Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
y3llowduk

Swap to LibreOffice for collaborative spreadsheets?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all, I'm looking at switching to LibreOffice as I want to be able to have collaborative spreadsheets without having to subscribe to 365 or use a cloud service as I have a home NAS. I'm currently using office 2019 with .xlsx

Are there any alternative solutions to collaborating without having to switch to LibreOffice? Just worried I might run into issues converting all my sheets to .ods

Tia, Duck

Google Docs seems like the obvious choice to me? Why not consider that?

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Google Docs seems like the obvious choice to me? Why not consider that?

Oh can you edit local documents with google docs?

2 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

No, it's a cloud based solution. Documents are saved to google cloud and allow multiple people to edit them at the same time. 

You do have export option to export to PDF, XLS, etc. when it comes time and you need a local copy to email or whatever.

14 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

collaborative spreadsheets without having to subscribe to 365 or use a cloud service

The cloud service part is what allows collaborative spreadsheets to work, so unless you can find some open source platform to run on your own server you'll have to go with a commercial offering.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Sort of, you can download documents and use Sheets or Docs offline. Tbh I think it's your best bet, or at least worth a shot.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

No, it's a cloud based solution. Documents are saved to google cloud and allow multiple people to edit them at the same time. 

You do have export option to export to PDF, XLS, etc. when it comes time and you need a local copy to email or whatever.

As I said, I don't want to use a cloud solution. I want to use my NAS... I don't want some of my stuff on my NAS and some of it on a google drive. Becomes hard to keep track of stuff.

Sad times :( I may give LibreOffice a go for a few months and see if my sheets behave themselves as .ods. Just wish there was a more mainstream solution to this without being dependent on a cloud service.

1 minute ago, y3llowduk said:

Sad times :( I may give LibreOffice a go for a few months and see if my sheets behave themselves as .ods. Just wish there was a more mainstream solution to this without being dependent on a cloud service.

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting out of LibreOffice: 

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Collaborative_Editing#Are_we_there_yet.3F_Is_it_Ready_Yet.3F

LibreOffice will not allow for any collaborative editing, it's strictly the old local file based model where only one person has it open at a time. 

They seem to have a webapp version though, basically one of those "cloud" solutions but that you can host yourself: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice_Online

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting out of LibreOffice: 

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Collaborative_Editing#Are_we_there_yet.3F_Is_it_Ready_Yet.3F

Collaboration does seem to work OK, I've got it working on LibreOffice. Just a bit less streamlined than google docs and 365 etc. Just the whole converting all my stuff to .ods and making the official switch-over which has me worried. Hence why I wanted to know if there was a way without using LibreOffice; using regular .xlsx file type.

5 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Collaboration does seem to work OK, I've got it working on LibreOffice. Just a bit less streamlined than google docs and 365 etc. Just the whole converting all my stuff to .ods and making the official switch-over which has me worried. Hence why I wanted to know if there was a way without using LibreOffice; using regular .xlsx file type.

Just use the .xlsx format? I use LibreOffice for work and save everything as Microsoft Office Friendly formats without issue, I don't really use the OpenOffice Formats.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Just use the .xlsx format? I use LibreOffice for work and save everything as Microsoft Office Friendly formats without issue, I don't really use the OpenOffice Formats.

I was going to say. I thought microsoft integrated Open standards (for spreadsheets) for a long time now. 

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

The collaboration feature only works on .ods :(