A criticism of the forum

piratemonkey

I want to preface this with saying, I really like these forums. They're filled with great people, but I feel like there are some annoyances with moderation and rules. 

The two biggest in my opinion are threads being locked because it could've been a status update. The other is being forced to use an older thread, possibly lost to it being buried, for a question related to it. 

For the status update one, it could prevent some very awesome or productive conversations on a topic because it's in a section that only seasoned users look at. And even then, it could be buried by people posting memes or other sh*tpost type content. An argument against people being allowed to have regulars threads is that it leads to burying or a sort of spam. While it's a problem that could happen, so is general discussion being filled with merged or moved to another sub or threads locked for being status update material notices. It wouldn't be that much different. And if it would be a problem, why aren't threads deleted for status update material now?

For the old thread criticism, it's possible that the question may never be answered because of the limitation. I saw once that a mod asked if it was related to a previous thread. That is pants on head ridiculous. Going back to general discussion being buried by moved notices, a question may never be answered cuz it's not in the first page. I doubt must people go to second page or back to check active threads. 

Again, I want to make clear that this isn't a criticism against specific mods (the one experience I had with one in my PM's was pleasant) but with moderation policy and rules. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

In an amusing turn of events I expect this thread will be locked because this was discussed last week and the moderators have acknowledged that it has sparked conversations with their own ranks and it already under review. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

In an amusing turn of events I expect this thread will be locked because this was discussed last week and the moderators have acknowledged that it has sparked conversations with their own ranks and it already under review. 

Welp. I don't know if I should chuckle or sigh

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

43 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Welp. I don't know if I should chuckle or sigh

How 'bout using search? Some 10 years ago using Google and other forms of search was the norm. Now it seems to be posting without even bothering to look first and then complaining when thread is merged or locked. This would be the problem of your second criticism. First was addressed by majority of the moderation in

(Don't know if this is as easy to find as ROG Rig Reboot thread)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i get that the rules must be strict to keep a decent forum, especially since general idiots, and trolls are often a big part of forum discussion.

i do remember unmoderated areas in forums are often where the best discussions are.. although these still needs to be moderated for racism, threats and other really harsh issues, but not for "title, delivery, update status and other elements" have yet to have a comment from a moderator on a post.

but i do see threads being locked, that i really don´t understand why.. yes i do get it when there is a 200 page thread on the same issue, even sometimes a sticky thread.. 

but yes i a moderator can dig up a thread that has been dead for 6 months and use that to lock a current thread, then i think it is wrong, especially also since the technology moves fast, so older threads might not have the solution..

but then again... it is not my forum, and there are plenty other forums, so i guess you just have to find the ones where you both like the discussions and also the moderation... i feel like everytime you try to improve something, people build heavy processes, and rule threads around it, so i gets so much worse.

ID verified forums, seems to work much better, since people have their own name in the forum.. so behave a bit more like you do in real life.

16 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

but yes i a moderator can dig up a thread that has been dead for 6 months and use that to lock a current thread, then i think it is wrong, especially also since the technology moves fast, so older threads might not have the solution..

Can you provide example of this? Most of the threads locked because older exists are re-iterations of some megathread. Show off, latest purchases, tech mistakes, rog rig reboot, video suggestions. To name a few.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

this again?

D47GZ7tU4AAf4yI.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

ID verified forums, seems to work much better, since people have their own name in the forum.. so behave a bit more like you do in real life.

That's a horrible idea, for many different reasons. Unless you want someone trying to ruin your life because you disagreed on which cpu OP should buy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

The two biggest in my opinion are threads being locked because it could've been a status update.

The other is being forced to use an older thread, possibly lost to it being buried, for a question related to it.

As @LogicalDrm mentioned, we just had a thread about this, but let me explain anyway ; if it's a thread that's just "hey, look at this", then it should be a status update, OR it should be in one the existing threads that relates to that subject!

Like here for a song or music video, here for just discussing with others, here to show a purchase you made, here to show your build, here to show old parts or computers, here for the ROG rig reboot, here to discuss about cars, here for memes, here for the LGBTQ discussion, here ... and here for posting and discussing GPU benches ... I think you get the point.

This forum is big, there are a LOT of threads about a LOT of things that already exist, getting to KNOW the forum is something a new member should do, being corrected and pointed to one of those existing mega-threads is normal and shouldn't be seen as a punishment (though, if someone continuously dump threads anywhere or don't listen to staff instruction, punishment may be something we have to do).

For the status update one, it could prevent some very awesome or productive conversations on a topic because it's in a section that only seasoned users look at. And even then, it could be buried by people posting memes or other sh*tpost type content. An argument against people being allowed to have regulars threads is that it leads to burying or a sort of spam. While it's a problem that could happen, so is general discussion being filled with merged or moved to another sub or threads locked for being status update material notices. It wouldn't be that much different. And if it would be a problem, why aren't threads deleted for status update material now?

There's a lot to unpack here, but as mentioned above, if we lock and tell the member to use status updates, it's because the thread doesn't present any discussions. If you've seen threads locked that you think should've been left open, then use the report button. Also, I would love to see exemples, people keep saying there are LOTS of threads that get locked that should be left open, but I've yet to see one exemple.

