Thermaltake wants to revolutionize the way how you apply Thermal Paste

14 hours ago, Pascal... said:

This is bit a ridiculous, like they don't have to reinvent the Wheel here.

I would agree there and even then, Cooler Master's New MasterGel already exists for "beginner-friendly" feature...

Besides from "wasting" some paste, the logic seems sound here.  I would have to thermally test the different methods but there is benefit in a consistent layer.  

If you are good with the syringe and spatula, this could even help you save paste.  

Regardless of effectiveness, there is very little extra cost for them to throw in the stencil so it's worth a shot.

I guess this makes sense for new builders, kinda wastes paste though I'd like to see how temps compare to just applying a dot in the middle of the CPU.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I guess this makes sense for new builders, kinda wastes paste though I'd like to see how temps compare to just applying a dot in the middle of the CPU.

I suspect they will be near zero.  I doubt it’s significantly better.  Paste is a fluid so it squishes out as pressure is applied.  The hexagons probably squish too and touch each other.  Could likely have been done with a single hexagon and a thicker stencil. The complication with the pea method is it requires gauging by eye whereas the stencil method doesn’t.  The grating and grooved trowel  for mastic application were originally sold to DIY homeowners not pros.  Pros did eventually pick up the grooved trowel system though the grating one never caught on there.  bga chips already use stencils for applying solder.  It’s effectively a volumetric measurement system.  The question is how much slop is there in the measurement requirements though?  The impression I get is “a lot” so the fiddling around of dealing with stencil cleaning, and storing the stencil may not be worth it. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This solution would make sense for large CPUs (e. g. Threadripper) or really viscid thermal pastes.

But for smaller CPUs and less-viscid thermal paste I don't think it is necessary. They show in the video a blob of thermal paste I would consider perfect for a CPU this size, but after spreading it, it barely covers half the holes in the stencil. I would asume, people will just apply way too much thermal paste. The thermal paste mask seems to be too thick compared to preapplied thermal paste. Probably because they are using a acrylic mask while the preapplication is generally done with a much thinner steel mask. 

I just realized people with 3D printers could make their own stencils.

Imagine a fad where people design custom stencils for applying thermal compound.

I like the concept but it's still a waste of paste.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Imagine a fad where people design custom stencils for applying thermal compound.

That's a video idea right there.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

That's a video idea right there.

Possibly. If they'll review the official stencil then make one on a 3D printer it'd probably be enough material for a video.

I'd like to see a LTT logo stencil.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

They need to be really thin though.  Isn’t there a minimum thickness for 3D printing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

They need to be really thin though.  Isn’t there a minimum thickness for 3D printing?

In theory you can go as thin as you want if you can get the tolerances right but most commonly 0.1mm~0.2mm is standard. With the right material I think it's more than doable.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Probably on some, but I think mine can do just a few mm. If not, you could always cancel it once it reaches the desired thickness.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Im pretty lazy at times but this is a hard pass for me lol, what a gimmick 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Could become packets of disposable punched paper I suppose. It’s at the thickness level of a single sheet of paper.  Paper thickness can vary wildly within its limits.  Goes from watercolor paper which is near 1mm and is close to cardstock in stiffness to onionskin which is well under .1mm

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Im pretty lazy at times but this is a hard pass for me lol, what a gimmick 

The problem I think is this looks like more labor than the standard method

Does anybody have information on the thickness of Thermaltakes product? I'm a little busy. Can't sit and read through the whole product page.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem I think is this looks like more labor than the standard method

Anymore I use a spreader stick (like the ones pictured) because it is nice to ensure complete surface coverage - but yeah, 1 glop in middle, spread, attach cooler and go.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I quite like this. The first times I had to apply thermal paste I didn't really trust myself to do it (so I asked someone else to do it), so I think this definitely has a market.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

3 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Why not just put it all over the thing than miss gaps between shapes?

In the video they do a test where they use a clear plastic block to show that when pressure is applied the hexagons spread out and touch each other leaving no space between them.  Not quite sure wher the air goes though.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

In the video they do a test where they use a clear plastic block to show that when pressure is applied the hexagons spread out and touch each other leaving no space between them.  Not quite sure wher the air goes though.

so they show its just as good except wasage.

Why not simply just put a blob and use a piece of plastic to spread out 100% over the thing seems like the same thing but better to me.

23 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

so they show its just as good except wasage.

Why not simply just put a blob and use a piece of plastic to spread out 100% over the thing seems like the same thing but better to me.

Me too.  The advantage of the little stencil is it is effectively a measurement device.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, Heliian said:

I would have to thermally test the different methods but there is benefit in a consistent layer.  

Outside of HEDT setups, which the credit card smear method works pretty much the best for, then so long as you dont use too little there's no significant difference unless using a conductive or capacitive TIM. In which case there actually is such a thing as too much.

An attempt was made. Can't always get it right with the first prototype but it doesn't help that the paste I had available to waste was incredibly soupy.

IMAG0783.thumb.jpg.e8846957b066c8ca334f20b1bf6d10f2.jpgIMAG0784.thumb.jpg.d478eb9b747489c0494282a17f6b84a3.jpg

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

An attempt was made. Can't always get it right with the first prototype but it doesn't help that the paste I had available to waste was incredibly soupy.

IMAG0783.thumb.jpg.e8846957b066c8ca334f20b1bf6d10f2.jpgIMAG0784.thumb.jpg.d478eb9b747489c0494282a17f6b84a3.jpg

Try with Grizzly Hydronaut. It will work for sure because the paste isn't liquid like your paste :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)