Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cru012

The most reliable motherboard manufacturer

The most reliable motherboard manufacturer (regardless of price)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. The most reliable motherboard manufacturer

• ASUS
    • Asrock
    • MSI
    • Gigabyte
    • EVGA
    • BIOSTER

Posted · Original PosterOP

Which manufacturer produces the most reliable motherboard (regardless of price) in your own experience? Has a certain brand of mobo been failing you a lot ?

1 minute ago, gloop said:

All of them have bad motherboards, if you buy by brand, frankly you are stupid. 

I am totally with you on this. It is definitely stupid to buy a mobo solely based on brand and there are other factors at play such as the specs, prices and aesthetics. And here I am polling for the perceived reliability.  

Just now, Cru012 said:

I am totally with you on this. It is definitely stupid to buy a mobo solely based on brand and there are other factors at play such as the specs, prices and aesthetics. And here I am polling for the perceived reliability.  

Then I’ll go Asus. Personally I’ve found they have the best Customer Service, and their BIOSes are half-decent. 

6 minutes ago, Cru012 said:

mobo solely based on brand

If you do that you'll end up with a bad board most likely. 

All of them are good and bad. 

Depends on what model we're talking about. 

Don't buy based on brand, look at the product. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you do that you'll end up with a bad board most likely. 

All of them are good and bad. 

Depends on what model we're talking about. 

Don't buy based on brand, look at the product. 

True, but sadly reliability is not something that shows up in a product review or short test. This is something to look at over time.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have gone through enough motherboards to really say. Based on my own building experience:

- Built with 2 Gigabyte motherboards for my parents. One was in service for 5-10 years. Other one for 6 years. Both work fine to this day.

- Built with 2 MSI motherboards for gaming PC's: both were fine. One PC had issues, but could have been the PSU.

- Built with 1 Asrock motherboard: Works fine.

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails? Because sooner or later, one will fail, no matter the brand.

Just now, maartendc said:

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails?

Yea, I guess if we had 3 identical boards from different brands it comes down to that. 

But since we don't really have that, just the product not the brand. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

Asus. 

A couple other brands not on the list.

ECS

Abit

DFI

Super Micro

All of the above are reliable boards.

Most of which no longer produce boards.

Through the years have had boards from each manufacturer from the above lists.

Would have to say Biostop was closest to the bottom of the barrel.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

I have used Asus boards Z68 + Z270 + Z390 for the past 9 years years and i haven't had a single problem so far. 

CPU: i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz  CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro   RAM: 32GB 3200MHz CL16 Corsair Vengeance PRO    Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080   Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (Games), 2TB HDD Western Digital (Storage)   Monitor: XB271HU (IPS, 1440p, 165hz)

I'm voting ASUS simply because my last two daily systems have been running on an ASUS board and I haven't had any notable issues, but there is no such thing as reliability based on who manufactured the board - all of these manufacturers have good and bad boards.

Last time I had problems with an ASUS board was with a P43 board of theirs, running a Core 2 Quad, so LGA775.

I've used, or at least attempted to use Asrock I think twice and both times they were a nightmare, but granted they were fairly low-end boards iirc so you get what you pay for I guess.

I tried using an MSI board (either LGA1150 or 1155, can't remember exactly) on which, hilariously, the USB 3.0 port and 24-pin were to close together, so you literally could not plug in the USB 3 without damaging something, so I returned it. That being said, I've got another system running in my home with an MSI B450 board running flawlessly. This, again, goes to show that the manufacturer doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't indicate whether a board will be good or not.

I'm 99% sure I'm not going ASUS for my next build though. Or rather, if I was to build my actual daily system now, I wouldn't go ASUS.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB, 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

since you included evga, they honor their warranty and quickly, get a dark and enjoy.

9900k 1.32v max 1.26v avx 5.1ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

I'm voting ASUS simply because my last two daily systems have been running on an ASUS board and I haven't had any notable issues, but there is no such thing as reliability based on who manufactured the board - all of these manufacturers have good and bad boards.

Last time I had problems with an ASUS board was with a P43 board of theirs, running a Core 2 Quad, so LGA775.

I've used, or at least attempted to use Asrock I think twice and both times they were a nightmare, but granted they were fairly low-end boards iirc so you get what you pay for I guess.

I tried using an MSI board (either LGA1150 or 1155, can't remember exactly) on which, hilariously, the USB 3.0 port and 24-pin were to close together, so you literally could not plug in the USB 3 without damaging something, so I returned it. That being said, I've got another system running in my home with an MSI B450 board running flawlessly. This, again, goes to show that the manufacturer doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't indicate whether a board will be good or not.

