GHz VS Cores Vs Threads

I was wandering if GHz, cores, or threads are best. Other articles don't cover it well and i wanted to see a answer from enthusiasts. By the way I was wandering which was best for gaming not rendering, video editing, etc.

10 hours ago, Reaper814 said:

are best

what do you mean? these aren't things that you can compare. 

clock speeds and core count and thread count aren't the same thing (unless the cpu does not support SMT/HT then the threads and cores are basically the same thing).

also there's more to a cpu than thread and core count and clock speeds. 

there's the fpu, cache layout, ipc, imc etc.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

what do you mean? these aren't things that you can compare. 

clock speeds and core count and thread count aren't the same thing (unless the cpu does not support SMT/HT then the threads and cores are basically the same thing).

also there's more to a cpu than thread and core count and clock speeds. 

there's the fpu, cache layout, ipc, imc etc.

If you could have more cores, threads, or faster clock speeds which would get you higher performance in games

Threads:

Spoiler

CPU Clock speed:

Spoiler

CPU Cores:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Reaper814 said:

If you could have more cores, threads, or faster clock speeds which would get you higher performance in games

i would look at benchmarks online for the games i play and pick based on that

because each game run differently on each CPU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Reaper814 said:

thats not entirely true though, as @TofuHaroto said, there's more than just these 3 factors.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Balance is what matters. Some games can use a ton of cores, some games only a few, also clock speed is only half the story for single threaded performance. A really old processor at high clocks will lose out to a new processor at moderate clocks. That's where "instructions per clock" comes in. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, Reaper814 said:

which would get you higher performance in games

these are completly different things.

unless:

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

(unless the cpu does not support SMT/HT then the threads and cores are basically the same thing).

^. 

it's not that simple, there's the cache layout, ipc, fpu, imc. it's not that simple lol.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: