Fan solution searching for a problem

rUnThEoN

So I salvaged some 120MM Fans from a older workstation/server and finally took my time to get them running on my testbench.

This fan does 5000 RPM @ 12V/3.3A (thats the reason for the molex connector) and feels like its lifting off if its by itself.

I have 2 of those and a different one with less RPM currently attached to my cpu cooler.

So any suggestions what to use these for? Currently im either thinking of either doing a airduct for the cpu cooler which just blasts the air for maximum air cooling (maybe I'll increase my OC with that) or trying to get a cheap watercooling and slap the fans onto that.

fan.jpg

Wow i can't imagine a fan like that being usable. These must be deafening. Is your PC in another room?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

that fan runs at 1500 rpm at Idle - basically the power is only needed if the PC heats up which currently only cpu benchmarks do.

It'd be interesting how a NH-U12A would perform with 2 of those. :D

Aircooling at it's limit.

But going for a cheap watercooling solution wouldn't make much sense because then the pump or a cheap coldplate is likely a big bottleneck. I can pretty much only think of a good CPU waterblock, a decent res-pump combo and a VERY thick 240mm rad.

No offense, but for anything other than that these fans seem useless for me. Maybe that's just my silent-focused thinking, as even noctua NF-F12's at 800RPM are too loud for me ;)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@kodan - thanks for your input, maybe I will do that later this year.

@Stahlmann - I currently have a Arctic A30 mounted on my ryzen 5 3600, would that qualify for max air cooling?

Also I think spending money on a watercooling defeats the purpose of having a bang4buck cpu since instead spending it on a bigger cpu gives more then ocing the small ones.