Ebay is full of damm scammers

Lii

Longstory short story:

I'm selling things on ebay and sometimes I do have customers that say that the thing doesn't work

When I do ask for more information and ask for videos by putting in their Username in a piece of paper and etx

I usually get two reactions:

They disappear out of nowhere

Or they do continue to reply but without actually replying to my fucking questions like by saying that they are being offended that I don't trust them or that they aren't stupid and continue

Though they do usually disappear after that I insist more and more times to have more proofs

Even if it's a time wasting process I need to do so, because of eBay and PayPal's shitty politics

Now I even got a crazy buyer that is demanding a refund of the item even after that he got the item because "he didn't see that there were shippement costs"

Are you out of your mind? I should refund you after that you got the item because you didn't see the shippement fees? Also how the heck didn't you see that there were shippement fees are you blind?

Say “sold as is. No refunds.” 

Also dont make compromises. Block bad buyers, rate negative and Make “no payment warning” on users not paying. 

Writing false return addresses is useful. As well as adding tracking numbers. 

58 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Longstory short story:

I'm selling things on ebay and sometimes I do have customers that say that the thing doesn't work

When I do ask for more information and ask for videos by putting in their Username in a piece of paper and etx

I usually get two reactions:

They disappear out of nowhere

Or they do continue to reply but without actually replying to my fucking questions like by saying that they are being offended that I don't trust them or that they aren't stupid and continue

Though they do usually disappear after that I insist more and more times to have more proofs

Even if it's a time wasting process I need to do so, because of eBay and PayPal's shitty politics

Now I even got a crazy buyer that is demanding a refund of the item even after that he got the item because "he didn't see that there were shippement costs"

Are you out of your mind? I should refund you after that you got the item because you didn't see the shippement fees? Also how the heck didn't you see that there were shippement fees are you blind?

Believe ebays shipping costs are pretty straightforward and extremely visible. Not your fault they can’t read. I just have no refunds. Best case would be to report them. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

First off, ignore EVERYTHING @fpo said. They don't know what they're talking about and are going to get you banned.

aisle9's Rules of eBaying:

1. If you sell on eBay, you accept returns. Period. Especially if you don't want to. If the buyer says "Item Not as Described" for their return reason, you are taking it. Condition of the item, working state, your own stance on returns, none of it matters. You are taking that item back. All asking for pictures or video will do is piss your buyer off, and the more pissed off your buyer is, the more likely it is their return package contains a brick. By the way, eBay will take the return and give it to the buyer anyway, because, their words not mine:
    1. There's no proof that the buyer put the brick in the package and mailed it
    2. You should build losses into your business plan
    3. eBay is a building and the building isn't responsible if someone comes in and shoplifts from your store inside of it
  2. If your buyer says it doesn't work, just tell them to open a return and issue them the label. If you don't, they'll open a return as Item Not as Described anyway, and if you don't issue them a label, eBay gladly will. eBay will also gladly hit your account with a defect and a higher final value fee for ignoring that return. Oh, and the buyer will get their money back anyway. Fight it on the back end, not the front. Even when fighting it on the back end, you'll lose by default. eBay hates sellers and wants us all to die in a fire so new ones that will accept any offer--literally any offer--come on board to replace those of us who won't bend over and take $50 for an item listed for $375.
  3. Reasons to block a potential buyer:
    1. Lowball offer (don't use auto-decline for this reason)
    2. Sob story
    3. Asking way too many questions (I allow one round via message, then one follow up to my replies)
    4. Asking the wrong questions (suggestive of a plan to return later)
    5. Non-payment (after the non-payment process has completed--open that claim ASAFP)
    6. Leaving too many negative or neutral feedback comments
    7. Revising feedback--suggests that they wanted a partial refund and got it from that seller
    8. Any kind of request that you change your shipping options for them, use their UPS account, change the address it's shipped to, anything like that. Block them yesterday.
  4. Situations in which it is ok to fight a refund up front:
    1. Buyer comes out  of the blue with a message that states the problem with their item--usually BS--and a hint that they'd take a partial refund instead. Or, alternatively, a very specific amount that they want with no explanation as to how they came to that number. This type of person is called a "partial fisher". If I get one, I just reply to them that I'm sorry to hear they're not happy with their item, and they're welcome to return it for a full refund. This works because partial fishers don't actually want to return it, they just want a post-sale discount. If you tell them to return it, they'll typically just go away.
    2. ANYTHING INVOLVING A FREIGHT FORWARDER. Not enough people understand this concept. Use of a freight forwarder invalidates buyer protection. Google the address the buyer wants you to ship the item to. If it's a freight forwarder, you're golden. If the product arrives damaged, it's the buyer's problem. If the product never makes it to the buyer but tracking shows that it did make it to the forwarder, that's their problem. Just keep track of which orders are going to freight forwarders, and if anyone ever complains, contact eBay over the phone with that info immediately to have the case closed in your favor. If, by some off chance, the return is approved, you are only responsible for shipping from the freight forwarder to you. Issue the label from the freight forwarder to you. The buyer will pitch a fit. Too bad for them. If they don't get it to the freight forwarder, get the forwarder to repack it and ship it back to you (most won't bother), and do all of this before the refund window closes, they're SOL.
  5. Anything high-dollar involving fraud, like sending out a $2,500 MacBook (why?!) and getting a 3-ring binder back, should be fought hard on the back end. In that case, go directly to your local police and file a report for theft. They will do nothing about it, but if you get a copy of that report and call eBay with it in your hands, eBay will probably give you your money back as a "one-time courtesy". This type of case should only be fought on the back end.

