Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

We have to be responsible 

if everybody just downloads stuff there won’t be anything around in a few years we’ll destroy the internet

it‘s just like with the rainforest 

and these ISPs are like the Greenpeace of the internet

Spoiler

Of course not

Spoiler

It’s a joke 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Franck said:

1.2 TB holy crap. Here the lowest i could find is rodgers at 160$ extra for 50 gb so 3,840$ per month for 1.2 TB.

Since the Pandemic began my usage has been around 500GB/mo, and I swear that is the damn PSO2 updater, but that's only been on the PC since May.

Anyway, technically the plan I have is the 300GB plan for $75/mo with the 15$ unmetered add-on which I added after I left the PC on streaming one day and burned clear through the bandwidth cap. It's this kind of BS that ISP's secretly hope to bill you for, but the billing arguments they have to fight actually cost them more than than the 10000% markup on bandwidth.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/15/crtc-wholesale-rates-wholesale-access-internet-network/

In Order 2000-789, the Commission considered it appropriate to use a proxy monthly cost of $0.152 per channel, per subscriber, as proposed by the cable carriers, to estimate the costs associated with coaxial facilities.Footnote19 The proxy cost was set to equal the monthly per-subscriber rate of $0.152 approved in Public Notice 1997-35 for access by exempt programming undertakings to cable carriers’ channel capacity.

See that, it costs CABLE carriers less than 16 cents per channel to use. So if you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in a 24x8 configuration it costs them $3.65 for the downlink and $1.22 for the uplink. So really it costs the ISP less than $5.00/mo to service your home with the maximum configuration, and this is how much they should be charging wholesalers, yet the the document linked later shows they charge between $11 and $20/mo.

DSL is funny though, this is from Telus:

image.thumb.png.a7f0e577de08abf2aadd886c5418c3a5.png

So I'm paying like $100/mo for what costs a wholesaler 23.58/mo. So suffice it to say, no bandwidth costs are taken into account since in this scenario the wholesaler provides the actual bandwidth, this is just the connection. But if you look at the final costs, only the DSL tiers actually increase, where as the cable tiers do not, so that tells you much about the push for fiber. Take note of that $6 difference for bonded dsl (basically requires using two lines), if it only costs $6 to add a line, then why isn't the base price $6.00

How much does the pipe cost cost you say? Go to Appendix 1

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-288.htm

Anyhow, the thing is the cost per GB is completely arbitrary.

image04_4.png

https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

and that's from 2014. Cloudflare pays exactly 0$ for peering, and they can only do so because they're that big. Any ISP can make the same arrangement and likely pays nothing as well.

This just in, I'm receiving reports that, what's that, Tim? Ah, yes, it appears that Charter is full of shit. Back to you in the studio.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Fiber connection with speed up to 1Gbps

In some areas, the rest is either DOCSIS or even worse DSL.......

FCC has been so inflicted by regulatory capture that I wouldn't be surprised if Charter got exactly what their pushing for.

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

FCC has been so inflicted by regulatory capture that I wouldn't be surprised if Charter got exactly what their pushing for.

When the regulator acts in the best interests of the very industry it is meant to regulate, not the citizens it is meant to protect from that industry.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What a fucking load of bullshit. They just want to kill Netflix and Prime because no one gives a shit about cable TV any more.

Gotta love it when companies go full anti-free market because they just can't compete or keep up.

[Delete this, double post.]

Edited by Quinnell
double post

41 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

When the regulator acts in the best interests of the very industry it is meant to regulate, not the citizens it is meant to protect from that industry.

Pretty much what to expect from Ajit Pai

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Definitely been disappointed in him ever since he got appointed.  

Just now, Quinnell said:

Definitely been disappointed in him ever since he got appointed.  Bad move.  Bad choice.  

Anyone else Mitch McConnell would have appointed would have been the same bullshit

12 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What a fucking load of bullshit. They just want to kill Netflix and Prime because no one gives a shit about cable TV any more.

I think Amazon has enough power to tell the Telecoms to F off. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think Amazon has enough power to tell the Telecoms to F off. 

That in itself concerns me.  So many companies are growing too big, too powerful.  And ths US government no longer breaks them up like they did with Bell many years ago.  I am guessing these companies pay so much to lobby and buy out the people who are supposed to regulate them.  

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think Amazon has enough power MONEYto tell the Telecoms to F off. 

