Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-ism

Next-gen games & NVME

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've been storing my games on a 7200rpm hard disk drive since 2010, and recently I've felt like SATA SSDs are just about cheap enough that it might be worth going full-SSD in my gaming rig. I'm aware the games don't make use of the faster load times you get with NVMe but I'm curious, will they eventually become a necessity? With the next-gen consoles having fast storage will developers be able to leverage this in any meaningful way? 

Ryzen 7 2700x / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI B450 Tomahawk / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW / 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3GHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / BenQ XL2540 / Zowie FK1+

Hmm... I don't think they would. This is because most game files are a type of compressed files where the CPU needs to unpacked them in RAM before it can process them. No matter how fast the drive may be, it is bottleneck by the decompression process of the CPU.

44 minutes ago, -ism said:

will they eventually become a necessity

in the near future, highly unlikely. Eventually, depends on if we have fast enough storage to do away with dedicated system memory, cause once that becomes a thing and affordable other storage tech is in trouble

47 minutes ago, -ism said:

With the next-gen consoles having fast storage will developers be able to leverage this in any meaningful way?

almost certainly

r5 3600 4.175GHz@1.1875v | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W