212 Evo vs Black head to head

Fasauceome

Haven't seen a direct side by side comparison of these coolers before, I've really liked the performance of my Evo so far, but decided to swap coolers for the improved looks. I didn't expect any thermal difference but ran the numbers anyway.

First things first, the unboxing is near identical. The cooler comes in a shaped plastic shroud inside a cardboard box, and the screws are even in identical packaging to the 212 Evo.

image.png.3cf9fd940c45721be524a2f9587c9eed.png

This was an open box deal so I didn't get the shrink wrap clamshell that holds the bits. The Black edition comes with a fan splitter, however, as an additional accessory.

The installation process is almost completely different. The most annoying part of the 212 Evo was lining up the scissor bracket with the screw holes, but this cooler takes a different direction. First, you install four standoffs into this backplate, and then use plastic clips to hold them in.

image.png.617538c5e0e9c077bf0edc565ed62f0c.png

It slides together quite nicely, and you don't need to use 2 hands to get the other side of the cooler attached.

They have completely done away with the scissor design and replaced it with two C shaped brackets that screw in separately

image.png.ce7f820c188c92d18fb75e2f6e52f039.png

so they cannot be misaligned. It also eliminates the massive amount of play that the 212 Evo had, with the cooler able to rotate almost 15 degrees when affixed. The fan fixtures also changed from screw on plastic mounts to wire clips, which are extremely convenient. It makes it much easier to install fans or remove them, especially when the cooler is installed. As for thermals:

Side by side runs of over 20 minutes of each are below. I'll let you guess which is which:

snip1.thumb.PNG.a327ce44d2997f19feedfca908e8c55e.PNGsnip2.thumb.PNG.84d9ef8d617b36ec74d70bb5eff82208.PNG

Can you tell which is which? Yeah, turns out the thermal performance is near identical, one degree difference. What really matters is the noise. Both coolers were using sound damping rubber pads on the fans, but the 212 Black is significantly quieter. Mind you, this is coming from someone who really does not care about acoustics (blower GPU squad, woot.)

Final Verdict:

The 212 Evo was never a bad performer, just a huge pain in the ass. The 212 Black solves the quality of life issues while sacrificing none of the thermal performance. Definitely worth the extra few bucks if you do care about little things like that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Why not get a cooler with a lot more OC headroom?

4.7GHz all core is far from disappointing, and at these temps, during these hot summer days, I have a lot more OC headroom.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Why not get a cooler with a lot more OC headroom?

Because 212 EVO is cheap and is a good upgrade over the stock cooler. Most people aren't going to overclock anyways. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

4.7GHz all core is far from disappointing, and at these temps, during these hot summer days, I have a lot more OC headroom.

a cpu like that can do an EASY 5.1

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Because 212 EVO is cheap and is a good upgrade over the stock cooler. Most people aren't going to overclock anyways. 

i'm talking specifically in this case, cos there is no stock cooler. OP already has an OC.

28 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

a cpu like that can do an EASY 5.1

If I was to do some LLC tweaking, imc voltage reduction, and an AVX offset, I bet this cooler could handle this CPU at 5.1. would be loud as hell though.

The 8086K does quite well with low voltages, as expected.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

If I was to do some LLC tweaking, imc voltage reduction, and an AVX offset, I bet this cooler could handle this CPU at 5.1. would be loud as hell though.

The 8086K does quite well with low voltages, as expected.

might need a delid, which is worth it.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

might need a delid, which is worth it.

The purpose of my current rig is good performance at a convenient upper price bracket. I'm not chasing highest clocks I can, since I achieve the gaming performance that I desire.

Primary PC:

Not that surprising. The heatsink is same, just painted black. Like with every other 212 upgrade, the fan is the one they've improved.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv