Need Advice

Hello!! I got a HP spectre 360 for Christmas, that has a  Nvidia PhysX  GeForce gtx 1650. Which is great for a non gaming laptop. However I bought my laptop because it was an Ultrabook that was capable of gaming. But for some reason im only getting 60 fps in valorant ( but I'm not sure if that's good or bad!! But it lags so badly)  Besides since I'm a student going off to college in the next year, I didn't think it was wise to buy a $1000 gaming pc. So i was considering buying a egpu, the only thing is im not sure which graphics card to buy!! I know I definitely can't buy a gpu over $200. and i thought about buying the same gpu just externally  but I worried that performance will be the same.

can you send the exact laptop 

Make sure all the NVIDIA drivers are up-to date using geforce expercicne. 

is gpu under load?

check afterburner / hwmonitor for usage and temps

Well, a desktop version should be better. Because of the nature of laptops, with everything crammed into a tiny chassis and running off a battery, thermals and power must be constrained. The mobile version of the GPU is underclocked and undervolted, compared to it's desktop brother. As such, it will definitely have more performance unconstrained, but whether it will be significant is a different story. Personally, I'd try for at least a 1660 super. That would give you a noticeable bump, and would actually enable 1080p on high or maybe even ultra at a solid 60+ FPS.

Bear in mind though, that as far as I'm aware, eGPU requires Thunderbolt. It maybe be possible over vanilla USB, now, but I haven't kept up with it enough to say for sure. Regardless, you should verify that it's actually supported. Just because you have a type C port, doesn't necessarily mean you can use an eGPU with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

12 minutes ago, Amiram12 said:

Hello!! I got a HP spectre 360 for Christmas, that has a  Nvidia PhysX  GeForce gtx 1650. Which is great for a non gaming laptop. However I bought my laptop because it was an Ultrabook that was capable of gaming. But for some reason im only getting 60 fps in valorant ( but I'm not sure if that's good or bad!! But it lags so badly)  Besides since I'm a student going off to college in the next year, I didn't think it was wise to buy a $1000 gaming pc. So i was considering buying a egpu, the only thing is im not sure which graphics card to buy!! I know I definitely can't buy a gpu over $200. and i thought about buying the same gpu just externally  but I worried that performance will be the same. (this is the model i have!!)

Screenshot 2020-08-10 10.58.56.png

4 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

is gpu under load?

im not sure!! i dont know where to check that!

3 minutes ago, Amiram12 said:

im not sure!! i dont know where to check that!

It was right there. Use afterburner or hwmonitor. They're both apps you'd have to download and install.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

19 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

is gpu under load?

Its not, i just downloaded hwmonitor and the temps were good, but right not im not playing anything, however i do know when i am playing games. My laptop is so hot that it starts to burn my legs !

24 minutes ago, Noob872 said:

can you send the exact laptop 

Make sure all the NVIDIA drivers are up-to date using geforce expercicne. 

yup just updated my drivers!! Also this is my laptop model, but im still not sure which gpu i should buy for my egpu!850033561_Screenshot2020-08-1010_58_56.thumb.png.18e4709015cb712224342208ac600396.png