Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pedro Henrique

First Build Ever - General Advice, CPU Cooler and Storage Options

3600xt came with a wraith spire. Which is good enough for day to day operation.

Just test it first before getting aftermarket one.

3600xt may not be a good overclocker as the clock already pushed to the edge by amd.

Thats why everybody here recommending 3600 instead as the oc headroom is still higher and probably can match 3600xt performance.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey there, this is my first post here and i have read and watched a lot of stuff around here while doing my research for building my own PC. Here is a quick summary and further down will be all the details.

-This will be the first time i build one myself and it is also my first desktop. All the details about my build and general needs are below, i already got most of the parts but due to price changes my original budget for CPU Cooler and Storage is not as good as i originally thought. 

-So now i am looking for suggestions regarding CPU Stock Cooler vs Other Coolers and if an ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD and an Aerocool Cylon 4 52.5 CFM CPU Cooler (ARS$10.000 or USD$66) are good choices for my needs or if there are better options for the same price range. I'm also worried if the M.2 will actually end up being detrimental when compared to regular SSD, considering the things i need to do as detailed later on.

-There are not many options around here but i will do my best to find the parts you suggest if these are not good enough. I like RGBs but i choose those mostly because it will be easier to sell the PC later on if i need to upgrade again earlier than i think.

- I think the PSU was a bit of overkill, feedback on if it will actually be harmful to the PC is welcome.

- Tips regarding building this particular build are welcome.

 

 

Budget (including currency): ARS$170.000 Total (or USD$1130 with import taxes included, conversion rate is at most ARS$150 per USD$1 considering all general taxes and import tariffs so something that is USD$10 will generally cost me at most ARS$1500)

Country: Argentina

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Games: Civilization VI, Kingdom Come Deliverance, XCOM 2, Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV, TableTop Simulator, League of Legends and many indie games and non AAA titles. Would be nice to know if it would be able to handle any of the more recent AAA titles though.

Programs and Workloads: Clip Art Studio Pro (for making and editing art with a Wacom Drawing Tablet), Adobe Photoshop (light photo editing for now), OBS Studio (for streaming and recording at 1080p), planning to learn and do video and audio editing; MicrosoftOffice365 and regular light stuff as well.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

 

I am upgrading from my 5 years old notebook Lenovo Y50-70 15,6'(1920x1080):

Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SODDIM Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M (recently broke)

SSD WD Blue 500 GB (originally had an 1TB - 16 GB SSHD);

 

As for peripherals, i'm not looking for new ones but i will give you the information in case it is relevant: right now i already have a basic wireless mouse and keyboard, a genius headset (cavimanus hs-g700v) and a Blue Yeti Pro microphone, all USB. For the monitor i will be using a 31' Full HD TV until i can buy a 1080p 60Hz 24' or smaller monitor.

 

As for planning:

Near Future - Still going to stick to 1080p 60Hz in the near future since i will prefer spending more for a more color accurate monitor instead of a 144Hz one. I also want to get more SSDs to have more storage space, and maybe and HD if the amount of storage i get is not enough. Eventually going to upgrade mouse and keyboard to non wireless better quality ones too.

Far future - I do want to eventually upgrade to a 4K color accurate monitor to make it easier to work with high resolution art and possibly also record videos at 4K, if the 1660 is to weak for 4K recording i plan to eventually also upgrade it for a newer GPU.

 

Obs: All parts prices in ARS, and the PSU model is actually Seasonic Focus GM-850 but i could not find it on PCPartPicker (my local store named it differently "Seasonic 850 Watt Real Focus Gm-850 80+Gold (Pn Ssr-850Fm)" but i think they are the same part, since i could not find anything about "Real Focus" on Seasonic website)

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $30000.00
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $27000.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card Purchased For $41000.00
Case MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $21000.00
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $24000.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $159780.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 23:14 EDT-0400  

 

It was extremely hard to find any good branded PSU above 550W, specially the ones on the PSU Tier List. I assume the one i managed to get is a bit of overkill but i hope it will not break things, let me know if it is too wrong since i can still refund the parts if need be. I also used the Motherboard VRM Tier list as reference for chosing the MSI MAG B550

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pedro Henrique said:

Total $159780.00

I gagged before I realized this was in a foreign currency.


 Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

                                                 -Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

                     -CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

 

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

 

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The pc case isn't that good. not the worst airflow with decent fans but still not the best that you would have gotten.

3600XT isnt worth over 3600.

 

with the savings from the cpu and case you would have gotten better gpu like rx 5600XT/57000/5700XT.

 

that nvme ssd is decent

 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $25500.00
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $27000.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Video Card ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card $57000.00
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case $13700.00
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $24000.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $163980.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 01:13 EDT-0400  

 


|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

reduce some specs to get a better gpu, 1660 not that great for that budget. 2060 or RX5600 is better.

3600 vanilla can overclock near the xt performance.

You don't need 750w to run this, 550w is okay.

Windows 10 can use from previous pc, or you can buy it for $10 in ebay.

 


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

The pc case isn't that good. not the worst airflow with decent fans but still not the best that you would have gotten.

3600XT isnt worth over 3600.

 

with the savings from the cpu and case you would have gotten better gpu like rx 5600XT/57000/5700XT.

 

that nvme ssd is decent

 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $25500.00
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $27000.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $8390.00
Video Card ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card $57000.00
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case $13700.00
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $24000.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $163980.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 01:13 EDT-0400  

 

The 3600XT has bad value then? Between them it was a ARS$8000 (about USD$53) difference, the benchmarks i could find made it look like it was much better than the 3600. The only reason i didn't go with AMD GPU was because of NVENC for OBS, with a 3600 i could have gotten an RX5700 ($54990) for sure, an RX5700XT would be out of the budget. Thanks for the thoughts on the NVME SSD.

