alternative to pihole?

Sooooo, maybe a bit of a controversial topic I guess. But I'm simply looking for something that will actually work to block YT ads on phone.

Pihole works very well to block ads on sites and make them load faster, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I use it since there's so much crap on websites that it becomes annoying to even do something as simple as read an article about something. One thing pihole doesn't seem to do (anymore(?)) is block YT ads. And yeah, I know, support creators and all, but I honestly don't know what people complain about there not being enough ads on YT anymore or something because I get double 15 - 20 second ads that I can't skip while watching a vid. So I have to sit through one and then immediately sit through another one, with another ad or 2 in between the video. Maybe I just don't have a good list for my pihole, but I can't find one that works, and I think it has to do with Google having moved the ads to the same servers as where the videos are served from? Not sure how true this is but I wouldn't put it passed them.

What I was thinking was: Is there a sort of adblocker that you can install on a raspberry pi that will actually take out the ads from the side before it serves it to you just like an adblock extension does?
Because that would probably be ideal if that could be set up.

Again, maybe a bit of a controversial topic, go and hate me all you want but YT is just going crazy at this point with its ads. At least that's my experience.

If only fully featured Windows tablets were still a thing amirite XD

Also if this post gets deleted or something then it's obvious why mods are like nah fam we ain't puttin' this on here XD

But if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. ❤️

If you're on PC you could also just install a normal adblocker into your browser.

1 minute ago, startrek03 said:

If you're on PC you could also just install a normal adblocker into your browser.

Well duh, but that won't work for phones now will it XD

7 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

to be honest with you.. (and while going slightly off topic..) they're coming back in very specific market segments.

1 minute ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Well duh, but that won't work for phones now will it XD

Brave is a browser with a built in adblocker that works on phones.

Just now, Darpyface said:

Brave is a browser with a built in adblocker that works on phones.

I thought phone browsers didn't have built-in adblock lol
But I'd like it to work for the youtube app cuz the youtube mobile site is kinda annoying and slow not gonna lie

51 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

I thought phone browsers didn't have built-in adblock lol
But I'd like it to work for the youtube app cuz the youtube mobile site is kinda annoying and slow not gonna lie

Brave does, you can watch youtube through the website, but it might not work as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 6:17 PM, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Sooooo, maybe a bit of a controversial topic I guess. But I'm simply looking for something that will actually work to block YT ads on phone.

Pihole works very well to block ads on sites and make them load faster, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I use it since there's so much crap on websites that it becomes annoying to even do something as simple as read an article about something. One thing pihole doesn't seem to do (anymore(?)) is block YT ads. And yeah, I know, support creators and all, but I honestly don't know what people complain about there not being enough ads on YT anymore or something because I get double 15 - 20 second ads that I can't skip while watching a vid. So I have to sit through one and then immediately sit through another one, with another ad or 2 in between the video. Maybe I just don't have a good list for my pihole, but I can't find one that works, and I think it has to do with Google having moved the ads to the same servers as where the videos are served from? Not sure how true this is but I wouldn't put it passed them.

What I was thinking was: Is there a sort of adblocker that you can install on a raspberry pi that will actually take out the ads from the side before it serves it to you just like an adblock extension does?
Because that would probably be ideal if that could be set up.

Again, maybe a bit of a controversial topic, go and hate me all you want but YT is just going crazy at this point with its ads. At least that's my experience.

Also if this post gets deleted or something then it's obvious why mods are like nah fam we ain't puttin' this on here XD

But if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. ❤️

I believe you have two options:

1) Use a browser with adblock on Android, i use Firefox with ublock origin extension and it works well.

2) Configure a private DNS on Android that blocks ads, such as Adguard: https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Specifically for youtube, option 1) is the only i know that blocks 100% of ads.

JP

On 8/26/2020 at 10:17 PM, JP! said:

I believe you have two options:

1) Use a browser with adblock on Android, i use Firefox with ublock origin extension and it works well.

2) Configure a private DNS on Android that blocks ads, such as Adguard: https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Specifically for youtube, option 1) is the only i know that blocks 100% of ads.

JP

Wait since when are the android browsers with extension support?

You could try Opera (if you are ok with their Business practices). It has a built in ad blocker 

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

On 8/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Wait since when are the android browsers with extension support?

Not all extensions are supported, for instance chrome android doesn't support adblock extensions (and soon so will desktop), but Firefox supports them for a few years.

JP

Edit: FF since about 2016: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/04/29/webextensions-in-firefox-48/

On 8/30/2020 at 7:53 PM, JP! said:

Not all extensions are supported, for instance chrome android doesn't support adblock extensions (and soon so will desktop), but Firefox supports them for a few years.

JP

Edit: FF since about 2016: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/04/29/webextensions-in-firefox-48/

Yeah i know that chrome for android doesn't support extensions, which is why i thought pretty much no android browser supports them. It does indeed seem that Firefox offers limited extensions but it's nice to se they at least support it. Phones are fast enough and have enough RAM nowadays to support extensions IMO.

Maybe Edge for android will someday support extensions too.

It's a good workaround but still annoying that it's not a solution when you wanna use the YouTube app. The mobile YT website is kinda slow tbh