Should i buy the 3950x now or wait for the new cpus to come out for the inevitable price drop?

Guest PhatRATTY

Every day i go without buying cpu i lose a little bit of money somewhere in the neighborhood of ten cents.

Would you not get a 4000 series cpu when they come out instead of the 3000 series?

Assuming the new series doesn’t come out until the very end of the year, it would cost you a bit less than $15. Chances are the 3950x will be more than $15 less than it currently Is when 4000 comes out and it drops price, so it would probably be cheaper to buy then or when on a good sale like Black Friday than it would to buy now and not lose that 10 cents a day. But how does your current cpu cost you 10 cents a day compared to the 3950x?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

9 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Would you not get a 4000 series cpu when they come out instead of the 3000 series?

Assuming the new series doesn’t come out until the very end of the year, it would cost you a bit less than $15. Chances are the 3950x will be more than $15 less than it currently Is when 4000 comes out and it drops price, so it would probably be cheaper to buy then or when on a good sale like Black Friday than it would to buy now and not lose that 10 cents a day. But how does your current cpu cost you 10 cents a day compared to the 3950x?

Render times for videos on my youtube channel, optimal upload times etc

Thing is, all the Zen 2 chips are already discounted from their launch prices at this point. The 3950X launched at $749, but it's running for $669, now. That means the 4950X or whatever it ends up being could also launch at $749, and the price of the 3950X will likely stay where it's at. Over the course of about 6 months after launch, both prices will eventually start trending down, but don't expect a firesale on 3000-series chips, just because the 4000-series are out.

In short, wait for Zen 3 if you actually are considering getting Zen 3, or at least want to know what you're settling for before you pull the trigger on the 3950X. If you're only waiting because you're hoping it's going to be cheaper, just buy it now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

Render times for videos on my youtube channel, optimal upload times etc

Then is it not worth it for you to get 4000? They will be more expensive than 3000 but will be faster in rendering times.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked