Anyone find Smart HDR on iPhone a little underwhelming?

Hey all,

Today I had the opportunity to test the camera of my Galaxy Note10+ versus my stepdad's iPhone 11 Pro Max, since our family was considering swapping my phone out for his. I was on board with this idea, since I planned to jump ship to iOS at least eventually, but there was just one hiccup.

I did find a comfortable color language with the iPhone, paired with some great detail, but one spot I felt it fell off was in HDR performance.

There were several scenarios where it came down to the iPhone capturing a more detailed shot of the subject, but my Note doing much better at keeping the background from blowing out.

Blown-out backgrounds in photos bothers me a lot, and it's hard to feel confident that the shots I'd want to take would end up coming out nicely or just looking unprofessional. My Note can keep the entire scene under control nicely, which is something I value extremely.

To any iPhone users on here, what has your camera experience been? Has my short test not done it justice, or have you also found yourself with blown-out backgrounds?

Well, not the exact same hardware, but I have been using an iPhone 6s to film the renovation progress of our auditorium at work. I find that the phone has a hard time sticking to one thing, and just likes to change the exposure at every change of angle. Sure I can "lock" it, but that still doesn't seem to quite do too well. Overall the videos tend to be blown out a bit. Images seem to be a bit better though. Overall, it's better for us to use a phone, rather than an expensive dedicated camera due to the dangerous conditions. (I am on the latest iOS btw).

8 hours ago, puyopuyo said:

Hey all,

Today I had the opportunity to test the camera of my Galaxy Note10+ versus my stepdad's iPhone 11 Pro Max, since our family was considering swapping my phone out for his. I was on board with this idea, since I planned to jump ship to iOS at least eventually, but there was just one hiccup.

I did find a comfortable color language with the iPhone, paired with some great detail, but one spot I felt it fell off was in HDR performance.

There were several scenarios where it came down to the iPhone capturing a more detailed shot of the subject, but my Note doing much better at keeping the background from blowing out.

Blown-out backgrounds in photos bothers me a lot, and it's hard to feel confident that the shots I'd want to take would end up coming out nicely or just looking unprofessional. My Note can keep the entire scene under control nicely, which is something I value extremely.

To any iPhone users on here, what has your camera experience been? Has my short test not done it justice, or have you also found yourself with blown-out backgrounds?

Remember HDR only works on HDR displays also if you care about cameras that much get a real one 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?