DDR3 ram memory timings important ? also 4x2+8GB vs 4x4GB and RAM compatibility

Hello, i am looking to upgrade how much RAM i have in my PC.

+Is ram memory timings important for DDR3 ? cl9 vs cl11 for example 1600MHZ

+Would adding a 8gb stick with 4x2 instead of having 4x4 affect FPS ? maybe less impact than 4x2 vs 8 alone ?

+How do i figure out if RAM sticks are compatible with each other ? I have 2x4gb old kingston hyperx 10th anniversary edition 1600Mhz sticks, will adding one or two ADATA 1600Mhz sticks work out for example ? or maybe 2x4gb 1600Mhz Gskill Ripjaws ?

1. cl 9 will be ever so slightly faster than cl 11 probably

2. the memory will be running in dual channel. how this affects performance, i am not sure

3. If their timings, and speed along with other factors are close enough, they should be compatible. it is always best to have identical kits

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I currently have 16bg of Corsair Dominator DDR 3 in my system set in 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 configuration. Paired with I5 3570k. Not much of an upgrade path these days?

12 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

1. cl 9 will be ever so slightly faster than cl 11 probably

2. the memory will be running in dual channel. how this affects performance, i am not sure

3. If their timings, and speed along with other factors are close enough, they should be compatible. it is always best to have identical kits

Thanks for answering.

1. Do you think a cl11 would affect the cl9's own performance even though it's in another single channel ?

2. So the one in the single channel will only affect its own performance i guess ?

3.What if their voltages are different ?

16 minutes ago, nyrmetros said:

I currently have 16bg of Corsair Dominator DDR 3 in my system set in 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 configuration. Paired with I5 3570k. Not much of an upgrade path these days?

It's just that it's hard to find the used ram kit/sticks that is perfect for my needs in my country. I have not used this PC for three years.

I got 4x4gb of ddr3 g.skill 1600mHz cl9-9-9-24 for about 60$ CAD shipped on ebay like last year.  Been working like a charm since then and I suggest you find the same exact kit that you already have or go for all the same ram.  2x8gb or 4x4gb is probably the best way to do thing and I'm pertty sure that 2x4gb + 8gb will be suboptimal (just a feeling like that, I've never tested that).   If you go for different kit chances are that they juste won't work at all together (slim chances but can happen).  If they work they will use the lower frenquency and looser timing so you might loose some performance there if they decide to run 1333 cl11 or even worst. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD