I daily drive a 6s...

MartinIAm

I use an iPhone 6s as my daily driver, after upgrading from a 6. The battery is at 82% maximum capacity and it only lasts 1/4 of a day before dying (if using it). The main thing that I really notice is the battery capacity and everything else works great. Sure, the bezels are a little bit on the chonky side, but I have never used a iPhone X or newer so I don't really mind. It will still be getting software support till next year and I am very happy about that. For a lot of people this phone is way too old, but for me, it's perfectly fine. I LOVE the headphone jack and I use 3d touch all the time. I know for a lot of people the resolution isn't good enough, the bezels are too thick, the camera is too bad, it's battery isn't enough, and it doesn't have wireless charging (or fast charging), but is there any reason for me to switch as of right now?

Feel free to ask me any questions about using something everyday from almost five years ago.

Edit: I am also looking to buy a new iPhone within the next 6-10 months. Anything major differences between iPhone 11 and the original X?

7 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

I use an iPhone 6s as my daily driver, after upgrading from a 6. The battery is at 82% maximum capacity and it only lasts 1/4 of a day before dying (if using it). The main thing that I really notice is the battery capacity and everything else works great. Sure, the bezels are a little bit on the chonky side, but I have never used a iPhone X or newer so I don't really mind. It will still be getting software support till next year and I am very happy about that. For a lot of people this phone is way too old, but for me, it's perfectly fine. I LOVE the headphone jack and I use 3d touch all the time. I know for a lot of people the resolution isn't good enough, the bezels are too thick, the camera is too bad, it's battery isn't enough, and it doesn't have wireless charging (or fast charging), but is there any reason for me to switch as of right now?

Feel free to ask me any questions about using something everyday from almost five years ago.

Why not upgrade to a better phone brand like samsung? (JUST MY OPINION!!) Their newest phone is amazing. Now that is up to you if you want something that is not iphone and that is more expensive. Also 120hz is amazing on phones. The camera is amazing as well.

The main reason I don't like Iphone anymore is that they still update old models and basically kill them. The battery is shit.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

6 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Why not upgrade to a better phone brand like samsung? (JUST MY OPINION!!) Their newest phone is amazing. Now that is up to you if you want something that is not iphone and that is more expensive. Also 120hz is amazing on phones. The camera is amazing as well.

The main reason I don't like Iphone anymore is that they still update old models and basically kill them. The battery is shit.

Im an ios developer and I haven't learned to develop for Android yet. Upgrading to Android would be a positive in a lot of ways, meaning I would have to spend double to money, for a new iPhone + android. But if I wasn't, I would most likely upgrade to it.

14 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

I am currently using the iPhone 6 16GB, still usable but would lag in demand requiring games

12 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

It's weird to think that the iPhone 6 is so outdated now. I remember when it first came out like it was yesterday. As far as why you should switch, I think the battery life says enough. I would hate to have to charge my phone several times a day. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, and I can still squeeze 2 full days of battery life out of it after a few years, and it has pretty much the most up-to-date software.

Aside from better battery life, I don't really see a good reason to upgrade to a newer iPhone. I don't know what your budget is, but there are plenty of great Android phones out there at any price range, and pretty much anything you would get would be an upgrade from what you have right now.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

Im an ios developer and I haven't learned to develop for Android yet. Upgrading to Android would be a positive in a lot of ways, meaning I would have to spend double to money, for a new iPhone + android. But if I wasn't, I would most likely upgrade to it.

The new iPhone SE could be a decent upgrade for you. You're already used to the body style it uses, and you've mentioned that you aren't bothered that much by the bezels. As much as I don't like apple, it's a pretty cheap upgrade that would give you better performance and battery life, while keeping you in the Apple ecosystem

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I've been daily driving an iPhone 7 for a few years now. Other than the fact that I'd want a larger screen and the battery is crap, it's still more than usable and doesn't feel too outdated at all, and one of those two things I mentioned can be fairly easily fixed.

I'm curious to see what the iPhone 12 will offer. If it ends up underwhelming or Apple messes something up, I'll either look to get a discounted 11 Pro, or stick with my 7 for a little longer and maybe get just get a new battery for it and call it a day.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

still rockin a 5c, not even a first gen SE. battery life aint terrible but i generally take pretty good care of my stuff, the ios version is from before battery monitoring though lmao

apple does a very very good job of making you reliant on their ecosystem and it'd be a pain in the ass for me to switch to android. i strongly dislike apple for many reasons, but at least their products just work. other than being really old and suffering from planned obsolescence, this little phone aint too bad. id certainly like to be free of the chains apple has wrought upon me but it does what i need it to do, for the most part...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I mean, if you can't find a reason to upgrade, why do you have to? (though I just upgraded to a different phone for shits and giggles pretty much)

Replacing the battery in a 6S is pretty easy you should give it a try, but since Apple is shit, you'd probably lose touch ID functionality if you do (that's what happened to my mum's 6S she had a couple years ago, now it's just an iPod).

