I'm an alcoholic [Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade - Anthony]

Carathas
Go to solution Solved by Carathas,
On 8/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, GabenJr said:

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck in this. I know it's not really about luck, but sometimes when it comes to willpower and just being able to keep yourself sane, conditions have to be just right for you to keep from breaking. I've slipped countless times, and the best advice I can give you is to not give into the temptation to demonize yourself if you end up doing the same, because if you hate yourself, chances are you're not going to be motivated to help yourself, either.

If you're quitting both vices cold turkey, then I would advise that you accept that you can and very likely will struggle with your vices, and accept that you may end up cracking and taking a drink or having a smoke. Avoid it, but don't beat yourself up for it; Accept it as a bump in the road and move on. If you imagine you're a dog on a leash, rushing ahead is only going to choke you. You may be able to handle that (some people can), or you may not. With that in mind, sometimes in order to move forward, we need to take a step backward to give ourselves a little room to breathe.

While it's okay and even expected that you'll slip here and there, that's not to say that it's okay to consistently relapse. If you aren't making progress over long periods of time, then you need to re-evaluate what you're doing and adjust the plan accordingly. That's part of what I'm doing with my VR gaming setup (and the KitchenAid mixer, and so on). Accountability also helps - Now I've got the whole internet watching me for progress after announcing that that's my intent.

It's really amazing to see that I've managed to motivate you to this point, and again, I really hope it works out for you. I'll keep working at it if you will.

Hi Anthony! I'm glad you've seen this post. I never wanted to be a martyr for the cause of getting sober but honestly, you really did inspire me. I really appreciate all the advice you've offered me, and I'm glad that I've managed to show you how you can make a difference in someone's life. I know it won't be easy, every day I'm struggling to fight off the urge to go get a few beers and a pack of smokes. The primary reason I posted this here was to have a level that's accountable beyond my family. I'm still too embarrassed to approach them with this issue but I feel like the LTT family will keep me straight. I appreciate all your advice and It'll follow me every step of the way.

All I can say right now is this: I will continue to work on my issues as a habitual alcohol abuser to be better, and hopefully, indirectly, we can beat our vices together!

I don’t know how much I believe someone claiming to drink the equivalent of 11 cans of beer and 10 shots of whiskey every day. 

Regardless, if it is true, quitting cold turkey would be an absolutely moronic idea. Someone with that level of dependence would absolutely have seizures and probably die while going through withdrawal. Inpatient hospitalization/rehab with benzo treatment is the only option at that point.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck in this. I know it's not really about luck, but sometimes when it comes to willpower and just being able to keep yourself sane, conditions have to be just right for you to keep from breaking. I've slipped countless times, and the best advice I can give you is to not give into the temptation to demonize yourself if you end up doing the same, because if you hate yourself, chances are you're not going to be motivated to help yourself, either.

If you're quitting both vices cold turkey, then I would advise that you accept that you can and very likely will struggle with your vices, and accept that you may end up cracking and taking a drink or having a smoke. Avoid it, but don't beat yourself up for it; Accept it as a bump in the road and move on. If you imagine you're a dog on a leash, rushing ahead is only going to choke you. You may be able to handle that (some people can), or you may not. With that in mind, sometimes in order to move forward, we need to take a step backward to give ourselves a little room to breathe.

While it's okay and even expected that you'll slip here and there, that's not to say that it's okay to consistently relapse. If you aren't making progress over long periods of time, then you need to re-evaluate what you're doing and adjust the plan accordingly. That's part of what I'm doing with my VR gaming setup (and the KitchenAid mixer, and so on). Accountability also helps - Now I've got the whole internet watching me for progress after announcing that that's my intent.

It's really amazing to see that I've managed to motivate you to this point, and again, I really hope it works out for you. I'll keep working at it if you will.

Funny thing I'm in the same spot with my weight, I got VR to try and help. Then quarantine hit and me and my wife are working at home, and the VR computer is being used most of the day. That's not an excuse and I can find time, but it's certainly made it harder to do. Wait kitchen aid mixer,  did I miss something? or do you just mean you're cooking more?

I'l second your support to both of you, I'll keep working at it if you do!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Wait kitchen aid mixer,  did I miss something?

He has a Kitchen-aid mixer. You could actually see it within the video a couple of times.

Untitled.thumb.png.aeca278d79278d08d7540cbe415d29eb.png

5 hours ago, GabenJr said:

It’s a great point about slipping up. The most important thing about going to the gym for weight loss (which I recommend) is showing up and having a go. Everyone has bad days and good days, it’s all part of it. We’re all human. 