Any other questions, let me know. I've laid way off of eBay in the last year, but I flipped items, both electronic and not, on there for years.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

43 minutes ago, fpo said:

Say “sold as is. No refunds.” 

Sadly, this doesn't work. This is the same as forfeiting your rights from ever getting the item back while the buyer gets their money back anyway if they escalate a claim. Always accept returns.

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

-Very informative text on Ebay-

I do have a small question, if they have a return label issued, do THEY pay for the return shipping? Or is it free? Or is it you, the seller, that pays for it for some reason?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

I do have a small question, if they have a return label issued, do THEY pay for the return shipping? Or is it free? Or is it you, the seller, that pays for it for some reason?

It depends. If you put in the listing that you accept returns and the buyer selects some form of buyer's remorse as the reason (doesn't fit, don't like it, etc.), the buyer will pay the return shipping. That's why a lot of eBay sellers accept returns. If the buyer selects a reason like defective, doesn't work, not as described, something out of their control, you're taking that return and you're paying for the label.

I'm in the opposite camp of some sellers, and I always put that I did not accept returns. I felt like that was a deterrent to the average buyer, especially important since 80% of returns I got back were literally the item thrown in a box and mailed that way. Imagine how much motherboards loved that. I think it was worth dealing with Not as Described headaches if it prevented most of the stuff I sold coming back to me in pieces and eBay literally not giving a shit because, "How can anyone prove that the buyer packed that item?".

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Sadly, this doesn't work. This is the same as forfeiting your rights from ever getting the item back while the buyer gets their money back anyway if they escalate a claim. Always accept returns.

I just say “may not work.” 

I haven’t had any problems. 

Read the description and buyer beware. 

1 hour ago, Xvaster said:

Longstory short story:

The thing is, things tend to break, sometimes in the mail. You're only required to:

a) See pictures of the thing in order to file a dispute

b) If it didn't arrive, or arrived damaged, then it's your fault if you didn't send it insured.

Hence

- Anytime you sell something on eBay, use your own photos, that you took THAT DAY and watermark them with your seller id accross the center. Scammers will often steal photos to sell garbage using other sellers photos.

- List the terms in your post. For most pre-owned things, "sale is final" is not unreasonable. If the item is destroyed in shipping, the buyer has to file a claim with the shipping company.

