Does charging while using the laptop damage the battery?

You know the "Do not use your phone you are charging it" thing right? does it also apply on laptops? But in laptops, especially gaming laptops, you cant avoid it since it boost the performance of the laptop as it give more power and the CPU and GPU can stretch more freely rather than limiting their power for battery life. 

There is nothing that says you can't use a phone while charging it.

That's a myth.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

There is nothing that says you can't use a phone while charging it.

That's a myth.

but does it damage the battery or it is also a myth?

It only would damage the battery if you exceeded the power supplies output and the laptop had to draw from the battery and the brick combined. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It only would damage the battery if you exceeded the power supplies output and the laptop had to draw from the battery and the brick combined. 

Why would that damage the battery?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

if I understand your words correctly, if I plug a power brick to the laptop, it doesnt draw power from the battery anymore and it charges the battery at the same time but it overcharges it right?

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

overcharging? like if you game for hours and the battery is already full last 2 hour ago.

EDIT: nevermind

8 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

BC you are charging the battery and then draining it in rapid succession. Very bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

25 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

You know the "Do not use your phone you are charging it" thing right? does it also apply on laptops? But in laptops, especially gaming laptops, you cant avoid it since it boost the performance of the laptop as it give more power and the CPU and GPU can stretch more freely rather than limiting their power for battery life. 

my battery on my gaming laptop died lol, because i used it and charged it al the time

Yes it is bad for the battery, but unlike most phones these days you can replace the battery so not as great a concern

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

33 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

but does it damage the battery or it is also a myth?

No it does not damage anything.

30 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Um no.

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

BC you are charging the battery and then draining it in rapid succession. Very bad. 

I don't think you understand how electricity works.

If you have a charger that is wired to a battery, and you draw more power than the charger supplies, the device pulls current from both the charger and battery.

It does not "charge and discharge" the battery, it only discharges the battery.

In fact it discharges the battery slower than if there was no charger connected, since the charger supplies the majority of current necessary.

So really it "damages" the battery less than just using it normally does.

Also, 99% of devices these days come with a charger of higher wattage than the device draws, so even at full load the charger would be supplying 100% of current while also charging the battery, just slower.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It does not "charge and discharge" the battery, it only discharges the battery.

Except it does. There are multiple Laptop models that overdraw power and you can watch as the battery indicator drains and fills up, drains and fills up while on the wall. I believe this can happen on 2019 15 MacBook Pros with dGPUs. 

42 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

No. The phone thing is a true thing, but it pertains to ruining the charger.

36 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No. It pulls wall power and battery at the same time, its just like using it just on battery.

24 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No. It pulls the power through the system, and any other power from the charger is put into the battery.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Except it does. There are multiple Laptop models that overdraw power and you can watch as the battery indicator drains and fills up, drains and fills up while on the wall. I believe this can happen on 2019 15 MacBook Pros with dGPUs. 

Well what else would you expect from a MacBook?

22 minutes ago, Rafizia said:

my battery on my gaming laptop died lol, because i used it and charged it al the time

Gaming laptops are designed to be used on charger. The battery probably had too many charge cycles. It died completely and recharged too many times.

37 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

if I understand your words correctly, if I plug a power brick to the laptop, it doesnt draw power from the battery anymore and it charges the battery at the same time but it overcharges it right?

No. Once it has a full battery, it will no longer charge, if it is designed well. Don't use a MacBook as a example, I'll remind you that they made a MacBook that is notorious for cooking itself to death.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Gaming laptops are designed to be used on charger. The battery probably had too many charge cycles. It died completely and recharged too many times.

No. Once it has a full battery, it will no longer charge, if it is designed well. Don't use a MacBook as a example, I'll remind you that they made a MacBook that is notorious for cooking itself to death.

when did laptops have this feature? does every windows laptop have this feature?

8 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

when did laptops have this feature? does every windows laptop have this feature?

https://www.howtogeek.com/124715/should-i-leave-my-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time/

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

1) Um, no, I've never heard of a single device doing that ever. If it happened to all macbooks I'm sure it would be a more well known issue, but I can't find any posts about it. Maybe you can post a few examples of people this has happened to?

2) The way a battery works in combination with a charger is essentially parallel connection, so it is impossible for it to drain and fill up unless the charger was reducing and increasing its output. If the charger outputs a constant wattage then the system either uses less than that (drawing <100% from the charger and the rest charges the battery during use) or it uses more than that (and the battery drains during use as the system draws 100% from the charger plus some % from the battery).

3) The only other way the battery % could go down and up repeatedly is if for some reason the device could not draw power from the charger and could only use battery, in that case it would drain the battery and then the charger would refill it once it hit 95% or whatever and then it would draw from the battery again. This is a flawed design and no modern device has this problem unless there is an issue with the charging circuit.

4) Even if a device did have shitty circuitry that would constantly switch between battery and charger power (which no modern design does) the batteries used inside phones and laptops are LiPOs, which do not have a memory effect like NiCAD. This means you can discharge it 10% and recharge it and that only counts as 10% of a battery cycle, not an entire battery cycle. Discharging it 100% and recharging it would have the same effect as discharging it 10% ten times. So no that also does not cause damage to the battery.

Spoiler