The most important part about weight loss is incorporating the small things. It’s ok to have a takeaway every now and then, but make small lifestyle adjustments that add up. More raw vegetables as snacks (carrots and light Mayo are my go too instead of chippies). A small walk in the park or biking to work can go a very long way if incorporated into your daily routine. 

I’m not telling you how to live your life, but 3 main things have contributed to my own weight loss:

1) signing up to a gym and going to it almost every day. The environment helps a lot. In my opinion fitness apps don’t do much. 
2) lots of raw vegetables. You can eat as much as you want (I’m also a compulsive eater, don’t care about taste - it’s a bit psychological problem for me, it is HARD)

3) acceptance everyone has bad days. Everyone from atheletes to a joe blog slips up. 

I just want to say that you are both incredibly brave for sharing this, and are on the right track. I've struggled with an addiction that was dangerous, and it was hard to recover. I'm not here to discuss health risks associated with going cold turkey or whatever, nor should you only take advice from people here. Do your research on what's safe and isn't, and risks. 

There will be days where you feel like shit. There will probably be times where you relapse. Don't beat yourself up over that. Take a breath, acknowledge it, move on. Know that if you're a year, month, week or day sober, it's an accomplishment. Know that when you resist an urge, it's an accomplishment. 

I suggest, at a minimum, to look into AA as someone else recommended. That could help a lot. You should also talk to your doctor too. That's pretty much a must. I also think you should look into therapy. Something like CBT could be really good. There's no shame in it. I also think you should have a confident or a good friend you can talk to. Some sort of hobby could also help. You should also find out if you have any triggers, and know how to avoid or deal with them. 

I know that this will be tough, but you can get through. 

You can also pm me if you need to chat privately or anything like that, there's no shame in it. 

(I know there's a lot short sentences and stuff like that, sorry)

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

On 8/11/2020 at 2:32 AM, Vitamanic said:

I don’t know how much I believe someone claiming to drink the equivalent of 11 cans of beer and 10 shots of whiskey every day. 

Regardless, if it is true, quitting cold turkey would be an absolutely moronic idea. Someone with that level of dependence would absolutely have seizures and probably die while going through withdrawal. Inpatient hospitalization/rehab with benzo treatment is the only option at that point.

I need to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Because of you, I went to a doctor today and spoke to them about my issues, honestly and totally. Thankfully (I guess) I'm not an alcoholic but I am a habitual alcohol abuser. If it wasn't for you, I'd have tried to go cold turkey and probably would've ended up in a very bad place. I totally understand that you wouldn't believe how bad my drinking had become but unfortunately it's true and to be honest, I may have downplayed my drinking to be less embarrassing. It's insidious. I creeps up on you and you dont even realise.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, GabenJr said:

Hi Anthony! I'm glad you've seen this post. I never wanted to be a martyr for the cause of getting sober but honestly, you really did inspire me. I really appreciate all the advice you've offered me, and I'm glad that I've managed to show you how you can make a difference in someone's life. I know it won't be easy, every day I'm struggling to fight off the urge to go get a few beers and a pack of smokes. The primary reason I posted this here was to have a level that's accountable beyond my family. I'm still too embarrassed to approach them with this issue but I feel like the LTT family will keep me straight. I appreciate all your advice and It'll follow me every step of the way.

All I can say right now is this: I will continue to work on my issues as a habitual alcohol abuser to be better, and hopefully, indirectly, we can beat our vices together!

1 hour ago, Carathas said:

I need to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Because of you, I went to a doctor today and spoke to them about my issues, honestly and totally. Thankfully (I guess) I'm not an alcoholic but I am a habitual alcohol abuser. If it wasn't for you, I'd have tried to go cold turkey and probably would've ended up in a very bad place. I totally understand that you wouldn't believe how bad my drinking had become but unfortunately it's true and to be honest, I may have downplayed my drinking to be less embarrassing. It's insidious. I creeps up on you and you dont even realise.

I’m glad you got help. Please be careful and make sure you go with a provider that uses medication. Some of the Christian places don’t and it can cause some really dangerous situations. The benzos prevent the seizures and sedate you so you can sleep through some of the withdrawal.

I really wish you good luck, please keep with it. It’s not an easy road to travel but it’s the only one with a happy ending.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 8/11/2020 at 12:34 AM, Dylanc1500 said:

He has a Kitchen-aid mixer. You could actually see it within the video a couple of times.

Untitled.thumb.png.aeca278d79278d08d7540cbe415d29eb.png

Ah didn't see that

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Ah didn't see that

there is also a instant pot

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

there is also a instant pot

instant pot is the best!

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

instant pot is the best!

pulled pork in a instant pot

so tender

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang