PC stays on with no RAM but turs off with RAM

musee

Hello to everyone. I'm having an issue with my old ASUS P8 Z77-VLK motherboard. I cleared its BIOS CMOS and now when I turn it on nothing shows up on the screen and then after 15 seconds it shuts down. I don't know if clearing the BIOS could have harmed the board, or if I'm having another issue. The thing is that when I remove all the RAM sticks it turns on, obviously nothing shows on the screen, but the PC doesn't turn off, and when I turn it off and put in the RAM (no matter if I just put one single stick or 2 or their position) I have the shutting down after 15 seconds problem. I just want to know if the problem is the RAM, an error I made when clearing the BIOS, the PSU, or anything else.

Here's my setup:

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX blu DDR3

CPU: i7 3770k

GPU: RTX 2060 Asus Turbo

PSU: Thermaltake 750W 80+ gold

Thanks to everyone, greetings from Cuba and sorry for the orthographic errors

1 hour ago, musee said:

Hello to everyone. I'm having an issue with my old ASUS P8 Z77-VLK motherboard. I cleared its BIOS CMOS and now when I turn it on nothing shows up on the screen and then after 15 seconds it shuts down. I don't know if clearing the BIOS could have harmed the board, or if I'm having another issue. The thing is that when I remove all the RAM sticks it turns on, obviously nothing shows on the screen, but the PC doesn't turn off, and when I turn it off and put in the RAM (no matter if I just put one single stick or 2 or their position) I have the shutting down after 15 seconds problem. I just want to know if the problem is the RAM, an error I made when clearing the BIOS, the PSU, or anything else.

Here's my setup:

Try plugging the display cable into the iGPU instead of the dGPU if your doing that do the opposite with the cable in the 2060 instead.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

6 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Try plugging the display cable into the iGPU instead of the dGPU if your doing that do the opposite with the cable in the 2060 instead.

Already tried that and keeps doing the same

2 minutes ago, musee said:

Already tried that and keeps doing the same

Ok did you add the 2060 after clearing the cmos?

Or did an OC not work or something?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

try only use 1 stick of ram and test whether the problem is from the ram stick or other

2 minutes ago, Nexolas said:

try only use 1 stick of ram and test whether the problem is from the ram stick or other

1 hour ago, musee said:

(no matter if I just put one single stick or 2 or their position

OP said he did so

Desktop :

Laptop :

1 hour ago, musee said:

Here's my setup:

If no signal even trying a single stick,... I'd suggest removing the cmos battery and clearing the bios the old fashioned way and retry to boot (with any of the single sticks, alternating if need be to boot)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Ok did you add the 2060 after clearing the cmos?

Or did an OC not work or something?

I made a clean windows 10 install and installed the drivers from a DriverPackSolution, and after restarting the PC I got an "USB Device Over Current Status Detected" error on the american megatrends screen and  it recognised 3 mice and 2 keyboards when I only had 1 mouse and 1 keyboard connected to the PC. I'm not sure if those are 100% official drivers so I thought that was the problem and decided to clear the CMOS

4 hours ago, musee said:

I made a clean windows 10 install and installed the drivers from a DriverPackSolution, and after restarting the PC I got an "USB Device Over Current Status Detected" error on the american megatrends screen and  it recognised 3 mice and 2 keyboards when I only had 1 mouse and 1 keyboard connected to the PC. I'm not sure if those are 100% official drivers so I thought that was the problem and decided to clear the CMOS

Ya don't use driver packs. It takes longer manually but its always better. Try booting into bios but remove the 2060 and the boot drive.

And follow this before trying my thing

Sorry for the late reply btw

7 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If no signal even trying a single stick,... I'd suggest removing the cmos battery and clearing the bios the old fashioned way and retry to boot (with any of the single sticks, alternating if need be to boot)

Desktop :

Laptop :

4 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Ya don't use driver packs. It takes longer manually but its always better. Try booting into bios but remove the 2060 and the boot drive.

And follow this before trying my thing

Sorry for the late reply btw

Don't worry, I really appreciate all the help.

Yesterday before going to bed I removed the battery and now I just woke up, took off the 2060 and all the HDDs, inserted the battery, put only one stick of ram and hit the power button and the same happened. It turns on, the DRAM LED blinks only once, the mouse and keyboard RGB lights up, and then it shuts down and stays off

13 hours ago, musee said:

Don't worry, I really appreciate all the help.

Yesterday before going to bed I removed the battery and now I just woke up, took off the 2060 and all the HDDs, inserted the battery, put only one stick of ram and hit the power button and the same happened. It turns on, the DRAM LED blinks only once, the mouse and keyboard RGB lights up, and then it shuts down and stays off

Can you unplug the motherboard power and cpu power and plug them back in. Also make sure the 8pin CPU power is fully plugged in.

Desktop :

Laptop :