Anyone who complains about shipping costs, is an idiot and will lose their dispute since shipping costs, assuming you used eBay's shipping tools are on the listing and accurate. If you fudged the shipping costs in order to inflate the costs, then that is a disputable thing, and in most cases the seller loses if their stated shipping cost is inflated higher than the listing fee cost. eg if it cost you $2 to list and sell the item and $2 to ship the item and you charged the seller $4 to ship it, then you will certainly lose that dispute.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

- List the terms in your post. For most pre-owned things, "sale is final" is not unreasonable. If the item is destroyed in shipping, the buyer has to file a claim with the shipping company.

The seller is responsible for damage in transit, and this is actually a good policy. The buyer didn't pack the item, the buyer didn't ship the item, why is it the buyer's problem if the item is damaged in shipping? eBay will grant this return at the seller's expense, and it's on the seller to contact the shipper.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Anyone who complains about shipping costs, is an idiot and will lose their dispute since shipping costs, assuming you used eBay's shipping tools are on the listing and accurate. If you fudged the shipping costs in order to inflate the costs, then that is a disputable thing, and in most cases the seller loses if their stated shipping cost is inflated higher than the listing fee cost. eg if it cost you $2 to list and sell the item and $2 to ship the item and you charged the seller $4 to ship it, then you will certainly lose that dispute.

eBay doesn't care what you set your shipping to. In fact, they encourage you to set a handling fee on calculated shipping (which is what everyone should be using), and there are no limits on what that fee can be. Some sellers will only use it to offset packing materials, others will use it to pad profit a bit. I've charged as high as $20 on very rare occasions when shipping something bulky, fragile, and requiring insurance well above and beyond what Priority Mail issues by default. A buyer that complains about shipping prices should be ignored. They agreed to the price when they bought the item. eBay won't even let them open a dispute over them, no matter how much a seller jacks them up.

41 minutes ago, aisle9 said:
    1. Cut/

Thanks

Anyway I have a question, but involves more about ebay's policies than the buyers (maybe(?))

Is there any way to fight back ebay's vero? I mean they put down automatically ads that they do consider as fake items without actually checking the item or listening what the seller does say

For what I understood if they do receive an high number of reports they so remove the item without actually doing any correct investigation

In this case I don't understand couldn't I just make a bunch of accounts and report the competitor's listing to have their items removed? If they for first just randomly remove items without actually doing any real "investigation"

10 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Thanks

Anyway I have a question, but involves more about ebay's policies than the buyers (maybe(?))

Is there any way to fight back ebay's vero? I mean they put down automatically ads that they do consider as fake items without actually checking the item or listening what the seller does say

For what I understood if they do receive an high number of reports they so remove the item without actually doing any correct investigation

In this case I don't understand couldn't I just make a bunch of accounts and report the competitor's listing to have their items removed? If they for first just randomly remove items without actually doing any real "investigation"

Vero, as I understand it, is set up more by manufacturers' instructions than eBay. eBay is very aggressive in pulling Vero hits down for that reason. The only relatively sure method I've heard for getting around it is to list as New (Other), but that's about as far as my understanding of it goes. It's more of an issue for new products, and outside of very rare circumstances, I only dealt with used items.

Be careful with creating additional eBay accounts. My policy is one selling, one buying, and even that has to be tread lightly to avoid running afoul of the eBay gods (never, ever touch your own listings).

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Writing false return addresses is useful.

I severely hope I never end up buying anything from you.

Not that it matters. In the UK it's effectively against the law to refuse a refund or exchange for a broken product that was sold as working. (This is not legal advice).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Ebay will trust the buyer if the seller has no video proof, and it is a bs fact here for honest sellers. This is why you always want to do a video proof of the item before packaging, after packing, and dropping off, so if the buyer wants to scam you, he/she can't when you have a video proof show the item is working as you describe in the selling page.

No eBay thread is complete without a PSA against the global shipping program.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, AlwaysWong said:

Ebay will trust the buyer if the seller has no video proof, and it is a bs fact here for honest sellers. This is why you always want to do a video proof of the item before packaging, after packing, and dropping off, so if the buyer wants to scam you, he/she can't when you have a video proof show the item is working as you describe in the selling page.

Video will not win you anything. eBay does not care. If you push hard enough, they will straight up say, "How do we know you didn't open the package again before sending it?".

37 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Be careful with creating additional eBay accounts. My policy is one selling, one buying, and even that has to be tread lightly to avoid running afoul of the eBay gods (never, ever touch your own listings).

If I do remember well, creating more accounts on ebay is aganist their policies

However it was just a supposition since I do see sellers that sell the same stuff as mine, but their item never got removed

So I was just wondering if they just couldn't flood ebay with reportings and put down competitors ads or making purchases just to let negative reviews

Just like some sellers do on amazon

8 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

If I do remember well, creating more accounts on ebay is aganist their policies

However it was just a supposition since I do see sellers that sell the same stuff as mine, but their item never got removed

So I was just wondering if they just couldn't flood ebay with reportings and put down competitors ads or making purchases just to let negative reviews

Just like some sellers do on amazon

You can have multiple accounts as long as you're not buying or bidding on your own items. A good rule of thumb if you're a regular seller on eBay is one for selling, one for buying. If you do both with the same account and someone you returned a purchase to takes offense, they can go and buy stuff from you, then return it all and blast you with bad feedback.

Competitors can and do report each other. A more common occurrence for me was seeing something where I see only one of an item listed and it's at a high price, so I list mine and undercut it. The guy with that other item will use a second account to buy it from me, then just never pay. If it's an auction, they can tie you up for over two weeks by the time the claim is through, and hope to sell theirs in the meantime. That's a really good argument for only using buy it now with immediate payment required.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

eBay doesn't care what you set your shipping to. In fact, they encourage you to set a handling fee on calculated shipping (which is what everyone should be using), and there are no limits on what that fee can be. Some sellers will only use it to offset packing materials, others will use it to pad profit a bit. I've charged as high as $20 on very rare occasions when shipping something bulky, fragile, and requiring insurance well above and beyond what Priority Mail issues by default. A buyer that complains about shipping prices should be ignored. They agreed to the price when they bought the item. eBay won't even let them open a dispute over them, no matter how much a seller jacks them up.

Again there is this buyer who bought the item for like 1 euro + 7/8 euro of shippement

Now he wants the shippement refund because "he couldn't image that the Spedition would be so pricey" and threaten to give out a negative reviews

We cannot neither say to send back the item because it is a monouse one, and also from the law of our state we are not supposed to offer refunds for that type of item

We just replied to him that he is the one that is behaving like a scammer, since there is no way that he didn't see the shippement costs and that he should remember that we can do the same reporting him and giving to him a negative feedback

But Btw now that I noticed all of those guys come from russian federation (except for one guy) is there a way to block russians from buying from me?

6 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

We just replied to him that he is the one that is behaving like a scammer, since there is no way that he didn't see the shippement costs and that he should remember that we can do the same reporting him and giving to him a negative feedback

Never do that. I once called eBay to complain about a seller who had told me that I was a thief (long story) , and eBay shut him down for two weeks. eBay will eat you alive if your buyer calls to complain about being called a scammer. If someone complains about shipping prices after paying, just tell them that shipping prices are set by the shipping companies and you can do nothing about them.

Second note: by threatening to leave you negative feedback, the buyer is committing what eBay calls feedback extortion. Normally I'd say contact eBay and tell them to read the messages out loud to see the feedback and close any claims he may open, but then they'd see you calling him a scammer so...

Just ignore any future messages. People don't do that enough on eBay. If you answer any eBay mandated questions once and offer any resolution at that time, you're free to ignore everything else and all subsequent messages, and you're better off for it in the end. Case in point: if you'd been ignoring the buyer, you wouldn't have called him a scammer and made things trickier for yourself.