Amazon can't do anything if the ISPs don't peer to them and/or block them from peering in the first place. The ISPs hold the ultimate power to allow Amazon to reach the end consumer and they know it.

Edit:

Amazon also has a BGP ASN and any ISP could just filter that ASN and the routes from their network too, attempting to block the traffic that way although it's more risky because then you risk blocking routes you might want from the same ASN but if the ISPs get tired enough they could just say screw it and blackhole all routes to/from Amazon.

Edit 2: but of course no ISP would do that because they killed NN and NN was going to be the downfall that lead to that scenario right?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

Since the Pandemic began my usage has been around 500GB/mo, and I swear that is the damn PSO2 updater, but that's only been on the PC since May.

Anyway, technically the plan I have is the 300GB plan for $75/mo with the 15$ unmetered add-on which I added after I left the PC on streaming one day and burned clear through the bandwidth cap. It's this kind of BS that ISP's secretly hope to bill you for, but the billing arguments they have to fight actually cost them more than than the 10000% markup on bandwidth.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/15/crtc-wholesale-rates-wholesale-access-internet-network/

See that, it costs CABLE carriers less than 16 cents per channel to use. So if you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in a 24x8 configuration it costs them $3.65 for the downlink and $1.22 for the uplink. So really it costs the ISP less than $5.00/mo to service your home with the maximum configuration, and this is how much they should be charging wholesalers, yet the the document linked later shows they charge between $11 and $20/mo.

Holy crap, i missed the part about the "Home" internet lol. I thought this was cellphone data plan.

19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Key word there. CLAIMS. I won't believe it till I see it. 

Starlink is as different from traditional satellite internet as traditional satellite is from 5G or landlines. Obviously being skeptical is still a good idea since who knows if they'll hit their goals or not, but on a technological level it's a completely new type of internet and functions totally differently from a GEO based satellite service.

Even if they hit under their goals, if they can price it competitively it has massive potential to shake up the market just because it bypasses all of the oligarchic BS that ISPs have been pushing for the last couple decades. 

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

He's definitely a strong candidate for "World's Most Punchable Face."

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Amazon can't do anything if the ISPs don't peer to them and/or block them from peering in the first place. The ISPs hold the ultimate power to allow Amazon to reach the end consumer and they know it.

Money is power. With the amount Amazon/Bezos brings in. Hell Amazon could probably buy an ISP if they wanted. Im honestly surprised they haven't. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Money is power. With the amount Amazon/Bezos brings in. Hell Amazon could probably buy an ISP if they wanted. Im honestly surprised they haven't. 

Plz no.  They're in too many markets as is.

5 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

Plz no.  They're in too many markets as is.

They cant be any worse than any of the other ISP's in the US. 

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

In some areas, the rest is either DOCSIS or even worse DSL.......

here in italy at worst you get ADSL, which let's you still reach 100mbps

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

here in italy at worst you get ADSL, which let's you still reach 100mbps

According to the WiKi page ADSL has a max speed of 24 Mbps and that being ADSL2+ standard. VDSL I know can reason 100 Mbps,

Version Standard name Common name Downstream rate Upstream rate Approved in
ADSL ANSI T1.413-1998 Issue 2 ADSL 8.0 Mbit/s 1.0 Mbit/s 1998
ITU G.992.2 ADSL Lite (G.lite) 1.5 Mbit/s 0.5 Mbit/s 1999-07
ITU G.992.1 ADSL (G.dmt) 8.0 Mbit/s 1.3 Mbit/s 1999-07
ITU G.992.1 Annex A ADSL over POTS 12.0 Mbit/s 1.3 Mbit/s 2001
ITU G.992.1 Annex B ADSL over ISDN 12.0 Mbit/s 1.8 Mbit/s 2005
ADSL2 ITU G.992.3 Annex L RE-ADSL2 5.0 Mbit/s 0.8 Mbit/s 2002-07
ITU G.992.3 ADSL2 12.0 Mbit/s 1.3 Mbit/s 2002-07
ITU G.992.3 Annex J ADSL2 12.0 Mbit/s 3.5 Mbit/s 2002-07
ITU G.992.4 Splitterless ADSL2 1.5 Mbit/s 0.5 Mbit/s 2002-07
ADSL2+ ITU G.992.5 ADSL2+ 24.0 Mbit/s 1.4 Mbit/s 2003-05
ITU G.992.5 Annex M ADSL2+M 24.0 Mbit/s 3.3 Mbit/s 2008