Used Herman Miller [UK]

SHiFT

I was recommended to consider Herman Miller chairs around the £400 mark.

Where could I get one 2nd hand that is REAL and not a fake, rebrand or a flat out scam.

I seen this site called 2ndhnd, they seem to have this one -> https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-triflex-office-designer-chair-dark-with-grey-seat?variant=8949348483&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb971xt2eqPsk6VF1TLoNmQsE94CGyzzgcFSkRpMBVhs53P-tY-MmQmIaAqtaEALw_wcB&fbclid=IwAR3NefqYVgY2a6Zptmb7QLs3IWZLd7qwhCOoL2B7qD3JucVOOTNh1kwsG54

Is this legit - anything to watch out for?

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

32 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

I was recommended to consider Herman Miller chairs around the £400 mark.

Where could I get one 2nd hand that is REAL and not a fake, rebrand or a flat out scam.

I seen this site called 2ndhnd, they seem to have this one -> https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-triflex-office-designer-chair-dark-with-grey-seat?variant=8949348483&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb971xt2eqPsk6VF1TLoNmQsE94CGyzzgcFSkRpMBVhs53P-tY-MmQmIaAqtaEALw_wcB&fbclid=IwAR3NefqYVgY2a6Zptmb7QLs3IWZLd7qwhCOoL2B7qD3JucVOOTNh1kwsG54

Is this legit - anything to watch out for?

It's legit, it's just office seconds, they wholesale these all the time.

As far as something to watch out for: the Mirra is a hardback chair. While it's possible the fitment is perfect for you and you'll love it, I'd recommend the Aeron instead. The back and seat are more forgiving and will accept a wider variety of body shapes. It's about L50 extra but absolutely worth it, even if it takes a few more weeks to save for. Buy a good unit once and it'll last you at least 2 PC upgrades' worth of time.

9 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

It's legit, it's just office seconds, they wholesale these all the time.

As far as something to watch out for: the Mirra is a hardback chair. While it's possible the fitment is perfect for you and you'll love it, I'd recommend the Aeron instead. The back and seat are more forgiving and will accept a wider variety of body shapes. It's about L50 extra but absolutely worth it, even if it takes a few more weeks to save for. Buy a good unit once and it'll last you at least 2 PC upgrades' worth of time.

I see. Would you recommend to buy something like that over a nice noble chair unit? Can you recommend other places where I'd be able to look without any risk?

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

18 hours ago, SHiFT said:

I see. Would you recommend to buy something like that over a nice noble chair unit? Can you recommend other places where I'd be able to look without any risk?

Absolutely. Noble, secretlab, and the rest of the "gamer" chair companies are relatively new to the market and still clinging to the idea that somehow bolting wheels onto a Recaro makes it great for office work.

HM has been in the office designing ergonomically sound chairs for a long time. Their products are pricey but they know what they're doing. 

I don't know what is available in your immediate vicinity but if you do a cursory search for "used office furniture distributor", you should get several hits.

6 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Absolutely. Noble, secretlab, and the rest of the "gamer" chair companies are relatively new to the market and still clinging to the idea that somehow bolting wheels onto a Recaro makes it great for office work.

HM has been in the office designing ergonomically sound chairs for a long time. Their products are pricey but they know what they're doing. 

I don't know what is available in your immediate vicinity but if you do a cursory search for "used office furniture distributor", you should get several hits.

I see - not sure how I feel about buying a used office chair, seems a bit.. strange. And over £1000 for a chair is a LOT more than £350 on the high ends.

20 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

I see - not sure how I feel about buying a used office chair, seems a bit.. strange. And over £1000 for a chair is a LOT more than £350 on the high ends.

I bought used HM chair 12 years ago and it still works and looks great, it's worth every cent imo and I am a wheelchair user that has to transfer himself from the wheelchair to use the chair and I do that because it's more comfortable than my 15k custom made wheelchair.

Edited by nox_

11 hours ago, SHiFT said:

As nox stated above, it may be more helpful in this case to not think of the chair as your standard, run-of-the-mill desk chair that most people are used to buying.

These chairs are expensive, built to last, and built to be sat in for MANY hours of the day. As a durable good, they hold their value better than many other office items. Hence the entire business of office seconds distributors, who are in business to try and capture some of that value that these items hold.

A better analogy may be something like a used car. (I know cars are more expensive, it's just an apt analogy.)

The car and chair both went for a high price when new. Some business has had this chair sitting in a conference room in an office park somewhere for a few years where it got used during meetings. When that business closes, or decides to relocate, they're not going to deal with the hassle of transporting all their furniture to the new spot. It's much cheaper for them to get a contract for delivery of entirely new items.

So a seconds distrubutor will come in, buy the furniture from the business, pull it out and warehouse it, and then sell it to people like you who want a quality item without the expense of having to buy factory new.