Modem/Router Combo?

EchoBlue

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a modem/router combo device. What do you call this by its proper name?

If anyone know of that is good please share it with me please.

Thank you

5 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

What do you call this by its proper name?

Internet Gateway. 

5 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

f anyone know of that is good please share it with me please.

They all are mostly garbage. Also you need to provide us with what kind of Internet you have. DSL modems dont work on Coax and Coax modems dont work for DSL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Internet Gateway are garbage?! 

Why is that?? 

Because you have a modem and router in one box. Routers are multi function networking devices in their own right. Also, you cant generally upgrade the software on gateways, as only the ISP can issue updates for modems on their network. 

In most generally terms AIO devices dont do things well. They tend to have crappy WiFi or the router half is completely crappy. Separate devices are generally always better. Modems tend to last forever, while router wise, you might want to upgrade every few years. Ive been rocking the same cable modem for over 5 years and have updated the router at least twice. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Because you have a modem and router in one box. Routers are multi function networking devices in their own right. Also, you cant generally upgrade the software on gateways, as only the ISP can issue updates for modems on their network. 

In most generally terms AIO devices dont do things well. They tend to have crappy WiFi or the router half is completely crappy. Separate devices are generally always better. Modems tend to last forever, while router wise, you might want to upgrade every few years. Ive been rocking the same cable modem for over 5 years and have updated the router at least twice. 

Do you sell the router or throw it out? 

11 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Do you sell the router or throw it out? 

Throw it out, because I tend to use it till I cant any more. The only reason I replaced my last one was due to WPA2 being cracked. I wasn't sure when DDWRT was going to update to fix the issue, as I had 3rd party firmware installed on it, also it started having radio issues where the WIFi would die randomly. 

1 hour ago, EchoBlue said:

What should you look for in a modem??

What kind of internet? That’s what we need to know.