Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hotseff

How to create a Windows 10 USB System backup that you can restore to?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Currently due to some signs that my boot drive is dying even though it's only been a little over a year since I purchased it, I'm trying to create a system restore point on an external HDD so that once I get a new Boot Drive I can easily get my system back up and running with everything where I had it by having windows restore to that point. So I was wondering how I could do that, I've already had windows create a system image but I don't know if I can restore to that so would that work or is there something else I have to do to be able to migrate to the new boot drive with no issues?

Can you use mirroring software to just image the external HDD with exactly the same image as the HDD that's about to fail?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Generic mouse, 37" 1080p TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Keep in mind I've only done this once and it's generally a waste of time...

Go to : Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Create System Image

"On a Hard Disk"

Make sure the external drive is actually big enough (eg bigger than the system drive), because it will back up everything on the drive, but only the main drive. File History and System Restore will NOT save you if you have to restore to a new drive.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Can you use mirroring software to just image the external HDD with exactly the same image as the HDD that's about to fail?

I was thinking about that but I don't know if Windows Boot Manager would be cloned as well which would be needed if I wanted a smooth transition to the new SSD once I can order that.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Keep in mind I've only done this once and it's generally a waste of time...

Go to : Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Create System Image

"On a Hard Disk"

Make sure the external drive is actually big enough (eg bigger than the system drive), because it will back up everything on the drive, but only the main drive. File History and System Restore will NOT save you if you have to restore to a new drive.

I've already created a System Image of my C Drive but thank you for letting me know that File History and System Restore won't work if I want to move over to a new boot drive