Cherry mx like mechanical keyboard?

Ninjas_amaL

Hi, could someone suggest me a good mechanical keyboard with cherry mx like keys under 3000 INR ?

You're not going to be able to find many mechanical keyboards from the big brands, but you should be able to find Chinese clones of Cherry MX keyboards. Kailh's switches are are now well known as being a great budget brand, even if their dependability isn't as great as their German counterparts. You can see the LTT video from a few years ago here.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

27 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

even if their dependability isn't as great as their German counterparts.

Source?

Just now, gloop said:

Source?

Personal experience: swapped out a true Cherry switch keyboard with Kailh switches, and within a month, three switches were dead. Admittedly, my unit was probably a lemon, but experience is experience.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Just now, kimsejin5 said:

Personal experience: swapped out a true Cherry switch keyboard with Kailh switches, and within a month, three switches were dead. Admittedly, my unit was probably a lemon, but experience is experience.

Which specific switches? IIRC the Box Style Switches have higher lifetime presses than their cherry counterparts. 

1 hour ago, gloop said:

Which specific switches? IIRC the Box Style Switches have higher lifetime presses than their cherry counterparts. 

I think the only reason that could have this is just better production, I think the dying of switches could also be attributed to the pcb itself if it wasn't designed to have work done to it/poor soldering job. Box switches (and most non cherry switches) have longer lifetimes because cherry slacked and let the rest of the industry pass them in quality and duration.

Do you guys have any suggestions ? I know I won't be getting anything good like Cherry MX but a good one probably close to it ?

On 8/11/2020 at 11:40 PM, Ninjas_amaL said:

Do you guys have any suggestions ? I know I won't be getting anything good like Cherry MX but a good one probably close to it ?

sorry man idk of anything good for that low of a price? 40 USD if google is right

On 8/12/2020 at 6:40 AM, Ninjas_amaL said:

good like Cherry MX

Probably the opposite. Cherry MX switches have gone from the top to the bottom in terms of goodness. 

I use this one, its above your budget but its the cheapest you can get without going into membrane imitation territory. I dont know what the market is like in india though, so there might exist cheaper stuff. I like it a lot, I used pretty much all membrane stuff before so when I got it the clicks felt heavenly, still feels really good to type on. Its very similar to the MX Blue stuff Ive tried before in retail stores and at my friend's house when I visited them down south.

Here is a link to it on amazon india:

https://www.amazon.in/EagleTec-Industrial-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B015MPQQ0A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1033O819Y1VBR&dchild=1&keywords=eagletec+kg011&qid=1597662384&sprefix=eagletec+%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

Edit: Holy crap I just converted how much its priced on amazon india to my native currency, thats way overpriced, dont buy that. Oops.

It was more like 3000 INR when i convert it to rupees for me.

Edited by seapriestess

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

8 hours ago, gloop said:

Probably the opposite. Cherry MX switches have gone from the top to the bottom in terms of goodness. 

Alps SKCM/SKCL, introduced in 1983: Am I a joke to you?

:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 4:39 PM, seapriestess said:

I use this one, its above your budget but its the cheapest you can get without going into membrane imitation territory. I dont know what the market is like in india though, so there might exist cheaper stuff. I like it a lot, I used pretty much all membrane stuff before so when I got it the clicks felt heavenly, still feels really good to type on. Its very similar to the MX Blue stuff Ive tried before in retail stores and at my friend's house when I visited them down south.

Here is a link to it on amazon india:

https://www.amazon.in/EagleTec-Industrial-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B015MPQQ0A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1033O819Y1VBR&dchild=1&keywords=eagletec+kg011&qid=1597662384&sprefix=eagletec+%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

Edit: Holy crap I just converted how much its priced on amazon india to my native currency, thats way overpriced, dont buy that. Oops.

It was more like 3000 INR when i convert it to rupees for me.

Yes 🤣 I also thought that wasn't reasonable.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, seapriestess said:

This seems good. Thank you