Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zebraheaded

Newbie Question About Rams

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, I decided to get a new gaming PC and I have faced a small problem when it came to choosing my rams, basically, I wanted to get 4 sticks of ram (G.skill) 8GB each to have 32GB (8 x 4) but the local supplier doesn't have a kit like that and instead offered me two identical (According to him) kits of 16GB (8 x 2)

 

These are the two ram kits that he offered:

 

G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16Gb (8 x 2) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR CL16-18-18-38 1.35V

same numbers and models on both boxes of the kits (I took pictures sorry about their size)

 

1.thumb.jpg.e0059399b1e11e990d34795c10267af7.jpg

 

 

 

2.thumb.jpg.c4009180f59da656b2cedd840e35b043.jpg

 

So if I take two kits I will have my 32GB but as in tow kits of 16Gb (2 x 😎 and I am not sure if it's ok to do that or will I face some unforeseen problems with my system in the future

And this is the system I'm planning to get so if there are any suggestions please feel free give me some:

 

Mobo: ASUS Rog Maximus XII Formula Z490

 

CPU: Intel I9 10900K
 

CPU Cooler: Asus Rog Ryujin 360 RGB AIO

 

GPU: GTX 1080 (till the new 30xx comes out which should be within a month)

 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory –SKU  F4-3200C16D (what I wanted)

 

System Storage: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB

 

PSU: Asus Rog Thor 850W Certified Fully Modular RGB PSU

 

Storage: 2 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD 7200RPM

 

Case: Asus Rog Strix Helios GX601RGB

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll work together just fine for the most part.  

No hard will be caused but mix and matching ram isn't 100% guaranteed. 

But for the most part it should technically work. 

3 minutes ago, zebraheaded said:

And this is the system I'm planning to get so if there are any suggestions please feel free give me some:

The board is decent. Though if you're not planning on doing a custom loop just get a different one.

The PSU is overpriced and you don't need an 850w, an rm550x or a SP11 550w will work just fine. 

I don't know what your workload is, but if you're just gaming, a 10600k will perform similarly in games as they don't scale up to 10 cores. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see on the boxes and the information you gave us, those are the exact same dimms. So, why would it make a difference if you bought 1 box with 4 of them in it or 2 boxes with each having 2 dimms in it? 

Think about it that way:
If you are going to buy icecream and you want 2 balls of vanilla, but the cashier gives, instead of giving 1 cone with 2 balls, gives you 2 cones with 1 ball each. Will the vanilla ice cream taste different? No, cause they are the exact same ice cream.

 

Usually, people dont tend to buy a kit with 4x8 dimms, as you can get 2x16 as well and then still have room for more to upgrade in the future. Plus, having 2 dimms used instead of 4 gives you a bit more performance as well (dont ask me why, i dont know that, thats just what i heard, so i cant guarantee the last statement :D


Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

 

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

 

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

They'll work together just fine for the most part.  

No hard will be caused but mix and matching ram isn't 100% guaranteed. 

But for the most part it should technically work. 

The board is decent. Though if you're not planning on doing a custom loop just get a different one.

The PSU is overpriced and you don't need an 850w, an rm550x or a SP11 550w will work just fine. 

I don't know what your workload is, but if you're just gaming, a 10600k will perform similarly in games as they don't scale up to 10 cores. 

What could go wrong with mixing these two even though via the pictures you can see that they are almost identical ? 

 

yeah I'm planning on a custom loop but after the new rtx is released since I already have the asus AIO I'm gonna use it till then, my build is for mainly gaming but I wanted something to last me at least 5 years just like my current one (i7 6700k) and keep changing GPU whenever needed. plus I'm planning to learn how and OC the hell out of the i9 but of course after at least a year 

 

for the psu its just because its asus (I know I know I'm a sucker for asus lol)  other than that yeah I know its overkill for the system but I dont mind it since my budget is high 

 

 

1 hour ago, JayBe said:

As you can see on the boxes and the information you gave us, those are the exact same dimms. So, why would it make a difference if you bought 1 box with 4 of them in it or 2 boxes with each having 2 dimms in it? 

Think about it that way:
If you are going to buy icecream and you want 2 balls of vanilla, but the cashier gives, instead of giving 1 cone with 2 balls, gives you 2 cones with 1 ball each. Will the vanilla ice cream taste different? No, cause they are the exact same ice cream.

 

Usually, people dont tend to buy a kit with 4x8 dimms, as you can get 2x16 as well and then still have room for more to upgrade in the future. Plus, having 2 dimms used instead of 4 gives you a bit more performance as well (dont ask me why, i dont know that, thats just what i heard, so i cant guarantee the last statement :D

well in my little to almost no experience lol I thought they might not work and I wanted to make sure because this system will cost a lot since I'm planning to get the flagship of the new RTX 30xx as soon as they release which should be by the end of September. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zebraheaded said:

What could go wrong with mixing these two even though via the pictures you can see that they are almost identical ? 

Well yea they should work. 

It's just I can't guarantee it. But for the most part, it should work just fine. 

16 minutes ago, zebraheaded said:

for the psu its just because its asus

It's not that it's a bad PSU it's just overpriced and some perform about the same or better for cheaper. 

Though if you went with it, it won't he a bad PSU. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well yea they should work. 

It's just I can't guarantee it. But for the most part, it should work just fine. 

I can ditch the plan to get 4 sticks and just get two since the i9 doesnt support quad >.>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zebraheaded said:

can ditch the plan to get 4 sticks and just get two since the i9 doesnt support quad >.>

That doesn't mean it's not going to work. 

The i9 has 2 memory channels meaning with 4 sticks you'll be getting the same bandwidth as 2 sticks. 

I do recommend going with 2 sticks because well there won't be any performance difference and you'll have room for upgradability. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×