How to keep air cooler backplate from falling out...

Technobabble1337
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Tape.

image.thumb.png.ceb8076c6f61412a95f9ecc12aa9013c.png

Hello, how do i keep the backplate (not air cooler) from falling out of the motherboard while installing an RGB air cooler (AM4 socket) Asking for future reference when a second person isn't around to hold it in. Thanks

Air Cooler: Cooler Master A71C

Edit: i meant backplate not the air cooler, sorry for the confusion

4 minutes ago, Technobabble1337 said:

Hello, how do i keep the air cooler from falling out of the motherboard while installing an RGB air cooler (AM4 socket) Asking for future reference when a second person isn't around to hold it in. Thanks

Aur Cooler: Cooler Master A71C

Lay it down on a flat surface (preferably non-conductive).

Also accompanying the baove, install the CPU cooler on the motherboard before putting it into the case

Tape.

image.thumb.png.ceb8076c6f61412a95f9ecc12aa9013c.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Lay it down on a flat surface (preferably non-conductive).

Also accompanying the baove, install the CPU cooler on the motherboard before putting it into the case

Sorry for the confusion, please read the last line of my question again

Whatever you have on hand? 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Technobabble1337 said:

Sorry for the confusion, please read the last line of my question again

My answer still holds, you just put the backplate and motherboard down on a flat surface. How can the backplate fall out if its between the motherboard and table.

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

My answer still holds, you just put the backplate and motherboard down on a flat surface. How can the backplate fall out if its between the motherboard and table.

Gravity.

5 minutes ago, Technobabble1337 said:

Gravity.

This makes no sense at all.

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Technobabble1337 said:

Gravity.

The backplate cannot fall through the table, even when gravity is present. Perhaps through a very unlikely quantum event, but not day to day.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The backplate cannot fall through the table, even when gravity is present. Perhaps through a very unlikely quantum event, but not day to day.

I thought you had meant while inside the case, sorry, misread your answer, also my desktop was fully assembled at the time and i didn't feel like taking it apart completely

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

This makes no sense at all.

if the cooler is being replaced in the case. the backplate will often fall out. I think this is the issue here is the fact that he is installing the cooler while the mobo is in the case. 

EDIT: looks like he confirmed my theory while I was typing this out. 

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

if the cooler is being replaced in the case. the backplate will often fall out. I think this is the issue here is the fact that he is installing the cooler while the mobo is in the case

precisely, I'll remember to mention whether or not the system is assembled next time i ask a question.

3 minutes ago, Technobabble1337 said:

precisely, I'll remember to mention whether or not the system is assembled next time i ask a question.

While tape may present the backplate from dropping out, I still wouldnt trust it alone to keep everything in check while you mess around with aligning the cooler or with a screw driver. So in the end you will have to use one hand to hold the backplate, while the case lies down plate (hopefully it isn't a huge case like the 1000D), then grab the cooler with your other hand, and put it in place while you loosely start screwing it into the backplate either by hand or with a screw driver. Then once the threads are biting into the thread you can let go of the hand that was holding the backplate at that point. This would be with or without tape.

Getting one or two screws to bite into the backplate is going to be enough to prevent it from dropping out