Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dominicm00

Why are touchscreens in non-2-in-1 laptops so popular?

Posted · Original PosterOP

It's become standard for thin-and-light laptops to have touchscreens now, even if they aren't 2-in-1s, and for many people not having one is a deal breaker. But, I legitimately can't figure out how a touchscreen is useful on a standard laptop where you can't flip it over and use a pen. Out of curiosity, can the touchscreen-lovers out there explain their workflows and how touchscreens can be used effectively on standard laptops?

Phones. 

Seriously, phones. People have gotten used to interfacing with technology via touch. 

Also, the prevalence of 2 in 1s is quite extensive. Watch someone who is used to using a 2-in-1 attempting to use a traditional laptop. They will constantly attempt to touch the screen before remembering to use the mouse. 

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

Agreed, I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen, even if it's a 2-in-1.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen

i have a matte touch screen... not a laptop though

just a screen with touch input that i use on my desktop

why do i love it? i dont. i dont even touch it. idk why i even got the touchscreen model out of curiosity maybe

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Agreed, I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen, even if it's a 2-in-1.

How do you use a 2-in-1 if it doesn't have a touchscreen...

I'm a casual tech enthusiast just trying to help other people out. Most of the time I speak from my own past experience with similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll do my best to help in any situation I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

for having a trackpad with 2 finger, 3 finger, and 4 finger swipe actions, and a mouse connected to the laptop.. i use the touchscreen a heck of a lot...

it's not a 'primary' input method, but sometimes its just quicker (or feels more natural) to reach for something, than to move your mouse.

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

How do you use a 2-in-1 if it doesn't have a touchscreen...

I despise using touchscreens so I wouldn't use one even if I had the option. I could still use the 2-in-1 part for media consumption or something.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I despise using touchscreens so I wouldn't use one even if I had the option. I could still use the 2-in-1 part for media consumption or something.

I guess... Seems kind of inconvenient though since you'd have to flip it back open whenever you wanted to pause or skip something.

I'm a casual tech enthusiast just trying to help other people out. Most of the time I speak from my own past experience with similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll do my best to help in any situation I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I’ve used laptops with them and never really understood the concept. It just smudges up the screen and gets uncomfortable for your wrist and arm. To each their own, though.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

22 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I guess... Seems kind of inconvenient though since you'd have to flip it back open whenever you wanted to pause or skip something.

you can keep the keyboard and touchpad active if you force it not to go into tablet mode...
Personally though, it can be really handy sometimes.

r5 3600 3.7GHz@1.0125v(0.975v get) | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz|Zotac 2060 amp 1965mhz@900mv | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

36 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Watch someone who is used to using a 2-in-1 attempting to use a traditional laptop. They will constantly attempt to touch the screen before remembering to use the mouse. 

lol I sometimes even do that on my desktop... :P

Having a touchscreen makes many things so much more convenient and quicker. Zooming in, scrolling, clicking on things, quickly drawing or writing something (with my finger(s)), and much more. Even when I have my mouse connected to my laptop with touchscreen, I still very often use it, and desperately miss it on my desktop.

My laptop can also fold into a tablet, but I don't use that much, as it is generally more convenient to keep access to the keyboard and trackpad.

The screen really doesn't get that dirty, even though I have very sweaty hands. I've cleaned it about as often as my regular desktop screens, and it's still just fine. In fact, the keyboard actually gets much dirtier...

I genuinely can't live without my touchscreen anymore.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7