after over 10 years of usage. For me having those converters on MOBO would mean significantly higher cost just because I plan for my PSU to outlive them. I am planning on getting a new one, but I want it to live for 10+ years too and with motherboard it's highly unlikely.

Well, if you get a 12v0 power supply, you'll simply have to get motherboards that use the 12v0 standard, just like the motherboards now support standard atx.

So just like your old psu, you should be able to use this new standard through 4 motherboards or more, if the standard lives (BTX was a thing and failed)

The VRMs on motherboard won't add significant cost, you'll save maybe 10-15$ on the price of the psu by not having those dc-dc converters in the psu, and the motherboard will cost 5-10$ more.

In theory power supplies should cost even less, because you reduce the number of different components (different connectors on the power supply and on the end of the cables), now there's only 2 different header connectors on the psu case (10 pin + 6 pin + 6/8 pin for pci-e) instead of 24, peripheral, pci-e, eps etc

They don't have to buy sata and molex connectors anymore and custom make chains of connectors, now they can mass produce only 3 different cables (10pin , eps 8 pin, pci-e 6/8 pin)

They don't have to add -12v regulator (for the serial ports)

They can use simpler protection chips because they don't have to monitor 3.3v and 5v anymore and have over voltage undervoltage, over current, under current...

Think of it as economies of scale, volume purchases ... a mid-high end motherboard uses 8-16 power stages for the cpu core power (or hi-side mosfet + lo-side mosfets), 2-4 power stages for the SoC and / or integrated graphics part, and 1-2 power stages for the memory controller ... so you could have 20+ power stages or 20 x (1 hi + 1-2 lo mosfets) ... tens of mosfets or power stages chips per motherboard.

A typical dc-dc converter in a power supply has 2-3 phases and outputs up to 20A of current, and you'll typically have 2-4 mosfets per voltage (3.3v and 5v), so 4-8 mosfets in total.

A motherboard manufacturer will get one price when it orders 500k mosfets, and a power supply manufacturer will get another price when it orders let's say 100k.

It wouldn't be that much more expensive to reuse some of the power stages or mosfets used for the cpu vrm or soc vrm or just upgrade the vrm controller from a 2 phase for memory to a 5-8 phase.

Basically, there's already at least 3 dc-dc converter circuits on a motherboard, adding another one that can use the same components will be cheaper

The downside is more ewaste, because you'll keep using the psu for 10+ years, but Intel (and maybe amd if they become too successful and go bad) will force you to upgrade the motherboard every 2-3 years if you want their latest cpu.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

The VRMs on motherboard won't add significant cost, you'll save maybe 10-15$ on the price of the psu by not having those dc-dc converters in the psu, and the motherboard will cost 5-10$ more.

Putting the hardware on the MB won't add significant cost, but for some reason taking the hardware out of thje PSU will save you money?

And there's no guarantee that the PSU price will actually go down. That's up to the seller.

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Well, if you get a 12v0 power supply, you'll simply have to get motherboards that use the 12v0 standard, just like the motherboards now support standard atx.

So just like your old psu, you should be able to use this new standard through 4 motherboards or more, if the standard lives (BTX was a thing and failed)

Oh, I didn't think motherboards would be unavailable, just more expensive. Even the numbers you provided over 10 years it comes to $10-$15 on psu and $20-$40 on the motherboard(multiplied 4 times) side. I fully understand that economies of scale play a huge part and if suddenly everything becomes 12V0, automatically that option is the cheapest(as long as supply keeps up with demand and the ATX doesn't get oversupplied which would make prices take a dive), but I guess we'll see.