Ethernet says connected but I don't have internet access

antonio_cast1
Go to solution Solved by billhelm,

Go to Control Panel>Network and internet>Network and sharing center>Change adapter settings(its on the side)

The right click on your adapter (so probably ethernet) then properties, then Internet protocol version 4.

On the popup window click Use the following ip adress, then also use the followind dns server

Enter an ip adress just pick somthing that would not be already taken, for example if devices have ips of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.12 the pick something like 192.168.1.20

Netmask should probably be 255.255.255.0

Gateway should be your router

And dns can be 1.1.1.1 and/or 8.8.8.8

after that click apply, and it should work

In my tray it has the ethernet connected icon and when I hover over it says "internet access"
This problem happened out of nowhere. I recently rebuilt this computer and the ethernet had been working perfectly fine since until last night.
I was setting up port forwarding for another minecraft server (I already had one set up and fully functional with no network problems) and all of a sudden everything stops loading.
I'm using an airi network extender from frontier and it's always worked fine. Anything I connect to it works fine except ethernet to my pc. I'm using a wifi adapter with it on my pc and it's working fine. I've tried restarting my router and pc multiple times, reinstalling my lan drivers, and flushing my dns as well as setting my dns to 8.8.8.8 but nothing's working : /

19 minutes ago, antonio_cast1 said:
In my tray it has the ethernet connected icon and when I hover over it says "internet access"

This is normal behavior, Internet Access means that Windows is able to get a response from http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. Otherwise, it will display No Internet Access. What exactly is occurring when you attempt to visit a website?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

6 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

This is normal behavior, Internet Access means that Windows is able to get a response from http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. Otherwise, it will display No Internet Access. What exactly is occurring when you attempt to visit a website?

4d66575ee0d4a0151d66ebfc9f937cc0.png
https://gyazo.com/4d66575ee0d4a0151d66ebfc9f937cc0

my point is that it says that I have internet access but nothing is loading. no applications can connect to the internet

3 minutes ago, antonio_cast1 said:

my point is that it says that I have internet access but nothing is loading. no applications can connect to the internet

Try resetting all network settings with Network reset in Network Status (Win+R, enter ms-settings:network in Run).

image.png.e223f62e1ac18d936f6257f8c7b9392f.png

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

41 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Try resetting all network settings with Network reset in Network Status (Win+R, enter ms-settings:network in Run).

image.png.e223f62e1ac18d936f6257f8c7b9392f.png

this didn't work : /

7 minutes ago, antonio_cast1 said:

this didn't work : /

Unfortunate. Well, generally a site taking too long to respond is caused by a DNS failure. Have you tried attempting to access sites in browsers other than Chrome?

Desktop

Homelab

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

Unfortunate. Well, generally a site taking too long to respond is caused by a DNS failure. Have you tried attempting to access sites in browsers other than Chrome?

yes nothing works on edge either. no application can connect to the internet

Try a traceroute to get a better view of what is going on.  Within a command prompt in Windows:

tracert 8.8.8.8

(or traceroute 8.8.8.8 under Linux).

See if it can at least reach the default gateway/router on your network.

Go to Control Panel>Network and internet>Network and sharing center>Change adapter settings(its on the side)

The right click on your adapter (so probably ethernet) then properties, then Internet protocol version 4.

On the popup window click Use the following ip adress, then also use the followind dns server

Enter an ip adress just pick somthing that would not be already taken, for example if devices have ips of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.12 the pick something like 192.168.1.20

16 hours ago, RMerlin said:

Try a traceroute to get a better view of what is going on.  Within a command prompt in Windows:

tracert 8.8.8.8

(or traceroute 8.8.8.8 under Linux).

See if it can at least reach the default gateway/router on your network.

yes it seems to be able to reach the gateway but the rest of the requests time out

2 hours ago, billhelm said:

sob it worked. thank you so much! so I just had to change my ip address? do you know why this might have caused the problem?

3 minutes ago, antonio_cast1 said:

sob it worked. thank you so much! so I just had to change my ip address? do you know why this might have caused the problem?

Im guessing that either DHCP wasnt working on your router, or somone else had the same ip as you.

Im glad it worked!