Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aereldor

These temps okay?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Running an Alienware 13R3 with a 7700hq and a GTX 1060, after a lot of throttling woe I've managed to get the fucker to behave. 

 

My CPU runs 50-55 light use and my GPU runs 45-50 idle, with the fans completely off, ambient temperature of 31 (yeah it's hot here)

 

At full synthetic load with the fans maxed Ffurmark and Cinebench running concurrently, continuously for like 2 hours), it gets to 87 for the GPU and 92 for the CPU. 

 

No matter how cool it stays, the GPU won't boost beyond 1250 MHz, whether it's at 75 or 90. 

 

Is this even close to normal? It's what I've managed after de-warping my heatsink, repasting, and undervolting the CPU by -150mv. 


ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

could be driver issues, ddu to uninstall then reinstall from nvidia


r5 3600 4.175GHz@1.1875v | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz|Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Running an Alienware 13R3 with a 7700hq and a GTX 1060, after a lot of throttling woe I've managed to get the fucker to behave. 

 

My CPU runs 50-55 light use and my GPU runs 45-50 idle, with the fans completely off, ambient temperature of 31 (yeah it's hot here)

 

At full synthetic load with the fans maxed Ffurmark and Cinebench running concurrently, continuously for like 2 hours), it gets to 87 for the GPU and 92 for the CPU. 

 

No matter how cool it stays, the GPU won't boost beyond 1250 MHz, whether it's at 75 or 90. 

 

Is this even close to normal? It's what I've managed after de-warping my heatsink, repasting, and undervolting the CPU by -150mv. 

I used to have an throttling issue on my device and after repasting and changed the heatsink fans the cpu tops at 68 and still got something like thermal throttling but after looking at everything turned out the cpu was waiting for the RAM to finish because the game i was playing needed more than 8 GB of RAM, hope it will help check your RAM dims cause my other 8 GB that i thought was working was dead and i was running 8 instead of 16 :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, AshSenpai said:

I used to have an throttling issue on my device and after repasting and changed the heatsink fans the cpu tops at 68 and still got something like thermal throttling but after looking at everything turned out the cpu was waiting for the RAM to finish because the game i was playing needed more than 8 GB of RAM, hope it will help check your RAM dims cause my other 8 GB that i thought was working was dead and i was running 8 instead of 16 :P

Oh the CPU doesn't throttle, even after my -140 undervolt it does 3.4 on all cores. It just gets to around 92 degrees. It's definitely not a RAM issue, I'm running 2x8gb @ 2667 MHz. I'm trying DDU but I suspect this is just a limit Alienware baked into a BIOS update in response to all the people who had warped heatsinks and were experiencing thermal issues.


ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Oh the CPU doesn't throttle, even after my -140 undervolt it does 3.4 on all cores. It just gets to around 92 degrees. It's definitely not a RAM issue, I'm running 2x8gb @ 2667 MHz. I'm trying DDU but I suspect this is just a limit Alienware baked into a BIOS update in response to all the people who had warped heatsinks and were experiencing thermal issues.

oh i thought it did sometimes RAM issues behave like thermal throttling.

also these temps are normal for a laptop just make sure its well ventilated

Edited by AshSenpai
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, AshSenpai said:

oh i thought it did sometimes RAM issues behave like thermal throttling.

also these temps are normal for a laptop just make sure its well ventilated

Turns out I was wrong, that was just it running hot on synthetics. In-game, it actually boosted to 1848 MHz, 3.4 on the CPU all-core, low 80s throughout. Absolute banger.

 

Funny how much harder 100% use on synthetic benchmarks hits it compared to near-100% use in game.


ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×