Damaged Capacitor

Tjames75

While trying to screw in something on the cpu cooler my screwdriver slipped of and hit one of the capacitors leaving the damage shown in the pictures. Will it be okay or do I need to get a new motherboard? This is one of the capacitors to the left of the cpu and the board is an Asus B450-F

20200811_231338.jpg

20200811_231330.jpg

Unless the tool ruptured the casing of the capacitor, there's nothing to worry about. Wipe off the dust (?) above the 23 on the top of the capacitor, then feel if there's a dent in the metal. Probably not, these components are fairly sturdy.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I'm caught between "My God!" and "well, if it works..."

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Unless the tool ruptured the casing of the capacitor, there's nothing to worry about. Wipe off the dust (?) above the 23 on the top of the capacitor, then feel if there's a dent in the metal. Probably not, these components are fairly sturdy.

There is definitely a dent of some kind but I can't tell if it actually punctured the casing or not. Should I just turn it on and see if it works?

Yes, but keep your hand at the main switch, or better the power cord, rip it out the second you see/hear something it normally doesn't do.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 minutes ago, Tjames75 said:

There is definitely a dent of some kind but I can't tell if it actually punctured the casing or not. Should I just turn it on and see if it works?

Turn it on without anything besides the psu and if it does not go up in smoke it should be fine but run some stress testes once its up and running.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Turn it on without anything besides the psu and if it does not go up in smoke it should be fine but run some stress testes once its up and running.

So I should take the cpu out and just plug the psu into the motherboard to test if it works?

17 minutes ago, Tjames75 said:

So I should take the cpu out and just plug the psu into the motherboard to test if it works?

Basically yes, and hope

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

5 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Basically yes, and hope

If it doesn't work do you think I could just return the board? It's still within 30 days of me buying it.

4 hours ago, Tjames75 said:

If it doesn't work do you think I could just return the board? It's still within 30 days of me buying it.

Usually not considering its not a board defect, but they don't need to know you stabbed it with a screw. Just wipe it down and say it came like that.

Desktop :

Laptop :

34 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Usually not considering its not a board defect, but they don't need to know you stabbed it with a screw. Just wipe it down and say it came like that.

I'm returning it and just not saying I punched it with a screw and saying it came like that. I also found a different capacitor that was leaning to the side a lot which means it could be broken and that I didn't do so it was already broken anyways.