"it could prevent some very awesome or productive conversations on a topic because it's in a section that only seasoned users look at"

No, if you want to have a discussion about GPUs, then it has to be posted in that section. The General section applies to thread that don't fit in one section, but is still related to tech.

Not sure what you're talking about in the middle part there ...

"<...>why aren't threads deleted for status update material now?"

Transparency, we lock and leave a message explaining why. Being now locked, this thread is going to slide down rapidly and won't be an issue very long. Though it could be moved to the Test post section, like that the OP still knows why it's being locked but won't show in the section it was previously.

For the old thread criticism, it's possible that the question may never be answered because of the limitation. I saw once that a mod asked if it was related to a previous thread. That is pants on head ridiculous.

Not sure what you mean here?

People should post their own threads and shouldn't revive old threads, there's even a warning on threads that are old ;

image.png.4b8e62df133099912e10bc1882d9344c.png

Going back to general discussion being buried by moved notices, a question may never be answered cuz it's not in the first page. I doubt must people go to second page or back to check active threads. 

That problem is related to "thread dumping" and is addressed in the forum rules, 'thread dumping' isn't allowed and is a punishable offence, when moved, a link is left to point to the new thread location. This is because most of the violation is done by new users that can easily get lost and won't know to check their profile to find their own threads. Also, there's very little chances your thread should be in the General section, before posting, a search should be done and looking at other sections to make sure it's posted in the appropriate section should also be done, but, from experience, very little people do that ... we still have members that have been here for years, with thousands of posts counts, dump threads in the General section ... so yeah.

With that said, IMO, this isn't a moderation issue as much as it's a problem about people not caring much and posting in the first section they see. I get it's frustrating, but that's an issue people have to cope with, including moderators (it's just a unpleasant for us to move 10-12 threads at a time because people don't scroll past the General or Off-topic section).

If we don't moderate, the forum will not be fun for most, just look at the General section first page, those moved threads is like an iceberg in the ocean ; you're only seeing 10% of what's being done by the mod team, wanting relaxed moderation might not be what you actually want.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 8/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's a horrible idea, for many different reasons. Unless you want someone trying to ruin your life because you disagreed on which cpu OP should buy.

there is a BIG difference between public name forums, or ID verified forums.. 

ID verified is just that your forum account is Proven by ID to be yours, we have i Denmark a NEMID (easyID) that digitally can do that, it does not type your name, but f.ex. if a forum owner ban´s you then you cannot get another verified account, since you´re ID is blacklisted, so closing accounts actually work..

and normally the trolls and jerks are very few, but very loud... 

and to be honest, real name forums works fine other places, and if you cannot stand by what you say, then just don´t say it... But okay for me this forum in general is also at some areas way beyond the society that i usually live in, when some threads are just about what guns people own..

but again an ID VERIFIED account, is not a "my full name account" it is just to ensure that people can´t keep creating accounts.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Cut/

Ot/ btw is there a way, in this forum to lock down posts without a mod intervention?

1 minute ago, Xvaster said:

Ot/ btw is there a way, in this forum to lock down posts without a mod intervention?

No. You probably mean old topics without replies in certain time. Thats made decision to leave those open. We will act if needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

there is a BIG difference between public name forums, or ID verified forums.. 

ID verified is just that your forum account is Proven by ID to be yours, we have i Denmark a NEMID (easyID) that digitally can do that, it does not type your name, but f.ex. if a forum owner ban´s you then you cannot get another verified account, since you´re ID is blacklisted, so closing accounts actually work..

and normally the trolls and jerks are very few, but very loud... 

and to be honest, real name forums works fine other places, and if you cannot stand by what you say, then just don´t say it... But okay for me this forum in general is also at some areas way beyond the society that i usually live in, when some threads are just about what guns people own..

but again an ID VERIFIED account, is not a "my full name account" it is just to ensure that people can´t keep creating accounts.

I don't think you seem to understand why this would be a terrible idea. It's not because it'd prevent bad behavior, which it most certainly wouldn't. 

It'd be a massive, MASSIVE problem if there was a security exploit on the forum that could yoink your ID, ESPECIALLY if it was like how companies like Blizzard like to handle it (which typically involves actual photos of a form of ID in the US). Every country handles IDs differently, not every country handles it like Denmark. 

LTT is a forum where many people just ask a question or two and then bounce. The people who stick around and post stupid shit are active here are tiny, tiny minorities in a sea of Google copy-paste questions.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

We should try reapplying the forum thermal paste or maybe undervolting it

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

We should try reapplying the forum thermal paste or maybe undervolting it

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Next up on Gamers Nexus:

LN2 Overclocking LTT Forum

Will 1.7 volts kill it?

Server is RIP

2 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

we have i Denmark a NEMID (easyID) that digitally can do that, it does not type your name, but f.ex. if a forum owner ban´s you then you cannot get another verified account, since you´re ID is blacklisted, so closing accounts actually work..

Fun fact, the world isn't Denmark.

We have no such system in Canada (or the US for that matter AFAIK, where the largest number of members are from).

It would need to be a copy of our driving license, health insurance card, passport or any other sort of gov issued ID with full name, picture, date of birth, address in some cases, etc.

Would you really trust some random forum to be handling such sensitive data when even the biggest companies gets hacked regularly? I think not.

It works for your country because you have a system in place for it. The rest of the world doesn't. Until it does, having verified ID to reduce the toxicity is a terrible idea.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro