Is the verge a trustworthy source?

okey_dokey

The first thing that comes up when someone mentions the Verge is their craptastic PC build guide but is that a good representation of their overall reliability, trustworthiness, and general knowledge?

1 minute ago, LinusTechTypos said:

The first thing that comes up when someone mentions the Verge is their craptastic PC build guide but is that a good representation of their overall reliability, trustworthiness, and general knowledge?

No idea to be honest. As always, be sure to check source material as well as multiple sources. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Pretty decent tech coverage tbh. 

They definitely lean left. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I would say yes. Their general tech news coverage is some of the best out there. Just don't trust any PC build guides from them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

They’re one of the biggest tech outlets out there. Consumer technology doesn’t really lend itself to issues with trustworthiness or fake news as people would just stop reading said outlet. This isn’t politics so anything but accurate information is counterproductive to their bottom line.

If you want like, super established and opinion devoid tech content, look at ArsTechnica for general news and AnandTech for PC focused news.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I use them for pretty much every tech news post I make. It usually has the major stories out quickly and accurately (unlike the build guide). But I have heard the stuff mentioned above where if you don’t agree, you’re wrong and evil. I haven’t seen it by them though only mentioned by (quite a few) others.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I guess depends on what the article is talking about? 

They're clueless when it comes to some things and they're not bad when it comes to others if that makes sense. 

Just look at the article and not who posted it and then check the source material and other articles about the same subject. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

They even called Bitwit racist towards Asians for using Lyle to review said video.   I don't really trust a source that uses excessive SJW level deflections like that.

I don't like that guy, he is full on clickbaits and worst thumbnails, to the point that I like ltt's variation over his. Also he is full on looks and RGB. But he is not a racist by any means, he ve been to China recently.

Now on Verge, their website is a bit or miss, but they don't usually reproduce fake news. 

I d say they are good but their content have "something off" that I can't explain. I think I mostly don't like their commentary on the news

Given their reaction to legitimate criticism of their pc build guide, I would say no, definitely not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i highly against judging a media simply by a single content piece they made.

the verge is a media outlet that is focus on wideness and lack of depthness. they have really good webside and video art but the content is sub par.

think of this: the verge's parent company is rolling a bunch of fresh highschool graduates into glass offices with toys, that has free meal with avacado, fancy chairs and apple computers; trucking them to places and write pieces. but it stays there, just writing pieces, pieces that probably not worth your cpu time to show the ads let alone read them.

comparing the verge to ign is an offence to the writers and editors works there.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Mostly,yes. But like any other "NEWS Corp" entity they are subjected to biased reporting from time to time. depending how idiotic the so called article writers are. we've seen some targeted narrative type attacks with manipulated titles & descriptions that sway far away from actual event.

Details separate people.