I'm 99% sure I'm not going ASUS for my next build though. Or rather, if I was to build my actual daily system now, I wouldn't go ASUS.

I am a little confused. You had bad experience with Asrock and MSI for various reasons. But that is exactly why you should go for ASUS, right? Because that is at least the one with more neutral/positive experience. 

Just now, Cru012 said:

I am a little confused. You had bad experience with Asrock and MSI for various reasons. But that is exactly why you should go for ASUS, right? Because that is at least the one with more neutral/positive experience. 

I'm not going to comment on Asrock since I don't have enough personal experience with their boards, but what I said is that with MSI I had both good experiences and worse ones, and sort of the same with ASUS (granted a long time ago, specifically back in the DDR2 days). I'm saying that brand does not equal reliability, even with my limited sample size.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB, 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

5 hours ago, maartendc said:

True, but sadly reliability is not something that shows up in a product review or short test. This is something to look at over time.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have gone through enough motherboards to really say. Based on my own building experience:

- Built with 2 Gigabyte motherboards for my parents. One was in service for 5-10 years. Other one for 6 years. Both work fine to this day.

- Built with 2 MSI motherboards for gaming PC's: both were fine. One PC had issues, but could have been the PSU.

- Built with 1 Asrock motherboard: Works fine.

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails? Because sooner or later, one will fail, no matter the brand.

Yes - exactly - there is pretty much no way to measure reliability. Everyone uses the boards differently. Surely overclocking may reduce their life span but not doing so doesn't necessarily mean the board will last longer anyway. Like @Mateyyy and perhaps most of us, there is pretty much no way to get a large enough sample size personally, unless you somehow owns an electronic store and just test every board you have in stock. However, I still think this poll is useful in that people seem to have less problematic issues associated with ASUS at least within this limited sample size. Of course, manufacturing technology can change and probably had given the past day of the liquid vs solid capacity (that was one of my early computer and I thought I broke it). Seems like indeed there is a ASUS premium over and above their omnipresent marketing in YouTube and elsewhere. I guess the only drawback, if any, must be their price. 

4 minutes ago, Cru012 said:

Yes - exactly - there is pretty much no way to measure reliability. Everyone uses the boards differently. Surely overclocking may reduce their life span but not doing so doesn't necessarily mean the board will last longer anyway. Like @Mateyyy and perhaps most of us, there is pretty much no way to get a large enough sample size personally, unless you somehow owns an electronic store and just test every board you have in stock. However, I still think this poll is useful in that people seem to have less problematic issues associated with ASUS at least within this limited sample size. Of course, manufacturing technology can change and probably had given the past day of the liquid vs solid capacity (that was one of my early computer and I thought I broke it). Seems like indeed there is a ASUS premium over and above their omnipresent marketing in YouTube and elsewhere. I guess the only drawback, if any, must be their price. 

Exactly right on the sample size.

But by that logic, I don't think anyone could say any brand is more reliable, including Asus. I've never really bought Asus products, but I'd be surprised if they actually are more reliable in real world application. How much of it is just down to clever marketing?

Perhaps they make appealing products that perform well. But reliability? I mean, electronics are so finicky, I bet every brand has a failure rate of like 1-2% at least.

Look at the failure rate Backblaze posts for hard drives. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2019/

Most hard drives perform around 1% failure rate. Sure, there are some problematic product lines to be avoided. But by and large, they are all in the same ballpark. Same goes for motherboards probably. Just my opinion.

Worst "manufacturer" are HP, Dell, Lenovo

Change my mind

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/512GB Silicon Power A55/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD/2TB Seagate Barracuda // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Change my mind

I had two dell laptops before. As a user, I cannot change your mind. 

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Change my mind

Hard to say. I've had two consumer HPs and it was a whole lot of struggle with those.

The most stable laptop I've owned or used is the ThinkPad t420 and my brother's t420s (he now owns a t450). If I ever were to buy a laptop it would be a ThinkPad hands down. 

Although dell and hp business laptops are also decent the time I've used those. 

For desktop brands I've only used Asus and they have been good to me, cleans uefi with decent design choices and features. My brother had a bug two years in with just z97 board so the uefi UI was fucked (every menue on top of each other), we guessed our way to the uefi update menue and after a new bios update it was fine. 

Buying asrock for the first time now because Asus are stupid and puts the 16x slot on slot two on a mATX board, limiting expandability and fresh air for the GPU