 

 

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

reduce some specs to get a better gpu, 1660 not that great for that budget. 2060 or RX5600 is better.

3600 vanilla can overclock near the xt performance.

You don't need 750w to run this, 550w is okay.

Windows 10 can use from previous pc, or you can buy it for $10 in ebay.

 

Would a 550w be enough for a 2060 or RX5600? I could only get my hand on an 850w one which is even more, but i wanted a 750w to make sure i could upgrade the GPU later if needed. the other options were all on the lower tiers of the PSU Tier (Thermaltake White 80+, Corsair CV, Aerocool Cylon), so i tried to avoid them since the price difference was about ARS$5000 (about USD$33). Thanks for the tip on Windows 10, i will still be using my previous PC so i can't use that one, but i will get a cheaper option elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pedro Henrique said:

Would a 550w be enough for a 2060 or RX5600? I could only get my hand on an 850w one which is even more, but i wanted a 750w to make sure i could upgrade the GPU later if needed. the other options were all on the lower tiers of the PSU Tier (Thermaltake White 80+, Corsair CV, Aerocool Cylon), so i tried to avoid them since the price difference was about ARS$5000 (about USD$33). Thanks for the tip on Windows 10, i will still be using my previous PC so i can't use that one, but i will get a cheaper option elsewhere.

Yes, 550w should be plenty for 2060, enough even for 2080ti. You can get the budget quality one like Corsair CX.

If you don't mind the watermark, you can also use windows non-activated. Like linus.


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Some would say that you should get a RAM kit instead of buying two individual sticks like you did

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Some would say that you should get a RAM kit instead of buying two individual sticks like you did

I could only find dual kits of 2666Hz 8GB, could not find for 3200Hz. Does you or someone know how big of impact it is using multiple single rams vs dual kits?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pedro Henrique said:

I could only find dual kits of 2666Hz 8GB, could not find for 3200Hz. Does you or someone know how big of impact it is using multiple single rams vs dual kits?

Im no expert nor experienced but there are videos about it and it definitely makes a difference. they say the there are chances that the two individual ram sticks wont work and if they work, they will run at stock speeds(what the motherboard configs it) and not support XMP(overclocking the memory to higher or same spec as the RAM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pedro Henrique said:

I could only find dual kits of 2666Hz 8GB, could not find for 3200Hz. Does you or someone know how big of impact it is using multiple single rams vs dual kits?

NO. i never buy kits, always buy individually, never had any problems. Especially for hyperx memories.

just make sure you buy the same exact model.


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

NO. i never buy kits, always buy individually, never had any problems. Especially for hyperx memories.

just make sure you buy the same exact model.

Thanks for info, it will take a couple more weeks until all parts arrive so i can actually confirm if there was an issue or not. I did make sure to get the exact same model and also made sure the model is compatible with the B550 Tomahawk according to the motherboard's list of compatibility for RAMs. Now the only thing missing is potentially an cpu cooler, i wonder how well the stock cooler will perform, the case seems to have good airflow. I did do some research and most articles and videos i found say an aftermarket cooler is better, specially for overclock, i did find some saying you can be just fine with the stock cooler as long as you don't overclock and some even recommended "undervoltaging".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

3600xt came with a wraith spire. Which is good enough for day to day operation.

Just test it first before getting aftermarket one.

3600xt may not be a good overclocker as the clock already pushed to the edge by amd.

Thats why everybody here recommending 3600 instead as the oc headroom is still higher and probably can match 3600xt performance.


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

3600xt came with a wraith spire. Which is good enough for day to day operation.

Just test it first before getting aftermarket one.

3600xt may not be a good overclocker as the clock already pushed to the edge by amd.

Thats why everybody here recommending 3600 instead as the oc headroom is still higher and probably can match 3600xt performance.

No.


Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Gigabyte 1660s OC -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB - Asus Strix 1070Ti -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

 

CrumpleBox.2: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  4GB Patriot Viper DDR4 2133  -  2x Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX  -  Arctic Freezer 34  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

 

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

NO. i never buy kits, always buy individually, never had any problems.

wow you were so lucky. 

 

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

just make sure you buy the same exact model.

Do note that even though you buy the exact same model theres no guaranteed that both stick will be compatible with each other tho
 


Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for all the answers and the help, the only thing that was missing was a cpu cooler suggestion (although i get the budget for that was too small) i will deal with it in the future if heat becomes a problem. PC is built and working perfectly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 8/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, 5GigaaHertz said:

Im no expert nor experienced but there are videos about it and it definitely makes a difference. they say the there are chances that the two individual ram sticks wont work and if they work, they will run at stock speeds(what the motherboard configs it) and not support XMP(overclocking the memory to higher or same spec as the RAM)

 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:35 AM, ProBottler said:

wow you were so lucky. 

 

Do note that even though you buy the exact same model theres no guaranteed that both stick will be compatible with each other tho
 

I did get the exact same model, no issues so far and the XMP profile seems to be working fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pedro Henrique said:

 

I did get the exact same model, no issues so far and the XMP profile seems to be working fine.

you already purchased those ram sticks? cool! you were lucky as i read some people say it didnt work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

you already purchased those ram sticks? cool! you were lucky as i read some people say it didnt work. 

Yeah it is working fine as far as i know. I'm not sure what the deal is with people who saying it does not work, but i understand there must be a reason why manufacters sell kits.

 

What i did do was making sure the part number i bought was marked as compatible in the motherboard page, there were some part numbers of that same RAM model that were not listed as compatible (as i understand not being listed means the manufacturer did not test if it works well, but it could work but they dont guarantee it).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×