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

The battery would be the main reason to upgrade. Personally, I'd get the iPhone 12 when it comes out provided they don't do anything stupid.

Or whatever they call the one after that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Upgrade when your 6s doesn't do what you want it to. Does it take good enough pictures? Does it last you through the day? Is it absolutely wrecked from 2+ years of neglectful use? These are generally the questions I ask myself before I decide to get a new phone. As for which one to get, that's for you to decide, but I really like my iPhone 11, and I bet you would too if you like the 6s.

ASU

54 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

Replacing the battery in a 6S is pretty easy you should give it a try, but since Apple is shit, you'd probably lose touch ID functionality if you do (that's what happened to my mum's 6S she had a couple years ago, now it's just an iPod).

I thought replacing the battery simply disabled battery stats. If the touch ID got lost then that might mean that you may have replaced the fingerprint sensor.

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Upgrade when your 6s doesn't do what you want it to. Does it take good enough pictures? Does it last you through the day? Is it absolutely wrecked from 2+ years of neglectful use? These are generally the questions I ask myself before I decide to get a new phone. As for which one to get, that's for you to decide, but I really like my iPhone 11, and I bet you would too if you like the 6s.

Takes okay pictures. It doesn't last me throughout the day. I have to charge it at least 2-3 times to get through my day. It's not wrecked it's actually in good condition. I will most likely be upgrading to either SE (SE) or the 11 next year because software support is supposed to be dropped next year. But 6 years is still very good.

1 minute ago, MartinIAm said:

Takes okay pictures. It doesn't last me throughout the day. I have to charge it at least 2-3 times to get through my day. It's not wrecked it's actually in good condition. I will most likely be upgrading to either SE (SE) or the 11 next year because software support is supposed to be dropped next year. But 6 years is still very good.

Jeez I couldn't deal with that. If my phone can't last me through the day I would lose it and it would actually impact my work as I am constantly on it for Slack and the like. If I need to recharge more than once a day that would be a problem for me.

ASU

1 hour ago, iBabySlapper said:

I mean, if you can't find a reason to upgrade, why do you have to? (though I just upgraded to a different phone for shits and giggles pretty much)

Battery swaps don't cause Touch ID to stop working. The only thing that does that either a board swap while keeping the original sensor or a sensor swap while keeping the original board. This would commonly happen with cheap third party screen replacements because the repair workers would use a "full assembly" with a home button already attached instead of replacing just the screen, which takes a little more effort.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 hours ago, MartinIAm said:

The 6S is getting iOS 14 which is good. Check how much a battery replacement would be or you can get an iPhone 8 used for like £250 or a new SE. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

19 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

That's not really true these days, though. For the past few years Apple has made a point of optimizing iOS updates so they run more elegantly on "trailing edge" iPhones. Before my folks upgraded to the iPhone 11, they were using the iPhone 6 and didn't have any significant performance issues. They just knew that OS support was running out, and knew that phones had advanced a lot in five years.

The battery capacity is also considerably higher on virtually any iPhone with a notch, so I wouldn't be surprised if they last longer overall.

Besides, I never quite get the logic where people spin Google's poor Android update policies into a positive. "Yeah, look at how quickly Google and Android OEMs abandon phones! It's amazing! My phone still runs like it did a couple of years ago, and all I had to do was give up major new features and leave my phone permanently vulnerable to serious exploits."

I’d look into a battery replacement if you could, it’s only a few bucks. I went from a 5S to a 7 and rolled with that for about two and a half years. The sound in my 7 was going, it was hard for my wife and kids to hear me during FaceTime, my phone kept breaking up. I went to a XS Max from the 7, and she left her 7 for the new SE. If I wasn’t so cheap I would have gotten the 11 Max, but forget it. The android side has nice hardware, but personally I don’t like the os, but I don’t have a ton of experience with it. I have to say the se is pretty zippy, but I prefer the full featured iPhone experience, compared to the stripped out experience you get with the SE.

Ive played with the different iOS 14 betas, it should be pretty good when it’s done. Also, batteries are a consumable, meaning they wear over time. Once it gets down to 80% capacity it’s pretty much done. It’s just the way it is with current tech. A battery replacement with new gaskets is like 50 bucks usd. And if you get a cool tech he will bring your phone back up to snuff at no cost. A lot of people don’t like Apple, but for stuff like that they are awesome. At least here in Canada they are. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

On 8/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Tigerleon said:

no 

On 8/10/2020 at 6:25 AM, Tigerleon said:

That's the feature on their flagship Note 20 Ultra phone, which costs, mind you, $1299. Their $999 Note 20 is hot garbage compare to everything else at that price on the market.

Samsung's device was really good last year, but the Exynos 990 fiasco and their price hike every year make them even more overpriced than Apple, even

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar