Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tjames75

Damaged Capacitor

Posted · Original PosterOP

While trying to screw in something on the cpu cooler my screwdriver slipped of and hit one of the capacitors leaving the damage shown in the pictures. Will it be okay or do I need to get a new motherboard? This is one of the capacitors to the left of the cpu and the board is an Asus B450-F

20200811_231338.jpg

20200811_231330.jpg

Unless the tool ruptured the casing of the capacitor, there's nothing to worry about. Wipe off the dust (?) above the 23 on the top of the capacitor, then feel if there's a dent in the metal. Probably not, these components are fairly sturdy.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I'm caught between "My God!" and "well, if it works..."

r5 3600 4.175GHz@1.1875v | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Unless the tool ruptured the casing of the capacitor, there's nothing to worry about. Wipe off the dust (?) above the 23 on the top of the capacitor, then feel if there's a dent in the metal. Probably not, these components are fairly sturdy.

There is definitely a dent of some kind but I can't tell if it actually punctured the casing or not. Should I just turn it on and see if it works?

Yes, but keep your hand at the main switch, or better the power cord, rip it out the second you see/hear something it normally doesn't do.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 minutes ago, Tjames75 said:

There is definitely a dent of some kind but I can't tell if it actually punctured the casing or not. Should I just turn it on and see if it works?

Turn it on without anything besides the psu and if it does not go up in smoke it should be fine but run some stress testes once its up and running.

Quote or at me @Smit Devrukhkar for me to see your replies.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

3 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Turn it on without anything besides the psu and if it does not go up in smoke it should be fine but run some stress testes once its up and running.

So I should take the cpu out and just plug the psu into the motherboard to test if it works?

17 minutes ago, Tjames75 said:

So I should take the cpu out and just plug the psu into the motherboard to test if it works?

Basically yes, and hope

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

5 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Basically yes, and hope

If it doesn't work do you think I could just return the board? It's still within 30 days of me buying it.

4 hours ago, Tjames75 said:

If it doesn't work do you think I could just return the board? It's still within 30 days of me buying it.

Usually not considering its not a board defect, but they don't need to know you stabbed it with a screw. Just wipe it down and say it came like that.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

34 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Usually not considering its not a board defect, but they don't need to know you stabbed it with a screw. Just wipe it down and say it came like that.

I'm returning it and just not saying I punched it with a screw and saying it came like that. I also found a different capacitor that was leaning to the side a lot which means it could be broken and that I didn't do so it was already broken anyways.