Also, sellers cannot give negative feedback. Sellers can give positive feedback and that's it. Only buyers can leave neutral or negative feedback.

6 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

But Btw now that I noticed all of those guys come from russian federation (except for one guy) is there a way to block russians from buying from me?

Yes. There's an option in your seller settings to block purchases from certain countries or regions, and you can set that in individual listings as well. I highly recommend doing so.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Video will not win you anything. eBay does not care. If you push hard enough, they will straight up say, "How do we know you didn't open the package again before sending it?".

It does win you over scammer buyers. Ebay will care once seller have video evidence. You gotta act like a big boy.  You record everything from testing the product that it is working as you advertised then packaging then dropping off in one video take, and have your name written on a piece of paper shown in the video too. Video is more powerful evidence over picture.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysWong said:

It does win you over scammer buyers. Ebay will care once seller have video evidence. You gotta act like a big boy.  You record everything from testing the product that it is working as you advertised then packaging then dropping off in one video take, and have your name written on a piece of paper shown in the video too. Video is more powerful evidence over picture.

eBay does not care. Trust me. Been there, done that, and r/eBay is full of stories of attempting it. eBay does not care about video evidence. If you take an obscenely long, uncut video of you packaging the item, taping the box shut with an entire roll of packing tape, walking to the post office, handing it to a clerk who hands you back tracking information then walks it to the back and puts it on a truck, eBay's response to you will be, "How do we know you didn't open the package back up after finishing your video?".

eBay gives zero shits about any and all videos. They won't even look at them. Relying on one as evidence is pointless, and telling a shady buyer that you have one is considered to be accusing the buyer of fraud.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

eBay does not care. Trust me. Been there, done that, and r/eBay is full of stories of attempting it. eBay does not care about video evidence. If you take an obscenely long, uncut video of you packaging the item, taping the box shut with an entire roll of packing tape, walking to the post office, handing it to a clerk who hands you back tracking information then walks it to the back and puts it on a truck, eBay's response to you will be, "How do we know you didn't open the package back up after finishing your video?".

eBay gives zero shits about any and all videos. They won't even look at them. Relying on one as evidence is pointless, and telling a shady buyer that you have one is considered to be accusing the buyer of fraud.

Ebay will look at it once you have the police and lawyer on the case if the item is worth it. I didn't even know Ebay will be a dick like that even seller has evidence.

No wonder I don't like shipping item either. I prefer local cash and pick up.

47 minutes ago, AlwaysWong said:

Ebay will look at it once you have the police and lawyer on the case if the item is worth it. I didn't even know Ebay will be a dick like that even seller has evidence.

No wonder I don't like shipping item either. I prefer local cash and pick up.

Police involvement was covered in my original post. Basically, if it's high-dollar fraud and you file a report with your local police then call eBay with it, you might get a one-time exception and your money back.

Mercari and OfferUp are both much more seller-friendly when shipping, and the flat fee on OfferUp is really nice compared to the stacked eBay/PayPal/Managed Payments fees from eBay. Still, when I do sell these days, I prefer using Letgo, OfferUp or Craigslist locally. The way I see it, if I get 10% less than my listing price, I'm making more than I would selling it on eBay, but there are zero returns to deal with.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I severely hope I never end up buying anything from you.

Not that it matters. In the UK it's effectively against the law to refuse a refund or exchange for a broken product that was sold as working. (This is not legal advice).

I sell as potentially non-functional. 

I only wrote 1 false return address because the guy was a meanie head & didn’t read anything & I had to pull a non-payment. 

I don’t want an angry guy knowing where I live. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I sell as potentially non-functional. 

I only wrote 1 false return address because the guy was a meanie head & didn’t read anything & I had to pull a non-payment. 

I don’t want an angry guy knowing where I live. 

Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood you

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.