Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FooYoungHi

Solutions for bad Bluetooth interference in house?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm trying to  use my Sony MX1000m3 in my house for music etc from my PC, but I'm running into a lot of interference. First I tried a generic BT adapter I had laying around for my PC, and now I got an Avantree leaf. The max range on this thing should be double the maximum range I use it with (20m), However, when I move away from my PC a bit, the sounds starts to stutter and never clears up anymore until I move back. This even happens when I'm in line of sight of the dongle. I tried it with my Galaxy S9 next to my PC, and the problems persist on the headphones. At work I can easily walk 20m away from my phone and still have a good connection, so I don't think it is either of the devices or OS (running Linux on my PC) that is the issue.

I live in an apartment, so there are quite a lot of WiFi signals around, but if that would be the issue, wouldn't it be all over my house?

Will it help if I return the Avantree Leaf and buy a stupid powerful (and probably equally stupidly priced) BT adapter, or is my house just badly suited for BT when I'm more then around 5m away from the source and will this be a waste of money?

Are there any other creative solutions that might be cheaper?

(sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)

I got vastly improved bluetooth reception when I moved from cheap BT usb adapter to mbo with proper wifi/BT card and proper antenna.

You need to get a really good adapter for bluetooth, look for PCIe versions and ones that are rated for BT4.2 and above. Also as staded by @riba2233 this is the proper way to do it. Another option would be to check if your house has a proper ground, not kidding for real they make magnetic noise if not properly grounded, good example is the cheap bt radio transmitter in you car, it will have a lot of noise from the alternator bc it does not have a proper ground (i will keep it simple)

13 minutes ago, FooYoungHi said:

I'm trying to  use my Sony MX1000m3 in my house for music etc from my PC, but I'm running into a lot of interference. First I tried a generic BT adapter I had laying around for my PC, and now I got an Avantree leaf. The max range on this thing should be double the maximum range I use it with (20m), However, when I move away from my PC a bit, the sounds starts to stutter and never clears up anymore until I move back. This even happens when I'm in line of sight of the dongle. I tried it with my Galaxy S9 next to my PC, and the problems persist on the headphones. At work I can easily walk 20m away from my phone and still have a good connection, so I don't think it is either of the devices or OS (running Linux on my PC) that is the issue.

I live in an apartment, so there are quite a lot of WiFi signals around, but if that would be the issue, wouldn't it be all over my house?

Will it help if I return the Avantree Leaf and buy a stupid powerful (and probably equally stupidly priced) BT adapter, or is my house just badly suited for BT when I'm more then around 5m away from the source and will this be a waste of money?

Are there any other creative solutions that might be cheaper?

(sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)

Bluetooth isn't designed to work over more than a few metres for audio.  However, using a proper WiFi card with antennas should definitely improve it.

You probably want one with an antenna you can put on top of the PC, unless you plan to always be behind the PC as you need line-of-sight for it to work.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Using a Class 1 transmitter helps. The avantree leaf is not very good. I like the Avantree Audikast. Will get you coverage in about 30 feet indoors, maybe though 2 walls.

There are other "long range" Class 1 transmitters, but the Audikast is the only one I'm aware of that supports USB input, whereas others need optical/toslink (which is annoying because most laptops don't have this input). USB extension cable is also important for positioning. 

I'm suprised you're not getting good performance with your Galaxy S9 though. Most new phones should come with Class 1 these days. Apple started this trend and my Moto Z2 force claims to also have this. It would be a damn shame if crapsung was still shipping Class 2 bluetooth radios.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be looking for a more powerful transmitter. Is there a certain price class I should look at? (as in; the cheap ones are crap, or something)

Concerning the S9: I just tested the range of my S9 on my JBL Charge3, and the reception is fine in the same locations where my headphones stutter too much to be usable. Can this be a codec/bandwith thing, of could the receiver in the MX1000M3 be inferior? (or both)

Does anyone also know how the Linux compatibility is with these adapters? That was one of the big reasons I got the Leaf initially, because they advertised Linux compatibility.